Logistic / Handling Charges By Dealers Are Illegal

Re: Logistic / Handling Charges Not to Be Paid in Delhi

i mailed vw regarding these charges 2 weeks ago, no reply yet. has anyone got direct emails of VW MD or Manager. Their contact us feature on the website seems useless.

Mauti says its allowed to charge these logistics charge by dealers:

Dear Mr. x,
Thank you for your email.
We appreciate your efforts in bringing this matter to our notice. Kindly understand these charges are inline of our company policy.

These charges are pertaining to fuel expenses, driver expenses & other related expenses .The dealers have been charging the same under an agreement for sale of vehicle with its customers including you, hence the said charges are in line of our company’s policy. If you wish to have more clarity on this, you may contact our dealer as they have an official communication document pertaining to this matter.

For any further clarity kindly get in touch with our regional office at:

Maruti Suzuki: Maruti800, Alto, Zen, WagonR, Versa, Esteem, Baleno,Grand Vitara, Gypsy, Finance, Insurance, Accessories, TrueValue, Fleet Management Solutions
Please feel free to revert in case of any query or clarification.
Regards,
ANY TIME MARUTI
(Call- 9910202020 or Toll Free- 1800 102 1800 and 1800 1800 180)
International Toll Free Numbers:
1866 527 5698 (From USA and Canada)
0800 0852247 (From UK)
Please Visit us at <http://www.marutisuzuki.com>
======================================
Received: 3/26/2012 7:15 PM
To: ATM Queue
Subject: Handling/logistics charges of Rs 4500 demanded by DD motors,wazirpur
Dear Sir/Mam
I had booked a New swift dezire LDI(white) yesterday at DD Motors ,Wazirpur(Delhi) . . But DD motors is charging Rs4500 as logistics charges which i think it not legal as per recent transport authority order. I am attaching the transport order and also the price list of DD motors.
Please let me know is it allowed to charge this Rs4500 from me or else direct DD motors not to charge this from us.,

Thread Starter #37

OMG, Maruti It's self Allowing to dealers to take this charges !! Now what should we do !!
I think we should once again refer to the notice issued by Transport Department of Delhi as appeared in the post no. 5 (on page 1). There, the department has clearly stated that all those charges are illegal which have not been authorised by manufacuturer. Now, after Maruti's reply to your mail, it is certainly clear that this type of charges are authorised by manufacturer and therefore we can not complain to Transport Department. But then, if you look at the news relating to the lodging of FIR against Volkswagen (on page 1), I think there is something which indicates that levy of these charges is illegal. If these charges are in violation of Motor Vehicle Act, (as stated in the news), then no agreement between manufacturer and dealer can override that. A legal expert can throw more light on this matter.

Last edited:

That is strange. Firmly let them know that you do not want to get the waxing done and purchase the registration plates from outside. That is what I did. Ford dealer was charging Rs.800 for low-grade number plate but I managed to buy one (relatively better) from outside for half of the cost. Though make sure to discuss this stuff when the deal is on verge of getting closed otherwise the sales man could include these charges other way round in your on-road cost (without stretching much for cash discounts). BTW, May I know the name of VW Dealership in Delhi in question?

Drive Safe,
350Z
All the Dealers are Charging Handling Charges.I have just confirmed this from Volkswagen West in Moti Nagar.They are insisting that they have challenged the HC Ruling in Supreme Court

Man
Dealer is asking Rs 6000 as handling charges of Maruti Dezire [anger]

Update

A court in Delhi has instructed for registration of FIR against MD, Volkswagen, dealer of the company and Transport Department official relating to payment of these charges.

carnama: Criminal case against MD, Volkswagen and others

Complainant has said that levy of these charges is in violation of -
1. Motor Vehicle Act and
2. Specific notification from Transport Department, Delhi

See if there are such notifications in other states also. I am not sure how MD, Volkswagen is coming into the picture.
In-spite of the past case, Bhasin motor is still charging handling & logistic charges. In fact all the Delhi dealers are charging this cost voilating the high court order. It can happen only in INDIA!!!![frustration]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Handling Charges by Dealers Illegal

Excellent move and an intelligent initiative in the interest of the buyers. This verdict should serve as an example to the car showrooms pan-India. Now prior to charging anything in ad-hoc from the buyers these showrooms will think 10 times.

Thumbs up to the gentleman who initiated this entire process. A victory well deserved!

Thank you @Speedfan for sharing such valuable information with us. Much appreciated.

Regards

Akash

First, though it is always shown while calculating OTR price, but usually never reflected in final bill in written. Without written in bill, it is difficult to prove dealer has collected the same. Actually we are so concerned with OTR figure, we usually never ever look carefully in bill.

Second, even at last, we found that handling charges is collected but not reflected in bill or we find that handling charges are illegal, who is going to fight with that dealer from whom we had to take regular services, warranty, accidental jobs etc. In most cities, ASS usually only one in the city & bothering him why take inconvenience to go to nearby city for regular services & accidental jobs. As such in India, we are so used to corruption, we ultimately compromise with our mind that we keep good relations with ASS, & he might benefit us the amount that is equivalent or more than handling charges.

However, thanks for sharing the information.

Because the Handling Charges received are not given in written, I never pay for it. In fact, I just pay 250-500 for temporary registration and nothing else apart from that. Apart from Handling charges, essential kit and some other things add to the On road price and majority of people pay full on road price when buying. I have seen majority of buyers in Bangalore doing this. I just pay Ex Showroom price and Insurance in case I take it from them. If you also calculate road tax, the price quoted in pricelist will be higher then what you do manually on calculator. That's why I never trust these numbers on the price list. Hence I do safe way of just paying Car's Price and not On Road Price of that car.

Are handling/logistic charges legal?

As per supreme court car dealers should not charge customers extra in the form of handling/logistics, but dealers stilll continue to charge them in Delhi. are these charges legal? and whom to approach for refund incase already charged?

Top Bottom