Let's Talk About Bicycling!

Thread Starter #1
Cycling at Bannerghatta National Park - YouTube

I guess I am the first one to start this thread on Bicycles[evil] If there is one already, then, please join the thread.
Like any other kid in the locality, I used to love cycling around the block whenever there was an opportunityl. But as day went by, I got busier and busier when I grew older. And finally, the charm and the enthusiasm went south and never to see again.
And after I started working, I realized that I have put on so much weight that i needed to do something and be more active. Started going to gym, but after 3 months, I got bored. I started looking for alternatives but could not find any activities which would suit my lifestyle. I love outdoors. One fine day, I saw a cyclist with a really nice bike on my way to office. A light bulb over my head just lit up!!!
I screamed "Eureka"!!! This is what I want.
It's been over a year now since I have been cycling in and around Bangalore. And I can proudly say that I have reduced about 10 kilos! But it is not just the weight reduction I have achieved by adopting cyling as my hobby again. I got to experience some amazing journeys with my fellow cyclists exploring unknown countrysides. Trust me Karnataka is a beautiful place. And I got to see many such places through cycling trips. Now I also have a strong stamina and have a very active lifestyle. And most importantly, I am now more aware of the environment as well.
Now I have beening planning for a "solo" bicycle ride from "Manali to Leh" somewhere in August/September. I need to be physically and mentally prepared. This trip will take about 10/11 days with an average of 60 Kms per day.

So to all the nature lovers and cyclists, here are some tips for the safety of bicycling.

Get The Right Bicycle
Choose a bicycle that suits your height and requirements. Besides regularly checking its tyres, gears, nuts and bolts and lubricating its chains and cables; make a point to get it professionally serviced at least once a year. Adjust the seat in proportion to your leg length and set the handlebars about 5 centimeters lower than your seat height.

Obey The Traffic Rules
The first and foremost lesson of driving is obey the traffic rules. Same applies for riding bicycle too. You must obey the traffic rules properly, to avoid any kind of accident.

Always Wear Helmet
Even if wearing of helmet is not compulsory, you should wear it as it will reduces the risk of head injury by 60% in case of any accident. Make sure that you replace it, if it hits the road or an object.

Be Alert To The Sounds
It is very important to be alert to the sounds of vehicles around you, so avoid wearing your headphones while riding a bike.

Keep An Eye
Keep an eye on the rear view mirror to watch the movement of the traffic behind you. In most of the bicycles these mirrors are not available when we buy them, so you must buy it on your own for the sake of your safety.

Give Signals
It is must that every time before changing your move or side, you should give adequate hand signals to motorists, or pedestrians, to indicate the direction, you are going.

Keep Distance
Always keep adequate distance while crossing stationary vehicles to prevent injury if a door suddenly opens.

Use Headlights
Use headlights if you have them while traveling at night. This part is also not usually found in normal bicycles but you can get it from any cycle workshop.

Health Suggestions
Cycling is an energetic workout; longer workouts can dehydrate the body. So, it is advisable to carry a bottle of water along. Besides, if you're cycling on a hot day, take enough rest breaks and drink lots of fluids. Exposure to sun for long hours can cause skin cancer; to deal with this, you must liberally put sunscreen on the exposed parts of the body. Before starting, always warm up with some stretches so as to prevent injuring your muscles. Keep changing your sitting position and the gear from higher to lower to prevent muscle soreness, stiffness and stress on your knee joints.

Happy Cycling:)

Thank you for a nice thread.

Apart from Headlight, you should use a tail light/flasher behind at night. Must have for every cyclist.

About my cycling experience.

I was not lucky enough to get cycle during my childhood days. School was just 50 meters from my house. So, I could not even raise the voice for a 'cycle'. I learned cycling during my 4th or 5th standard. We used to get it for rent 50 paisa for 30 minutes. 1/2 cycle (not the full sized one).
When i saw my brother got cycle for going to his school (he was staying at grandma's place), i was so angry at everyone. Then i told everyone. I will buy a better cycle than this one day. I will go 100 kilometer a day (it was just out of anger i said).

Finally in 2010, I got a hybrid bike Schwinn Sporterra for around 15,000. I wanted to buy a TREK or MERIDA mountain bikes. But, didnt have the budget at that time. I rode home (around 15km) on the very first day with ease. I was riding a cycle almost after 15 years.

Hybrid bikes are better on roads if you have a up-hill kind of area. Initially i thought all the Bangalore roads are flat roads. The moment i started riding, i understood the steepness of Bangalore roads. And, yes. I made more than 100Km on a single day. 190+ kilometer on a Nandi Hill trip. It was awesome experience.

Positives : Good workout, less pollution to mother nature, feel good, explore new places & you got a good amount of friends who ride bicycle.

Negatives : - Dust a main villain. You inhale more polluted air than anyone on the road. When you are cycling, breathing is more heavier hence more polluted air go inside.
You cant ride on busy road. People feel that you are not supposed to ride on the road. It is kind of their road. So, you need to ride on side and watch out for punctures etc. Sometime, we get a gracious look by people.

One day, I fell down from my ride as a KSRTC was going very fast and he wanted me to get out of the road (he purposefully came to side for no reason). I had only two choice. Either get kicked by him or go out of the road which are very deep from road. I chose the second option and i fell down. Nothing major happened. Didnt get the time to service the bike afterwards. So, riding only in and around my home these days (that is also very less).

