Looking To Buy a DSLR, Need Your Suggestions

Hey Akash I am looking to also hijack your thread for a similar requirement of a DSLR , dont mind please.[;)]
Folks please suggest a decent one, i am mostly looking for canon EOS series 550, 600 or 650D or something like that with a good lens combination.
I think buying in the US (with international warranty) would still come cheaper than buying in india ?
For your query I am canon EOS 550D owner having a kit lens, EF 50mm F1.8 & EFS 55-250 F4-5.6. The camera is a good one and has really good battery backup. I have used it quite a lot has about 6k+ shutter count. Definitely buying the SLR in US is cheaper compared to buying in India.

However if you are ready to put a bit more money for the additional things added in 600D then go for it, I don't remember exactly but there is not much difference in features compared to 550D and 600D

@Akash

I am bit late in this thread and by now the decisions are changed. I have read and heard from friends that Canon is superior than Nikon, but do not know much on that.

One suggestion to you, please also contact our member Sreejesh in Bangalore for advice. I really love his photography work on our Independence day meet and recent Bangalore meet.[:)]

For your query I am canon EOS 550D owner having a kit lens, EF 50mm F1.8 & EFS 55-250 F4-5.6. The camera is a good one and has really good battery backup. I have used it quite a lot has about 6k+ shutter count. Definitely buying the SLR in US is cheaper compared to buying in India.

However if you are ready to put a bit more money for the additional things added in 600D then go for it, I don't remember exactly but there is not much difference in features compared to 550D and 600D
Thanks EnfieldRyder, can you please post some pics from your 550D ?[clap]

zengetz

Suspended
I'm a Nikon user and honestly there really is no difference between both Nikon or Canon wu compare when you compare similar models.

My thought process for choosing Nikon was that Canon does multiple products, Camera, Printers etc. Nikon does only one thing and that's camera and that's what they do best.

My gear:

Nikon D3100
Nikor 18-55 Kit lens
Tamron 70-300 AFS lens
Manfrotto tripod

Marumi Circular Polarizer filter
Hoya ND and UV filters.

Note: battery backup has never been a showstopper atleast when you use a DSLR. A tip to ensure you get maximum battery output is not to use the Live view. Use the Viewfinder instead. Keep flash to a minimum. I have taken over 250 shots each time before getting a recharge.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am also a Nikon user for DSLR and Sony for Pointshoot.

I am using Nikon D5000 with rotating LCD display and lenses are:
1:AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
2: AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED .

Could you please tell me what exactly are "Marumi Circular Polarizer filter
Hoya ND and UV filters". I am still catching up the skills on DSLR.

It's true battery backup of Nikon DSLR is good enough. My camera is almost 2 years old , purchased from Tokyo-Akhiyabara.

zengetz

Suspended
The CPL or the circular polarizing filter is screw mounted on your lens and helps in cutting off light reflections of the subjects that you are shooting. You can control the amount of reflections that you wish to cut on your subjects.

Here's a few links that can help you better understand the filters

CPL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)
ND Filter: Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UV filter: UV filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Needless to say - the more you click the more you learn :)

Thanks EnfieldRyder, can you please post some pics from your 550D ?[clap]
Check out my photostream on Flickr at: Flickr: EnfieldRyder's Photostream

Till about Page 5 most pics are from the DSLR, some are from my P&S, on the right side of the pic you can see in the description with which camera the photo was taken.

Also if you want to know more info or good reviews then you can visit http://photography-on-the.net/forum, this is an exclusive Canon users forum however there are quite good number of Nikon users in it as well.

@Zengetz do you shoot RAW or in JPEG? I am struggling to get a speedlite for my camera, buying even the Yongnuos is expensive here! Trying to get it from US but hard luck.

Last edited:
battery backup has never been a showstopper atleast when you use a DSLR. A tip to ensure you get maximum battery output is not to use the Live view. Use the Viewfinder instead. Keep flash to a minimum. I have taken over 250 shots each time before getting a recharge.
Very true. Just finished over a thousand shots this weekend and the battery is still over the 50% mark. I don't use live view and Flash. But I did review all the shot at the end of the day on the LCD.

batt.jpg

I m also looking for a DSLR for us.Just now,saw Nikon and Canon DSLR's.I would be asking help from my friends,who are having Canon DSLR's.

Any help which DSLR is better?
This is a common question, the best way to find out which is better is to read reviews about the various cameras and depending on your need buy the one that suits you and your pocket. You may go to Digital Photography Review for reviews on different DSLRs

I have nikon D3000 a model before 3100 was launched and would say go for nikon without doubts, as HR detailed you about the lens motor that all the lenses carries so no worries, m gifting myself a new lens either a 50-200 or 300 depending on the deal i get, m loving this camera for sure, much fun to use and learn everytime if you really love photography from the usual PnS ones.

Thread Starter #42
I had planned to purchase Nikon3100 this month itself, however during my leave period last week, i got so busy with some personal stuff that couldnt manage time to check out any of the cams.
Lets see, when i can get my hands on one.

I own a Nikon D3100 with standard 18-55mm VR lens kit and an additional 55-300mm VR lens kit. Bought it a few moths back.Works really well though i am still a beginner in photography.

Thread Starter #44
An update, my sister got herself a Sony CyberShot DSC-HX10V. So sadly, i wont be able to gift DSLR to her.

But the great part is that i will be gifting it to myself[lol].
Update guys. Got Nikon D3200 (with 18-55mm lens) as advance birthday gift from my parents[:)]. As per them, D3200 is a little better than D3100 which I found out later. As a matter of fact, I was not aware of this particular model[stupid].
Let me head to this thread to get a hang of basics.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase [clap]! Happy Clicking. Hope you got at a very good price. (As a gift, you cant bargain lot when parents are purchasing for you)

Top Bottom