Looking for a Used Car Under Rs.2 Lakhs. Please Help.

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all fellow TAIs,

I just happened to come across the forums here and took no time to join.

I am put up in Noida and looking to buy a used car for local travelling in Delhi-NCR region. I have a decent knowledge on cars. I own a modified Thunderbird and now looking to buy my first (used) car to cope up with my new marketing job (just out of campus) in Delhi. I hope you guys would guide me on this.

Purpose:
1. Marketing job and hence good amount of travelling involved in the city.
2. Weekend trips outside Delhi.
3. To save myself from the horrific weather.

Looking for:
1. Any car (hatchback or sedan) less than 2 lakh rupees.
2. CNG option is must if the car is not diesel driven.
3. Newer than 2003 models.

Prime concerns:
1. The car should have good fuel economy in petrol/diesel & CNG.
2. Should have low maintenance costs.
3. I am 6 ft with heavy built and hence need a comfortable driver's car.

Find:
1. I have found a Baleno VXi model with CNG. Has done around 85,000 kms and priced at 1.55 L. Should I go for this?
2. If yes, what all should I check when I test-drive the car?

Kindly help me with some short-cut technical tests which I should do while I test-drive the car if I am not accompanied by a mechanic?

What all aspects should I consider in buying a used car?

Help me out guys.

-Shiv

Hi Shiv,

As your budget is under 2 lac, i think you should also consider Maruti Esteem with Low mileage. and then you can add CNG kit by yourself, as i think it is very difficult to find CNG fitted Car iin good condition. So its better to buy a petrol one and add kit by yourself. You can also look for hyundai Accents at this rate, and it is more spacious and comfortable than Esteem.

One more car which you can get in this budget is a very neat and clean Ford Ikon., but as i have not seen many ikons with CNG kit installed, so i can not say whether CNG is compatible in Ford Ikon or not.

So choose wisely...

Hello Shiv,
I woun't advice you to go for this Baleno. Factory fitted CNG makes sense. But after market CNG if not properly installed would cause you a lot of trouble throughout your ownership. Spare Parts availability would also be sometimes an issue.
If you are not specific that you want a sedan its better to go for a hatchback since you have mentioned that you would require this car for the purposes connected with your job within the city
Hatchbacks are easy to drive as well as park in congested parking lots.
Since you want a car with less maintenance cost stick with either Maruti or Hyundai.
Look for
Maruti Alto LXi(plenty are available in second hand market), Maruti Zen(if you could find a diesel one with less on ODO it would be good), Hyundai Santro Xing(good car to drive in city).
Regarding evaluation , seek the help of some friend who is familiar with cars.
Do post in this thread regarding the car and the details.
Fellow TAI'ians will help you

Hello Shiv,

AS per your requirement, why don't you try Second hand Honda City Type II, it is amazing machine will give long life trouble free, and low maintenance, think before to buy baleno, my mechanic told baleno gives more maintenance [clap]

i am recommending this car because i have won this machine in my past,

you surely will not get disappointed unless otherwise you choose a good maintained car.

it can also enable CNC fitting option.

So you are in Delhi..
Since you are in marketing work so diesel will be better for you,as CNG will rob your boot space if you buy a hatch.If you need a diesel car then go to any Mahindra first choice dealer and there you can find any good Indica/Indigo or maybe a Fiesta(about 2.5 lacs) for you.

yes +1 to Vipul. for you a sedan would do well in fact a diesel sedan. for your budget, you will get Indigos which have huge boot space and also diesel which returns a decent FE. have a look at it.

Thread Starter #7
Hello Friends,

Thank you for the quick reverts. I am pleased to have good range of suggestions from fellow TAIs. Feel bad for not joining you guys earlier. [frustration]

I did check out a few cars including Accent, Ikon, Lancer, Baleno, Santro, Wagon-R, City and even Getz. I have been a Santro owner twice in the past 6 years and hence wanted a change (kinda low lying one).

There was another Baleno which I came across. The engine is very good and it has a 2 month old Tomasitto CNG kit installed. I am pleased with the performance. [drive]

But still as you guys have suggested, I am still hunting for other models. I shall update you guys pretty soon. I hope to buy one in this week.

Thanks for your support guys. [:D]

-Shiv

Top Bottom