Let's Talk Trains: The Indian Railways

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just I am passionate about cars, I love big beast which scorch the iron roads "trains" they are lifeline of indian economy and help in joining distant places to the main stream.

Did not find any thread hence thought of having a thread dedicated to the indian Railways.

I just saw the news that the first 12000 HP locomotive was set thru for the trials manufactured inMadhepura plant in Bihar, this electric locomotive will be the most powerful locomotive in India. This is a unique locomotive where the engine is 8 axel one and will be semi-permanently joined.
there will be 2 units joined permanently to form one unit.

Some feature that it may have is
lavatory for the loco pilot,
Air conditioned cabin
Capability to cruise at 100-120 kmph with full load freigth

https://www.siasat.com/news/eastern-railway-testing-bihars-12000-hp-electric-locomotive-1323449/

Image: source:Delhi to Bombay Model Railroad - Indian Model Railroad BLOG
s1970002_orig.jpg

well it's superb decision by railways to choose the above type of locomotive solely for freight only , the gear ratios are so designed that hauling 120-150 wagons would be no talk decision for alstom locomotive 12000hp.
love our indian railways for immense transformation of the age old locomotives to more traction worth one.
DIESEL LOCOS-----
they choose general electric diesel loco which i'm so much disappointing by their decision, as we are moving away from diesel to electric, as the fuel bill alone cost our railways 20000 crore annually [angry] which is a massive hit and an additional wastage of diesel and lot loss to our atmosphere.
piyush goyal decision is in favour of completley phase out of diesel and at the other phase they setup additional diesel plant in bihar. we already have backup of significant number of diesel locos why need another[surprise].

Thread Starter #4
new proposed UDAY express

UDAY Express: Indian Railways' new train, the Utkrisht Double-Decker Air-conditioned Yatri Express, is all set to roll out by March-end 2018 and Financial Express Digital brings you exclusive images of the exterior and interior of its coaches! UDAY Express was announced two years ago in Railway Budget 2016 and has been envisioned as a 'luxury' train for business travellers. According to Indian Railways, UDAY Express will cater to the "busiest routes" and increase carrying capacity by 40%. Meant for reserved passengers, the UDAY Express will boast of multiple new features such as a food vending machine, WifI, LCD screens and an area for passengers to enjoy meals. From UDAY Express route to a sneak-peek into its interior, here is an exclusive preview of the new train

Source: PHOTOS: UDAY Express: Indian Railways' new train for business travellers! Sneak-peek into interior; 15 stunning images - The Financial Express

uday1.jpg

Uday2.jpg

Uday3.jpg

Uday4.jpg

Uday5.jpg

Uday7.jpg

Uday8.jpg

Uday9.jpg

Uday12.jpg

Uday11.jpg

Thread Starter #5
the new self propelled train codename Train18.

There was lot of hype around a new high speed train which Indian railways were working on which will give rise to newer generation of trains. Train18 was the answer. This is definitely
not the Bullet train but no less. the looks the amenities the features were all which were not provided ever by the Indian railways in the past.

it surely was hyped and I myself was skeptical how fast this will develop? whether
it will be just an on paper project but no, I was proved wrong. Train18 is surely being developed and pretty much how it was visualized.

This is the link with train18 concept
https://www.financialexpress.com/ph...-160kmph-speed-features-images-make-in-india/

Below are the images of the actual work in progress of the future of Indian railways
Train-18-2-1.jpg

Train-18-7-1.jpg

Train-18-4-1.jpg

Train-18-3-2.jpg

Train-18-6-1.jpg

Train-18-660.jpg

Source: https://www.financialexpress.com/in...irst-engine-less-train-is-being-made/1329152/

Definitely Ache din for Indian railways. Hope that we Indians do not vandalise this beautiful train.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Train18 is finally completed. Here are some exclusive snaps of the train.
The Train
------------
train-18-pic-1.jpg
train-18-pic-2.jpg
train-18-pic-22.jpg
train-18-pic-19.jpg

View from drivers cabin. there will be two driver cabin at both the ends of the train just like the local trains of Mumbai or any metro train. Making a deviation from legacy engine pulled train. The Self propelled unit will will replace the shataabdi trains. First shatabdi to run train18 will be between Delhi-habibganj-bhopal.
train-18-pic-4.jpg

The Available Class - Executive class with revolving seats so that everyone will be facing in the direction of the train.
train-18-pic-5.jpg
train-18-pic-6.jpg

Normal AC chair car class get 3x2 configuration but seats are much better and ergonomic
train-18-pic-26.jpg
train-18-pic-10.jpg

The toilet
train-18-pic-16.jpg
train-18-pic-12.jpg

The gangway is spacious and vestibule joining two bogies is also pretty broad.
train-18-pic-21.jpg
train-18-pic-20.jpg