I would really love to start it all over.

hey pals you just stoked an ember deep inside. please put in some details regarding the types of bikes available, their brands, the cost. remember what we all did when we got our first bicycle, how we went exploring places some distance away from home. showing off in front of girls. the falls we had, riding in the rain, dogs running behind us at night on the deserted roads and pedalling hard in terror to escape their snapping jaws. going to school with my kid sister in front and younger brother on the carrier, how all others had shining new sports bikes while we had an old second hand bike which my father bought when he got employed and which was given our uncle when my dad married my mum. it was a big raleigh cycle and had to be chopped to reduce its height as dad was short..........wow nostalgia[:D]

Last edited:
Nice thread, a big hearty welcome to our Forum,

Couple of my friends run a cycling club, had been to couple of their weekend rides and i have to agree with what appus had mentioned, Dust and pollution is the main turn off for people to getting into cycling.

Two things to add to the list based on first hand experience:
Hand gloves: Haven't found one that provides comfort (may be a little) but defintely provide protection in case of accidents
Cycling shorts: For people going on long rides, padded shorts makes the saddle comfortable both for bum and crouch.

Riding bicycle is an awesome experience however you should take care while riding because it is light weight keep distance from other heavy ones to prevent injury.

350Z

Core Team
Just sharing a piece of interesting news to rev up the enthusiasm of fellow bicyclers on the forum. [thumbswink]
Boasting no less than ten new models, ŠKODA’s 2013 bicycle collection is more diverse and attractive than ever before. ŠKODA’s current bike line-up features children’s and youngsters’ bikes as well as high-tech racers, trekking and mountain bikes. Available for the first time are 29-inch mountain bikes, a category that is currently especially popular.

ŠKODA Original Accessories presents a broad collection comprising a total of ten models aimed at a variety of uses and age groups, even including a trainer bike for toddlers. ŠKODA designers had a hand in styling the bikes. The colours white, green and black stand out, with each bike bearing the ŠKODA lettering. As in past years, the bikes’ technology is provided by “Superior” brand.

On-road cyclists can choose from two race bikes: the top-of-the-line “ŠKODA Road Elite” weighs in at a mere 7.9 kg and comes with a carbon frame and Shimano Ultegra components. The “ŠKODA Road” also impresses with its aluminium frame, light weight (8.6 kg) and advanced technology such as Shimano’s 105 group.

Mountain bike enthusiasts can look forward to no less than four new ŠKODA models, three of them in the wildly popular 29-inch category. The “ŠKODA MTB 29 Elite” leads the pack and featuring a carbon frame, Shimano Deore XT and SLX components and a weight of just 11.7 kg. The “ŠKODA MTB 29+” impresses with an aluminium frame, a trim level comparable to that of the “MTB 29 Elite” and a weight of just 13.2 kg. Hobby bikers will like the “ŠKODA MTB 29” with an aluminium frame, hydraulic disk brakes, front fork suspension and Shimano Deore components inlcuding a 21-gear shift. Also on offer is the “ŠKODA MTB 26” with an aluminium frame, hydraulic disk brakes and Shimano Alivio and Deore components.

Its new trim marks out the “ŠKODA Cross” trekking bike. ŠKODA also fills the needs of children with the 20-inch “ŠKODA Junior” cycle. The “ŠKODA Kid” is aimed at smaller children, while the “ŠKODA Mini” training bike is for the very small.

ŠKODA’s current bicycle offering again underscores the company’s special relationship with two-wheelers. The brand’s success at its home location in Mladá Boleslav began with bicycle-making. As early as the late 19th century, in December 1895, Václav Laurin, a cycle mechanic, and Václav Klement, a bookseller, founded a bicycle factory there under the name Laurin & Klement (L&K). These two enthusiastic pioneers of mobility first made bicycles under the Slavia brand name, then motorcycles from 1899 and finally, in 1905, the ”Voiturette A,” the brand’s first automobile. In 1925, L&K merged with ŠKODA.

Today, ŠKODA brand’s close attachment to cycling shows in a substantial sponsoring commitment. Besides international races such as the “Tour de France” and the “Giro d’Italia,” ŠKODA has long supported cycling activities in the Czech Republic including the popular “Kolo pro život” (“Bike for life”), the world’s largest mountain bike racing series. In the past thirteen years, a total of about 160,000 professional and amateur racers took part in this event, 20,000 in 2012 alone. In addition, ŠKODA organises the “Virtual Cup” aimed at all comers, which has cycling enthusiasts competing on one of 16 race courses.
Skoda-Bicycles.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Any idea about it's pricing?
Following is the price list in CZK (Converted into INR):

> Skoda MTB 26: 19,991 CZK (Rs.55,941)

> Skoda MTB 29: 22,991 CZK (Rs.64,337)

> Skoda MTB 29+: 34,991 CZK (Rs.97,917)

> Skoda Road Elite: 59,991 CZK (Rs.1,67,334)

> Skoda MTB 29 Elite: 59,991 CZK (Rs.1,67,334)

Drive Safe,
350Z

i was a die-hard bicycling fan. this thread reminds me of my past. but heck my ride is just rotting now. it will take an effort and money to really put it in great shape again...

Nice thread. I have already started cycling for staying fit. I had bought my cycle in 2010 for 3000 INR. A pretty basic cycle and still enjoying the same.

I have owned four cycles in my life, 2 in India and 2 in UK. All four got stolen.
The 2 in India I was able to get back, but in UK no chance.
First cycle I had was BMX 850 and then it went on. I really enjoyed those cycle days, especially the ride with friends on weekend morning to Marine drive and chowpatty.

P.S. My dad is 61 and is still using Cycle at his work place to commute within city. And I admire him a lot for the very same reason. [clap]

Last edited:

Top Bottom