Looking To Buy a Used Car?

Re: Looking to Buy a USED Car? (Must Read)

. If you wish to purchase your desired car under a packed budget and are ready to compromise with sense of “New” car, Scent of fresh upholstery, this is the right article for you. Read on.

What are the Benefits of Buying Used?
Like new, buying a used car has its own advantages as well as disadvantages. .

If we get a sparingly used car, lack of scent of new upholstery is also not a problem now a days.With 3 M , meguar car detailing , interior and exterior of a car can be converted as plush and posh as a brand new car approx.@ Rs 6 to 8 k.

I also searched for sparingly used verna and altis packed with abs and airbags, but couldn't get one.

One disadvantage is that friends and foes can make faces for buying used vs new car.
But if my car is packed with 6 airbags , abs (safty ), I will just question their logic and wisdom behind buying a new car's smell in lieu of safty features at the same cost. After all sar salamat toh pagadi pachas, meaning, If life and limb is in good condition, one can buy fifty cars.[glasses]

One important disadvantage of second hand car is, many manufactuers deny warranties, extended warranties , free servicings (bought by previous owner) once the owners name changes on their records.

Facing problems with money-Bloody seller is not accepting to take the Car

Guys,

Our Vento didn't arrived.Why because,we should pay extra 2.5L for this.Already had 4.3L,but the seller told us to pay another 2.5L for taking delivery.Just now,had a talk with our Swift buyer and dad said,we'll pay 2.5L after next week.And,dad said,give me 1 week time,will give 2.5L.But,the seller is not accepting to take the Car[frustration].What we should do now?

Last edited by a moderator:

@m_s , dear young n' enthu dude, ideally car seller won't hand over the car unless full amount is paid.
But if he is known to you and car is fully insured , should not create too much fuss to hand over the car.
BTW , please provide details of buying experience , any mods planned on separate thread.And many congratulations for graduating to world class technology , that too German.vw.

What about this deal?
Used 2010 Tata Indica Vista Aqua 1.3 Quadrajet (D421491) for sale in Bangalore - CarWale

Well i saw the car, test drove it, did not find much of issues except for the Air-con which did not have effective cooling and was making some sort of noise inside the cabin, from the suspension and engine point of view i did not suspect any unusual behavior from the car

We are plann to shell out 4 lakhs for this and this is March 2010 Aqua model, has run 56000, worth a shot?

What about this deal?
Used 2010 Tata Indica Vista Aqua 1.3 Quadrajet (D421491) for sale in Bangalore - CarWale

Well i saw the car, test drove it, did not find much of issues except for the Air-con which did not have effective cooling and was making some sort of noise inside the cabin, from the suspension and engine point of view i did not suspect any unusual behavior from the car

We are plann to shell out 4 lakhs for this and this is March 2010 Aqua model, has run 56000, worth a shot?

Hi, Vishwas I would advise you to stay off from this car as its odo is definitely tampered.

Please check the last service mileage. We verified it was serviced at 1.11 lac kms as per TASS on 07/2012.

By the way did you see the Car in Classic Automobiles in BTM ? They are masters in tampering. [:D]

Thanks,
Anshuman

Hi, Vishwas I would advise you to stay off from this car as its odo is definitely tampered.

Please check the last service mileage. We verified it was serviced at 1.11 lac kms as per TASS on 07/2012.
[surprise], thank you for rescuing my friend, i did not know about it! We decided upon it, luckily we thought something was not right and left it there itself, even the air con isn't working right? It makes some sort of noise when switched on.

By the way did you see the Car in Classic Automobiles in BTM ? They are masters in tampering. [:D]
Its in BTM classic motors only. Bah criminals these are.
Lesson learnt, never ever buy an used car [glasses].

Buying used cars from dealers in Bangalore is like walking straight to Lion's cave. The dealer would con you by any means.

If you want to buy used car, buy single owner cars from known people, company portals, even olx or quickr but from individuals.

Well I did not TD this particular car, but saw from outside only.

The Classic guys are real crook. In 2011, one of my friend wanted to buy an used car, so we went to their outlet near Ashoka Pillar. We found a nice Indigo XL Silver fully loaded odo showing 53K and all nice and well. Took a test drive everything was fine. Just called an acquaintance at TASS to check the service history. To our shock he said it was last serviced at 90K a month back.
When I mentioned same to the Classic SE he disappeared into the office and reappeared after 10 mins to say the particular car was already booked by someone.

Did you notice all cars with dealers will have a maximum mileage of 50K to 60K range. You will never find any car with any dealer with mileage more than that. [:D]

Cheers,
Anshuman

Well i saw the car, test drove it, did not find much of issues except for the Air-con which did not have effective cooling and was making some sort of noise

Stay away , not for the noise but for the ' ineffective cooling' AC cooling and engine cooling are interrelated.
Have you checked engine temp.during TD on DIS.?

It is better to discuss this on http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Last edited:
I would prefer a used car in most cases. I have seen many immaculate 3-series in classifieds for hardly 6 lac.

Advantages:
NO DEPRICIATION!!!! 'nuff said
No warranty: This might be absurd, but you can do whatever you wanna do without the fear of voiding the warranty.
More car for same/less money or same car for damn less money.
And when you buy your wife (mostly) a car, YOU are not the one who is crying in the bedroom after a scratch on the paintwork.

Disadvantages:
No warranty: Okay, you can do whatever you want but what happens when you seriously need the warranty so that you just might save BIG bucks. And, similarly no roadside assistance is offered.

Reduced reliability, combined with lack of RD-side assistance.
Facelift: If a newer model has been released, you want that one with better looks, more features etc. and the availability of spares is an issue.

I think that's enough justification so that I may buy a used car. Only if I could convince my mother...I could own a BMW. But I wanna own a new Polo, so no thanks.

A kind note to all those who are looking to buy a used car.

- Fix your budget
Hope this is the first thing to consider while buying a car (or anything) It may be a fixed amount or at some band.

-Revisit your needs
Size & category (considering the paring constrains, city drive-ability, etc)
Capacity (4/5/6/7/8 seater)
Monthly running (to decide the fuel)
Transmission (MT/AT)
Any other special requirements

- Decide what you want
Journey before deciding the destination will be never ending.

I came across few of my friends wanted to buy a used car, when I ask them "what is requirement?" I got the below answers, and my feelings in bracket
- a used car (what else? a used train? no, it's not for sale)
- some Japanese good looking, cheap to buy, maintenance free car (don't use it, no maintenance required. or ask your in-laws to pay the service bills - maintenance will be "free")
- You tell me what should I buy (am I buying it?)
- Something bigger with less money (get a scrapped bus / truck)
- He got "X" car for 3L, I want a similar one for 2L (don't stand in front of me)

Before starting your hunt for used vehicle, do the homework properly. After deciding the budget, vehicle type, size & capacity then start searching the web for the list of vehicles that satisfy the criteria.

- Where to look for used vehicles?
- Trusted mechanic
- Friends & relatives
- Online classifieds
- News paper classifieds
- Used car dealers

Most important "to-do" is read the ad carefully (and fully) I have my hands on experience as both Buyer & seller as well. Wanted to share my experience when selling my cars.

Below is the details I posted in my ad with 8 recent photographs covering all angles of exterior & interior.
Make: Fiat
Model: Linea
Variant: 1.3MJD Emotion
Fuel Type: Deisel
Year: 2009
Odo reading: 66xxx km
No. of owners: 2 (including me)
Color: Flamenco Red
Insurance: Comprehensive valid till mm/yyyy
Price: 375000/- (Negotiable)
Accessories: Parking sensor / art leather seat cover

I got irritating calls from few buyers and here is the conversation (B: Buyer, M: Me)

B: Hello, Your car is up for sale?
M: Yes, May I know your name please? where are you calling from?
B: I'm from xxxxx, what model is it?
M: Every detail is posted on the ad, haven't you read that?
B: <Silence>
M: Revisit the ad and then call me if you are interested or you have nay further query.
------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Hello, I have seen your ad for Linea in web, is it still available?
M: Yes
B: Is it petrol or diesel?
M: It is already mentioned in the ad
B: oh, ok. Are you the 1st owner?
M: No. Again it is mentioned in the ad
B: ok, What is the final price?
M: 3.5L
B: I'm looking for 2L
M: Sorry, I'm not selling half of my car
-------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Hello,
<regular blahblahblah>
B: What is the final price?
M: 3.5L
B: Fiat does not hold a good resale value
M: Then why should you buy one?
B: I mean to say 3.5L is too high. Similar cars are available for 2.5L onwards
M: If it is available, go and get one
--------------------------------------------------------------------
B: How about the FE?
M: I'm getting around 17kmpl for city driving & 20kmpl+ during highway cruising)
B: Cost of maintenance?
M: Costlier than Maruti and cheaper than Honda / Skoda
B: How is ride quality?
M: Good
B: How is the vehicle when compared with Fiesta?
M: That's subjective, but I would rate Linea is better than Fiesta
B: My friend said Fiesta gives more mileage than Linea
B: Also resale value for Fiesta is good
M: So?
B: How much can I sell this vehicle after 2 years?
M: Sir, you wont be selling it, since you will not be buying it
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Can you bring the car to zzzz city? (which is 200km away from my location)
M: Sorry I can't. If you visit my city or somewhere closer do let me know
B: It's just 200km, why don't you come? If I like the car, I will buy
M: Ya, if it's just 200km, why don't you come? If I like your approach, I will sell
B: <silence>
M: <disconnected>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the above conversation I may sound a bit rude. But I'm left with no other option to handle these idiots.

News paper ad will not have much information to limit the space and that is an exception, but for the online classifieds (ads with clear description) kind request to buyers is to read the ad a couple of times before calling the seller.

^^ If you put ad in open portals like OLX and Quickr all sorts of morons keep calling you. But if you are patient to sell you will find right buyer and right negotiations.

Top Bottom