Source:
https://www.financialexpress.com/ph...-icf-images-interiors-route-latest-update/20/

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Chittaranjan locomotive factory has developed a better locomotive capable of going at 200kmph speeds. Max speed on the dial is around 240kmph but not sure it will go at that speed.
57227-railways-wap-5-engine.jpg
Few additions that IR have done are as follows
1. Slightly ergonomic cabin for drivers,
2. 8 camera setup to see and hear whats happening in the driver cabin, on the tracks and over the top of locomotive
3. Shape has been changed to give a 45 deg slant to the front for giving an aerodynamic shape. However, baring that fact nothing else is done to reduce the drag or air resistance. it seems to be stop gap arrangement of designing a locomotive.
4. Engine has 5400Hp rating
5. signaling is not electronics using of led lights instead of the flags or torches being used. Again that is not aiding the aerodynamism.

Few things missing
1. toilet for the drivers
2. AC cabin for drivers for making their drive comfortable
3. If the talk of aerodynamic has begun that is good but no where unto mark, so many thing are desirable I would have wanted the engine to look like the one below
die-erste-werbelok-re-460-115136.jpg

Image credits to the respective owners.

Last edited:
As a child i would get super excited going on a Train Journey, and the excitement still remains.
The Indian Railways Trains have changed a lot in recent times with lots of upgradation in all departments.
But i feel sad reading about how we as a passenger are just ruining and stealing the new compartments and causing huge losses to Railways.
I hope people realise it soon and change.

Thread Starter #11
As a child i would get super excited going on a Train Journey, and the excitement still remains.
The Indian Railways Trains have changed a lot in recent times with lots of upgradation in all departments.
But i feel sad reading about how we as a passenger are just ruining and stealing the new compartments and causing huge losses to Railways.
I hope people realise it soon and change.
I doubt that, we Indians feel that Govt property is our property and we can use it the way we want to. We basically lack social empathy, be it driving on roads, traveling in trains or for that matter taking Darshan in some holy place, if we are done, we are good, don't bother about the rest following us.

I doubt it will change. unless that is imbibed in schools and importance is given to such education and not just text book teaching but practical teaching as well. But then it going to be very big task. children will learn to say keep city clean, score 100% marks but that is not being practiced whats the use.

Probably if the preachers preach, probably we can be a clean society.

Thread Starter #12
Tejas Express becomes fastest on Mumbai-Goa route! Luxury Indian Railways train takes less time than Shatabdi
Indian Railways recently conducted trials of the Tejas Express at speeds of 120 kmph, as against the speed of 110 kmph that the train was run at. After multiple trial runs at 120 km/hour last week, it now runs at a higher speed since November 14.

Weekend getaways from Mumbai just got easier! The Mumbai-Goa Tejas Express, the premium luxury chair car that was introduced by Indian Railways in 2017, will now take 30 minutes less to complete its journey! According to a report in the Mid-Day, Indian Railways recently conducted trials of the Tejas Express at speeds of 120 kmph, as against the speed of 110 kmph that the train was run at. After multiple trial runs of the Tejas Express at 120 km/hour last week, it now runs at its increased speed since November 14, the report said. The higher speed has not just helped in cutting down on travel time by 15-30 minutes, but has also made Tejas Express the fastest train on the Mumbai-Goa route.
Sources from the Railway department were quoted inthe report saying that if the Tejas Express experiment is successful, then Indian Railways would recreate the same for the other trains. A railway spokesperson was quoted saying that the Tejas Express can now run at a speed of 120km/hour in most of the sectors, except for a few. If the train schedule is given priority in the time-table, then it will save a significant amount of travel time. Tejas Express runs between the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in Mumbai and Karmali Railway station in Goa. It takes the same amount of time as Shatabdi Express. But, with the increased speed, Tejas Express is likely to take just 8 hours, as against the 8 and a half hours of Shatabdi Express.
Indian Railways had introduced Tejas Express to luxurious, aircraft-like experience to passengers. The train boasts of a number of passenger-friendly features – on-board WiFi, mobile charging and USB points at every seat, personalised LCD entertainment-cum-information screens with headphones, comfortable seats, modular bio-toilets, integrated braille displays, CCTV cameras, toilet occupancy indicators, toilet occupancy indicators, electronic passenger reservation chart. With these attractive perks and shorter travel time, Tejas Express has surely decreased the distance between Mumbai and Goa and made the lives of Mumbaikars much more interesting!

Source:https://www.financialexpress.com/in...-train-takes-less-time-than-shatabdi/1386245/

Thread Starter #14
As per reports, the train 18 will replace the shatabdi run between Delhi and Varanasi Also during the run, the train broke the 180kmph record for fastest Indian train. Would love to see all the shatabdis being replace by this beautiful train. Hope Indian public do not vandalise this beauty.

Top Bottom