Looking For Second Hand Ambassador Diesel Isuzu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi guys.

Is it worth going for an Amby Isuzu 2000 DSZ classic for a price range of around 1 to 1.5 Lakhs?

I love amby myself. Owned a Petrol 1800 ISZ classic (2000 model) for around 9 months but sold it off because of increasing petrol price.

Is it worth checking out? Advice would be appreciated.

Hello Harishankar,

A warm Welcome to The Automotive India.

I believe you can get an Amby Isuzu 2.0 at a much lower price. A lot depends upon the condition of the car and the mileage clocked till date. Will you please throw some light on the year and miles covered by the car mentioned by you in the post?

Thread Starter #3
I've not yet fixed on any. Unfortunately there's not many private owned ambassadors plying the roads at the moment in Chennai.

I recently saw a vehicle 2005 Model Isuzu diesel, power steering, A/c, single owner, done about 60000 kms, he asked 2.2 lakhs for it and I thought it was a bit high. Unfortunately even that is now sold so at present I haven't identified any vehicles yet.

There are very few private ambys out there currently and most of the market is full of T-board which I don't want to consider.

Thread Starter #5
I like the amby because it is so easy to get in and out and rear seat is so comfortable for passenger ride. And I loved the Isuzu petrol engine. Very nice. But I cannot afford the petrol prices now. So I sold it off.

I also like its ruggedness. Contessa is even rarer to find and I have hardly seen a single one on the road these days.

Kerala / Rajasthan / Bengal is still selling the new amby approx 500 per month in all 3 states put together, mostly used in Taxi segment but you will definitely find good buy in these states.

I feel Kolkata would be the best place to buy the model you are looking for. They still have private cabs as Amby, unlike Other cities where these classics are a rare sight.

Thread Starter #8
I'm still looking guys. Seems it's hard to find private owned amby diesels around here. Is it worth considering T-board vehicles? (I am aware of the disadvantages of T-board also particularly with reference to miles run and also I have to be careful about not buying vehicles involved in accidents, but if I get at a low enough price I wonder if it is worth it).

Thread Starter #9
Saw one today. 2003 model isuzu diesel but the state of the body was bad since it was kept in the rain and sun with no protection for some years. Too much tinkering work is needed - body has blisters and rust in the edges.

He asked 2 Lakh which I felt was too high for a vehicle in that condition. However, engine was good, car done only around 70,000 km, suspension and brake was re-done well, tyres almost brand new, battery looked in fair condition.

Only thing, the price asked is too high. Tinkering will cost me at least 10% of the car price which is a lot. And I don't like driving around a rust-bucket.

350Z

Core Team
Hello Hari, Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Since you have already owned an Ambassador yourself in the past, you must know much better about the good’s and bad’s of this car than many of us. If you’re really interested to own an Amby again – my only advice is to consider well in advance that you’re buying a classic car, which is most likely expected to have certain flaws and will need a bit of refurbishment. I have messaged you a couple of links, and will let you know if come across the model of your interest in future.

I like the amby because it is so easy to get in and out and rear seat is so comfortable for passenger ride. And I loved the Isuzu petrol engine. Very nice. But I cannot afford the petrol prices now. So I sold it off.
Did you give a thought to install CNG / LPG?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11
Hello, thanks for the link.

I knew of those cars before. The first one is not Isuzu diesel - it is trekker engine and located outside chennai. I contacted the owner.

The second link also I came across before but I didn't follow up as 1. the car is quite old and 2. it's located in Coimbatore and 3. it's quite old ad now so not sure if it's still available.

I thought of installing CNG/LPG but they no longer endorse LPG kits here and CNG is not yet widely available in Chennai (CNG filling stations located only at 2 places, I believe).

I thought that was more trouble than worth.

I want to own a reasonable big and sturdy car but I cannot afford the maintenance costs of SUV or MUV and I hate their shape too. Amby seemed perfect option, only it's so rare to find private owners these days.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
I want to own a reasonable big and sturdy car but I cannot afford the maintenance costs of SUV or MUV and I hate their shape too. Amby seemed perfect option, only it's so rare to find private owners these days.
From this statement, I can make out that you’re considering purchasing the car not only for passion but also for regular usage. If that’s the case – could you tell us more about the preferences and exact budget? Maybe we can help you to choose some suitable alternative car? (if Ambassador is not available).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #13
Car should be of reasonable height to get in and out. Seat and leg room should be adequate for a six feet tall person. I don't want a low car like the ones we get these days which makes me slouch and give me back-pain if I drive for a few hours. Also a car that is fitted for both long distance and city use with reasonably good ground clearance.

I also am looking for something that has a good street presence which I won't be scared of denting at the slightest brush so body should be reasonably tough. Too many two wheelers and autorickshaws don't care about small cars and graze your rearview mirror or bumper.

Also a vehicle with good ground clearance which I can bravely drive in rougher roads. Mileage should be around 13-14 kmpl or more in city. In highway travel around 16-18 kmpl would be fine.

Budget (second hand) around 2-2.5 lakhs but not more.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
With the kind of priorities which you’ve mentioned, a hatchback is easily ruled out. You might want to check out either the Tata Sumo Victa or Mahindra Bolero. I have come across some neat examples of them in this much budget, but again – this applies for Delhi. So you’ll need to verify what’s the situation is there in South India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #15
I am fine with either, but could somebody give me an idea of maintenance costs of a vehicle like Sumo or Bolero? especially purchased second hand and done some miles?

Resale value of Sumo is quite high at least here in Tamil Nadu, so it's hard to find a vehicle within that budget which has not done more than 100,000 kms. Also I'm not the biggest fan of Sumo. It's not the most good looking vehicle out there.

I'm not all that well versed about Bolero. Not sure if it's discontinued or still in manufacture? I heard that Mahindra vehicles are not all that comfortable, but this is purely hearsay. I know very little about Mahindra. I don't even think I've got into a Xylo or Scorpio even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom