Looking For Second Hand Ambassador Diesel Isuzu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

350Z

Core Team
I am fine with either, but could somebody give me an idea of maintenance costs of a vehicle like Sumo or Bolero? especially purchased second hand and done some miles?

Resale value of Sumo is quite high at least here in Tamil Nadu, so it's hard to find a vehicle within that budget which has not done more than 100,000 kms. Also I'm not the biggest fan of Sumo. It's not the most good looking vehicle out there.

I'm not all that well versed about Bolero. Not sure if it's discontinued or still in manufacture? I heard that Mahindra vehicles are not all that comfortable, but this is purely hearsay. I know very little about Mahindra. I don't even think I've got into a Xylo or Scorpio even.
The Mahindra Bolero is still being produced. I have sat in both the cars and arguably, Sumo is more spacious and comfortable. As far as the maintenance goes, the existing owners could help better and all I can point out is that Bolero has comparatively cheaper spare parts except for a few such as front fender and radiator hose set. You can pay a visit to after sales workshops of both to know the actual scenario. Goodluck.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #17
Thanks again.

Will ask advice at the Concorde dealer/service center about this.

I'm surprised to see that Bolero is still in manufacture with Scorpio and Xylo taking over.

350Z

Core Team
Thanks again.

Will ask advice at the Concorde dealer/service center about this.

I'm surprised to see that Bolero is still in manufacture with Scorpio and Xylo taking over.
You're welcome. Please feel free to post if you have any more queries in future. We're always happy to help. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #19
Yes, one of the reasons I couldn't consider these vehicles is because SUV/MUV seems to have a high resale value at least going by the prices asked in classifieds pages. At Rs, 2-2.5 lakh range among SUv/MUV it seems only very old or very used vehicles are available.

My father also spoke of the maintenance costs being higher.

That's why I considered the Ambassador a far more reasonable choice, considering it's a car and it's not ridiculously highly priced as far as the second hand market is concerned and with any problems the local mechanic whom I know well can easily fix them.

350Z

Core Team
I'm afraid that more than the maintenance costs, the cost of refurbishment could be a major concern. That is why, it is advised to be very picky and careful when it comes to second hand cars.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #21
I partially take back what I said about Ambys being reasonably priced. It seems Isuzu Ambies are still in reasonable demand and the prices asked is around 2-3 lakhs even for a 8-10 year old vehicle which I personally think is too high. Whether they get that price or not is another issue however.

I am also considering a Safari at the moment in a reasonable budget. Wonder if it is worth seeing an old 2004 or 2003 Safari. What is the disadvantage of a pre-Dicor engine? What should I look out for? Any advice from Safari owners would be welcome.

350Z

Core Team
Calling Ilango and HolySatan. These members have a good experience in dealing in second hand cars and can help to guide about the Safari. Since they 'almost' bought a Pre-Dicor model once. Mastersquall owns a Safari too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

TCIC ie the Pre Dicor engine is one of the best mill Tata Safari ever had. It is low on maintenance. Also getting a TCIC will be easy on pockets, though finding a low run model would be a bit difficult.

Thread Starter #24
Thanks, Akash. I found a few ads for old Safaris, with not too much mileage (around 70000-80000 km). Will follow them up.

Thread Starter #27
I saw a 2004 model vehicle today at a dealer. Done around 62000 km. I think the clutch plate is worn out because there is a noise whenever I release the clutch during the test drive. Interiors need a bit of work as some of the upholstery is torn (left front door), but not much. A/c is out of gas. Engine looks in decent condition. Battery is a 2010 Amaron battery. Horn is not working and I suspect a bit of electrical work to be done with respect to lamps, reverse light, indicator etc.

How much would it go for? Single owner. Asking price is 3.4 lakh.

350Z

Core Team
Assuming that it's 4x2 LX version, I don't think that you should pay any more than Rs.2.5 - Rs.2.8 Lakhs for it. Also make sure to verify rest of the history of this car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

This is my personal opinion dude but i feel amby doesnt makes good daily car anymore and that also used one!! now you are looking for safari but can afford maintenance?? it will be higher than bolero,sumo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom