Looking For Second Hand Ambassador Diesel Isuzu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

350Z

Core Team
Hi, it is EX variant. What can be the price quoted?

Also I'll be sure to check its history out etc. etc.
Go through this thread (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html). It'll help to understand what must be checked before purchasing a second hand car. And for the base EX, You can negotiate for around Rs.10,000+ more. The dealer is asking too high, considering the condition of car you have described. At any case, don't pay more than Rs.2.5 Lakhs for this model.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey buddy just went through this thread. For your budget and your requirements why don't you look at Safari or Sierra? Safari or Sierra wont be giving the FE which you are expecting but fits all your other requirements perfectly. For your budget you will be able to see many Safari's and Sierra's in the market.

Thread Starter #34
Thanks all. Yeah, I quoted 2.4 L as the last and final price. They are asking around 3 L. I will ask my father to take a look at the vehicle today and see if I can bring the price down to my asking price.

I will also ask the Concorde motors seconds sales people to inform me if there is a car available around this range.

Thread Starter #36
Not yet, I'm taking my father along to give the car a thorough inspection today. I might also take my local mechanic who's very trustworthy and experienced.

I didn't commit anything at all yet. In fact, I might look at other sellers too. I am still in the process of initial exploration.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Not yet, I'm taking my father along to give the car a thorough inspection today. I might also take my local mechanic who's very trustworthy and experienced.

I didn't commit anything at all yet. In fact, I might look at other sellers too. I am still in the process of initial exploration.
The saying that outcome of wait is always sweet suits very apt for second hand car research in my opinion. If you keep searching and stay patient, you’ll definitely come across the model of your choice but then, it’s also important to take the right decisions at right time. Just seal the deal without delay if you ever find a suitable car of your choice. Good luck!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #38
Thanks. Having talked to the people at Concorde, they are saying that resale value of pre-Dicor Safari is quite less and anything above 2 Lakhs is too much. A good friend who works at the place also said don't go for the 3.0 litre dicor engine at any cost as spares are not available for that engine model. But I think the earlier TCIC engine is preferable in that case as the 2.2 dicor models are way too expensive for my budget at present. However, as I said before, the sellers seem to be fixated around the 3-4 Lakh mark on the older models around 2003-2004 which I feel is too high.

I am suddenly in the process of considering an INDIGO as well. it's a sedan, has proper boot, and it has more height than most other sedans. I've heard many people say Indigo is a rugged and comfortable car as well. I've even heard somebody saying that INDIGO is a modern day ambassador equivalent. But I have yet to see the car and judge its actual ground clearance, height, seating comfort etc.

I think it should meet 70% of what I asked for, but I haven't seen the vehicle yet. Am going to the Concorde dealership today to take a look at the car.

What do you think?

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
You have already put it well that Indigo will fulfil almost 70% of your actual requirements. We didn’t suggest it earlier, keeping in mind the factors that you told us, such as road presence, ground clearance and capability to tackle bad terrain etc. which sedans in your budget would usually lack. It’s better to check the car in person from all aspects so that it’ll become easier for you to decide according your needs.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #40
Yes, the more I think about it, it almosts seems that if only I could find a nice, ambassador diesel isuzu I would be very happy with everything. Would fit my budget, is cheaper in maintenance, good solid car, nice height and driving comfort if properly maintained, and with the classic look "king of the road" presence and which can be driven bravely in slightly rougher roads. Pity that it's so rare nowadays.

I would have to consider a Tourist driven Amby (with all its disadvantages) and then cancel the T-permit if I buy it, as private vehicles are so, so rare.

A good friend who works at the place also said don't go for the 3.0 litre dicor engine at any cost as spares are not available for that engine model.
[shock] unless tata has stopped producing tata 407 there are no way engine will have spare problem because 3.0 uses same engine . Also 3.0 engine don't go any where before 2L KM which has been confirmed by my firend who's 3.0 has already completed 2.35L KM last time i meet him and no engine overhaul has been done on it . Still i say go for tcic or indigo

Thread Starter #42
Oh, well. The 3.0 L dicor has fuel economy issues as well I suppose. But anyway, I am not all that enthused about these smaller cars, sedans or hatchbacks notwithstanding. It seems to me just tools to get the job done with no pleasure of ownership associated with them like you get with Amby or other bigger vehicles.

Indigo is actually much smaller than I expected to be frank on direct contact though it's seating is of course definitely comfortable. And it looks just like an indica from the front which is a big disappointment.

Most of today's sedans and hatchbacks look so similar to each other, I couldn't make one from the other. That's what I dislike. No character or style statement. No road presence.

Pity. I would avoid buying a car at all if I had to choose from today's junk.

Guess I'll wait a few months even but I will settle with nothing other than an amby.

Thread Starter #44
hmm i get 11 with 100% ac in city and 15 with 100% AC on highway . i don't think so 3.0 have FE issue . As my safari is 3.0 .
I heard it gave 8-10 in city. If you get more it's definitely a good thing. I will take a look at the vehicle again. It's tempting to buy a big car at a lower price tag.

Thanks for the info.

But warning dicor are more expensive to maintain then tcic as local mechanic can't work on dicor as its more depend on ECU even accelerator pedal is wired one .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom