Let's Talk About Bicycling!

P.S. My dad is 612 and is still using Cycle at his work place to commute within city. And I admire him a lot for the very same reason. [clap]
Thats great! My grandpaa used cycle till age of 80. He passed away 15 days ago at age of 90. No hospitalization in his entire life. He used to say thats because of proper exercise, use of cycling which kept him fit and proper and timely eating.

Wonder we will ever see such age and fitness.

Thread Starter #17
Last Sunday, I cycled from RT Nagar till the BIAL toll booth and back. It was a solo ride. Since it was on a Sunday afternoon, there were not many traffic on the airport road. But still I had to be so cautious because the airport cabs, Volvo buses, bikers drive like a maniac. Plus, the entire stretch is under-construction. So, to my fellow cyclists, please be very careful when you cycle on this road.
I started at 4 PM from my house in RT Nagar. And I had a quick pit stop near the yelahanka Airforce Base and continued cycling till I reached the TollBooth. Took about 1:30 hours to cover 22Kms(approx). Without resting, I cycled back to RT Nagar. Overall, I covered about 50 Kms and I was able to do it in about 3 hours.
I am using RUNTASTIC app on my Android phone to monitor all my activities. It calculates the distance, duration, Max/Min speed, Calories, etc. Apparently, I forgot to "un-pause" my app for a good 20 KMs, so I was not able to monitor my total Kms and Calories accurately.

Attachments

Thread Starter #18
Any Cyclists on TAI???

Do we have any fellow cyclists here in this forum? Any pros/beginners/or individuals who have been thinking of buying a bicycle and start cycling??
If you are anyone of these guys, then, I salute you! You should be proud of yourself. You not only have a healthy and happy life, you contribute for the better environment too.
On Oct 12 last month, Bangalore celebrated "cyclists day" to promote cycling as a means of traversing the Bangalore. First 'Feel Bengaluru Cycle Day' sees participation from 1200 cyclists: News Desk - Citizen Matters, Bangalore News
I was fortunate to be a part of this amazing crowd. We all gathered around 6:30 AM at Cubbon Park. The event was a major success with the support from BMTC and Bangalore Traffic Police. The event was short, and we cycled for only about 5 KMs within the city, but the idea was to promote cycling in the city and have a cleaner environment.
I was surprised to see so many cyclists in Bangalore! Felt so happy to see so many fellow cyclists at the same time. Wish everyone leave their cars and bikes and take bicycle to work instead. We should have a "No CAR day" sometime[:)]
Cycling has many benefits. Infact, it has tones of benefits. Follow my link below. I am sure you'll smile while reading it and will think of buying a bicycle after you finish reading.
30 reasons to take up cycling - BikeRadar
If you want to have a happy and healthy life, start riding!!!

Attachments

Hi All,
I couldn't learn cycling as my Dad didn't allow.Dad's younger brother died in a bike accident on his sons first birthday.Now I want to learn how to ride a bicycle.Any guides or help would be great.Can I learn it myself,because at this age asking others to help is embarrassing.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Thread Starter #20
Hi All,
I couldn't learn cycling as my Dad didn't allow.Dad's younger brother died in a bike accident on his sons first birthday.Now I want to learn how to ride a bicycle.Any guides or help would be great.Can I learn it myself,because at this age asking others to help is embarrassing.
Regards,
Aneesh.
My condolences on the sad demise of your uncle. And good to hear that you want to learn cycling:) You are never too late to learn anything. And dnt be embarrassed to take your cycle out to the street and learn. Infact, go out with kids:) Make friends with them. They will be more excited to cycle with you. And trust me, they are the ones who can teach you really well. You do not need to buy a fancy cycle. You can learn on any bike. Just make sure your seatpost is lowered so that most of your feet touch the ground while seated. That way, you will be able to balance easily. Do not brake suddenly. Be soft and gentle. And remember, always wear a helmet. And balancing is easier if you ride faster. Try riding on a plain open area like a school ground. Do not try riding uphill or downhill yet.
Don't quit if a minor scrape or other mild injury occurs. Wear extra padding if required but remember that the more you ride, the less likely this will happen again.

Last edited:
Exactly the thread I was planning to start. Good you saved me the trouble and started it.
I am a complete newbie to cycling. Well I did ride an old Raleigh Sports while in school but I guess that does not really count. Anyway I plan to get back to cycling, this time on a proper cycle. I am returning to cycling after more than 20 years and a lot has changed in the world of cycling.
So just copying and pasting my post from a popular cycling forum:

Requirements:
Size: As per the measurements below.
Budget: Decent, Stretcheable & Flexible but not unlimited. Like to start with a minimum entry level budget but willing to stretch if you give me a valid reason to do so.
Can Spend: 1.2 L
Want to spend: 30K
Need to spend: That's what you need to tell me.
Usage: Will try daily but realistically will be 4-5 times a week.
Purpose: Fitness, leisure. Not likely to compete in events, so don't suggest upgrading components by spending 30K because it will go 0.000023 Kmph faster.
Looks: The bike should look good. If it's the best bike with all sorts of statics to proove it's capabilities but looks horrible, I'm not going to feel like riding it.
Comfort: The more comfortable it is, the more I'm going to ride.
Brands: Not particular but have a slight inclination towards Italian bikes.
Groupset: Again the Italian factor means I'm willing to spend a bit more for a Campagnolo (if the bike itself is Italian).
Weight: Lighter the better but again keeping budget in mind, need to find a compromise.
Frame Material: Obviously Aluminium but tempeted to spend a "little" more and go carbon.
Accessories: Already got the helmet, gloves, shorts, t-shirts and pump. So I need lights and a computer (with cadence and preferably wireless).

My Measurements:
Just used the fit calculator on Wrench Science.

Your Measurements
Height :178.00 cm
Sternum Notch :152.00 cm
Inseam Length :82.00 cm
Arm Length :58.00 cm
Shoulder Width :42.00 cm
Flexiblity :5
Weight :85.00 kilo
Foot Size :44.00 EURO

WS Recommended Road Sizes
Frame Size center-to-center :53 cm
Frame Size center-to-top :55 cm
Overall Reach :68.00 cm
Saddle Height :72.41 cm
Handlebar Width :42 cm

Now how do I decide on things like stem height, crank length etc.
Also how do I know what sizing system (Centre to Centre or Centre to Top) the frame seller is using.

Bikes Shortlisted:
- Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (With Campagnolo Veloce if possible).
- Cannondale CAAD 8
- Giant Defy
- Giant SCR2
- BTwin Triban 3
- Fuji 1.3 C
- Fuji 1.5 C

I started of with the idea of picking up a cheap bike, did a lot of research on the net, got a lot of ideas, decided to hike the budget etc etc and got totally confused. Then came up with the idea of the carbon build (more of that in a separate post). Then suddenly the mind took over the heart and said stop. I am getting back to cycling after a long time. Not sure if I'll be doing it regularly. If I get hooked on to it, I can always upgrade. So came back to the original idea of a cheap bike. The Triban 3 seemed to fit the bill. I made up my mind to get a Triban 3. But then I did a search only to find out it's out of stock in all the online stores. Only 1 store had a size 51 which is not my size. Then I read that the Red Triban 3 has been replaced with a new White Triban 3 in Europe. The 2300 group set is now replaced by a Microshift which got me excited. But then it has lost the carbon fork. And in any case the new bike is still not available in India. So the Triban dreams went down the drain. Now what? I liked the Giant SCR2 but most people advised against it (still trying to figure out why). KHS Flyte 300, Fuji 1.3 & 1.5, I just didn't like the sloping frame. Finally decided that I'll just go ahead a buy a Bianchi. Decided to pick up the Via Nirone 7 2300. Why 2300? Because it's the cheapest. Now I know you'll tell me "At least upgrade to a Tiagra". Sorry Mind over Heart again. I'm not going to spend more. But if I get hooked on I won't have to change the bike. My plan is to upgrade just the groupset after some serious riding. My plan is to swap the 2300 for a Campagnolo Veloce. Why Campagnolo? Because Bianchi and Campagnolo are like Idly and Sambar. A Shimano on a Bianchi is like eating an Idly with Shezuan sauce.

So to cut a long story short, this is what I will be riding shortly...

Attachments

Nice thread. Reminds me of my childhood days when I use to have a bicycle. I was the first in my neighborhood to get a bicycle. Then later-on everybody started to show off theirs. LOL. Childhood memories - I just love it. [:D]

Thread Starter #23
@P3T3R: thumps up to your choice of bike[thumbsup] Bianchi Nirone7 is one gorgeous bike. You seem to have done a lot of research on bikes. However, understanding your experience in cycling and your requirement, may i ask why have you considered only road bikes? Sure road bikes looks better than other bikes but you mentioned that the more comfortable it is, the more you are going to use it. Road Bikes are not comfort bikes. They are meant for speed. Specially newcomers, they will not feel very comfortable with the drop bars. And if you do not have experience riding long distances, you will have lower back problems (lumbar spine). And also roadbikes are not meant for city rides. It would be difficult to commute on-- stopping and starting might be more difficult, keeping your head up and watching the traffic around you. And Indian roads are all dirt roads or gravel roads. You will hardly find any tarmac these days. Cross bikes/Hybrids would be my advice to you. But this is just my opinion. If you have not bought the Bianchi, I suggest you look for some good hybrids in the market as well because it will serve your purpose. Hybrids do look good as well:)

@P3T3R: thumps up to your choice of bike[thumbsup] Bianchi Nirone7 is one gorgeous bike.
Thanks. It is indeed a good bike.

You seem to have done a lot of research on bikes.
Yes. Mostly on the net and a few friends who are cyclists.

However, understanding your experience in cycling and your requirement, may i ask why have you considered only road bikes? Sure road bikes looks better than other bikes but you mentioned that the more comfortable it is, the more you are going to use it.
I actually started off thinking of a MTB. But most people suggested hybrid. I however did not like the hybrids and wanted a MTB. But then most people who picked up Hybrids & MTB's eventually moved on to road bikes.

Road Bikes are not comfort bikes. They are meant for speed. Specially newcomers, they will not feel very comfortable with the drop bars.
I am aware of that and will get used to it. I won't be riding the drops all the time. I'll probably be riding the hoods more often.

And if you do not have experience riding long distances, you will have lower back problems (lumbar spine).
I will be doing short distances to start and then move on to longer distances gradually.

And also roadbikes are not meant for city rides. It would be difficult to commute on-- stopping and starting might be more difficult, keeping your head up and watching the traffic around you.
I won't be doing any city riding. Besides I live in Goa. No city's there. Well Panjim is "officially" a city but in reality more of a small town.

And Indian roads are all dirt roads or gravel roads. You will hardly find any tarmac these days.
Though the roads have become bad in the last 2 years, there are still some ok roads to ride. Hopefully we'll have a change of govt. soon in Goa and with that better roads.

Cross bikes/Hybrids would be my advice to you. But this is just my opinion. If you have not bought the Bianchi, I suggest you look for some good hybrids in the market as well because it will serve your purpose. Hybrids do look good as well:)
Thanks but I've already finalised the bike. We have a decent amount of riders in Goa and most are moving on to road bikes. So I guess it won't be so bad.

Just in case anyone is thinking of building a Carbon Frame bike, here's what I had planned:

Zhongwei R-002 Light, Smooth & Fast Carbon Road Frame
=====================================================
Product ID: V3-R-00

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... ry/357.jpg

"Bella Bestia" A Beautiful Beast
Don't let the beautiful curves and aesthetics fool you, under this beauty is the heart of a true beast. A look at the massive chain stays reveal how this frame transfers full power on demand. The taped head tube and aero fork makes this bike handle like it is on rails. The pencil thin set stays have been flattened for 2014 to make what was already a smooth ride into an all-day performer that will leave you feeling fresher for the final sprint.

Check out the reviews on VeloBuild:
Race Readiness Review: VeloBuild.com - Chinese Carbon Fiber Bicycle Frames for Road, Mountain, Cycle Cross and Time Trial for DIY Do it Yourself Bike Builders and Group Buy - Reviews ... ace-review
First Ride review: VeloBuild.com - Chinese Carbon Fiber Bicycle Frames for Road, Mountain, Cycle Cross and Time Trial for DIY Do it Yourself Bike Builders and Group Buy - Reviews ... 002-review
Includes Frame and Fork

Material : Toray 700 Carbon Fiber
Finish : 3k/UD/12K glossy or matte
Bottom Bracket : BSA or BB30
Available size :49 52 54 56 58
Headset top : 1-1/8, down 1-1/4
Frame weights : per size 58 1135g, 56 1102g, 54 1070g, 52 1040g, 52 1000g
Fork weight : 420g
UV resistant clear coat
2 years warranty
MSRP: $499.00
Offer: $369.00
You Save: $130.00

Zhongwei Compact Drop Carbon Handlebars 178g
============================================
Product ID: V3-Z-HB-003

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... hb-003.jpg

Weave:3K/12K/UD
Stem Clamp: Ø31.8mm
Widths: 400mm 420mm 440mm
MSRP: $69.00
Offer: N/A
You Save: N/A

ZhongWei SP006 Carbon Seatpost
==============================
Product ID: V3-Z-SP006

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... -sp006.jpg

Weave: 3K/12K/UD
Stem lengths: L350mm to L450mm
Stem clamp: Ø31.6mm 27.2mm 30.8mm
Weight:
MSRP: $42.00

ZhongWei SC-002 Carbon Stem
===========================
Product ID: V3-Z-SC-002

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... sc-002.jpg

Bar Bore: Ø 31.8mm
Weave:3K/12K/UD
Stem lengths:80/90/100mm
Angle:6 degree
Bar Bore: Ø 31.8mm
Weight: 110 g
MSRP: $55.00

Z-BR-006 Carbon Water Bottle Cage
=================================
Product ID: V3-Z-BR006

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... -br006.jpg

Weave: 3K, 12K, UD
Finish: matte or glossy
Weight:
MSRP: $18.50

38mm Carbon Alloy Clincher Wheelset, 700C Clincher Road Bike Wheelset
=====================================================================
Product ID: V6-FF-CAW38-C

http://velobuildmall.com/components/com ... aw38-c.jpg

Features

With coated basalt braking surface, can stand high temperature caused by hard braking;
Inlay carbocyclic strip around the nipple holes, can strengthen the spoke tension;
Heatresisting resin on the brake surface, it can stand the high temperature 220 degree.
Tested by the standard of EN and UCI, can supply test report if required.
Npple: external/internal nipple
Application: Road Bike
Painting & Logo allowed/Customized

Material: Full Carbon
Width: 20.5mm
Depth: 38mm
Appearance: UD/3K/12K
Finish: Glossy/Matte
Spoke: Pillar PSR Aero 1423
Hub: Powerway R13 Hub or Novatec 291/482 Hub
Nipple: External/Internal Nipple
Supply With: Quick Release And Brake Pads
Weight: 1530+/-10g
Is_customized: Yes
Warranty: 1 year
MSRP: $459.00

Nashbar Jail Brake Road Bike Brake Calipers
===========================================
Item # NS-RBCL

[attachment:1]NS-RBCL-NCL-FRONT.jpg[/attachment]

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar ... -FRONT.jpg

The Nashbar Jail Brake Road Bike Brake Calipers use a dual pivot caliper that provides
plenty of stopping power and is a great upgrade for anyone who is still using the old
single pivot caliper design.
•Features include a centering adjustment screw, a quick release lever for easy wheel
removal and replaceable cartridge brake pads
•Stiff, lightweight aluminum arms with steel springs and bolts for excellent performance
•Includes front and rear brakes

WEIGHT: 173g/ea
MOUNT: Single-bolt mount
LEVER COMPATIBILITY: Road levers
PAD TYPE: Cartridge
REACH: Short (39-49mm)
Rating:4
MSRP: INR 3984
Nashbar: INR 2324 / $34.99
SAVE 42% = INR 1660

Contd...

Nashbar Microshift 10-Speed Dual Control Levers
===============================================
Item # NA-MSDCLA

[attachment:2]NA-MSDCLA-NCL-ANGLE.jpg[/attachment]

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar ... -ANGLE.jpg

Nashbar has teamed up with MicroShift to improve our first road group that will only be available here at Nashbar.
•Our 10-speed Dual Control levers have two independent aluminum shift levers for increased durability to prevent accidental braking while shifting, and a 16 gram weight savings from the previous model
•Compatible with double crank Shimano 10-speed systems
•Made from cold-forged aluminum, the Nashbar 10-speed Dual Control levers weigh in at a mere 389 grams per pair

WEIGHT: 389g/pr
COMPATIBILITY: Shimano 10-speed road derailleurs
Rating: 4
MSRP: INR 14610
Nashbar: INR 9961 / $149.99
SAVE 32% = INR 4649

SRAM PG-1070 10-Speed Cassette
==============================
Item # YC-PG1070

[attachment:3]YC-PG1070-NCL-TOP.jpg[/attachment]

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar ... CL-TOP.jpg

The SRAM PG 1070 road bike cassette allows you to take full advantage of the power and promise of the SRAM Force groupset, you need a cassette and chain that are up to the task. With the new PG 1070 Cassette's semi-spidered design, SRAM has maintained the high level of shifting performance while creating a much quieter cassette/chain combination. PowerGlide technology uses varying tooth profiles to give you smooth, precise and quiet shifting action
•Semi-spidered construction is lightweight, strong and efficient
•Heat treated steel cogs increase life
•Resilient forged 7000 aluminum lockring
•OE Packed - Comes in polybag with lockring and instructions

WEIGHT: 210g
MATERIAL: Heat treated steel sprockets/Aluminum lockring
COMPATIBILITY: 10-speed
SIZE 1: 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25
SIZE 2:
SIZE 3:
SIZE 4:
SIZE 5:
SIZE 6:
MSRP: INR 7106
Nashbar: INR 1925 / $28.99
SAVE 73% = INR 5180

SRAM PC-1031 10-Speed Chain
Item # YC-PG1031

[attachment:4]YC-PG1031-NCL-TOP.jpg[/attachment]

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... CL-TOP.jpg

Simply stronger. This bike chain was designed to be used with the new SRAM Apex lineup and other industry standard 10-speed systems to deliver miles and miles of maintenance-free riding. When it just has to work, count on SRAM chains to get you there.
PowerLock closing link -- that means tool-free removal
Chrome-hardened pins increase longevity
10-speed chain
Comes in poly bag with included powerlock
Wt.: 277g (114 links)

WEIGHT: 277g
NUMBER OF LINKS: 114
MATERIAL: Chrome-hardened pins
MSRP: INR 1992
Nashbar: INR 1062 / $15.99
SAVE 47% = INR 930

Nashbar Microshift Rear Road Derailleur
=======================================
Item # NA-RD10S

[attachment:5]NA-RD10S-NCL-SIDE.jpg[/attachment]

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... L-SIDE.jpg

The Nashbar Microshift Rear Road Bike Derailleur is reliable and precise. Nashbar has teamed up with MicroShift to create our first road group this will only be available here at Nashbar.
2:1 pull ratio is compatible with Shimano 10-speed components
Made from forged aluminum for lightweight precision

WEIGHT: 194g
MATERIAL: Forged aluminum
COMPATIBILITY: 10-speed, 2:1 pull ratio
MAX. COG: 27T
MIN. COG:
CAPACITY: 29T
MAX. FRONT DIFFERENCE:
SPRING TYPE:
Rating: 4.5
MSRP: INR 4648
Nashbar: INR 2656 / $39.99
SAVE 43% = INR 1992

Nashbar Front Road Bike Derailleur Clamp On
===========================================
Item # NA-FDC

[attachment:6]NA-FDC-NCL-SIDE.jpg[/attachment]

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... L-SIDE.jpg

The Nashbar Front Road Bike Derailleur is a reliable derailleur at an affordable price.
Nashbar has teamed up with MicroShift to create our first road group that will only be available here at Nashbar.
Clamp-style front derailleur
10-speed design, maximized for rapid shifting
Cold-forged aluminum construction for stiffness and weight savings
* Front double

WEIGHT: 110.5g
MATERIAL: Aluminum
MAX. CHAINRING: 56t
CAPACITY: 16t
CLAMP DIAMETER: 31.8, 34.9mm
MSRP: INR 2523
Nashbar: INR 1660 / $24.99
SAVE 34% = INR 863

Nashbar CR2 Compact Road Bike Crankset
======================================
Item # NB-CR2

[attachment:7]NB-CR2-NCL-TOP.jpg[/attachment]

The Nashbar CR2 Compact Road Bike Crankset is the next generation in a long line of quality Nashbar cranks. The CR2 uses the proven ISIS bottom bracket interface and high quality alloy crankarms for stiff, responsive performance
Alloy outer ring shaves weight
CNC machining reduces the time it takes to shift
Carbon steel inner ring for longer life

WEIGHT: 736g
MATERIAL: Alloy
BB - COMPATIBILITY: ISIS
RINGS: 50/34T
RING MATERIAL: Alloy outer ring; Carbon steel inner ring
LENGTHS: 170, 172.5, 175mm
BCD: 110mm
MSRP: INR 6641
Nashbar: INR 3320 / $49.99
SAVE 50% = INR 3321

Nashbar ISIS Bottom Bracket
Item # NS-ISBB

[attachment:8]NS-ISBB-NCL-ANGLE.jpg[/attachment]

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... -ANGLE.jpg

This bottom bracket makes a great replacement for your ISIS crankset.

Hollow chromoly spindle adds stiffness while cutting down on weight
Durable cartridge bearings are designed to last
Our ISIS bottom bracket by TH industries is a light, affordable ISIS alternative
Use Park BBT-22 or Nashbar Bottom Bracket tool to install

WEIGHT: 250g
MATERIAL: Steel Spindle
COMPATIBILITY: ISIS
BB - COMPATIBILITY: 68mm English Threaded
RINGS: N/A
RING MATERIAL: N/A
LENGTHS: N/A
BCD: N/A
MSRP: INR 2324
Nashbar: INR 1859 / $27.99
SAVE 20% = INR 465

Aztec Shifter Cable And Housing Set
===================================
Item # AZ-SCS

These Aztec shifter cables and housing are a great way to boost your drivetrain performance. They're designed to reduce friction and improve feel, giving you more responsive, accurate shifting.
Slick stainless steel cables reduce friction and prevent corrosion
SuperSlick liner further reduces friction to improve lever feel
Anti-compression strands prevent cable from getting hung up in the housing
Includes 2 shifter cables, 4mm housing, ferrules and cable ends
Compatible with both Road and Mountain
Housing: continuous length, 245cm
Inner Cables: 220cm each

WEIGHT: 110g
MATERIAL: Stainless steel cables
COMPATIBILITY: Road and Mountain
MSRP: INR 1660
Nashbar: INR 1460 / $21.99
SAVE 12% = INR 199

Selle Italia Q-Bik SE Saddle
============================
Item # SI-QBIK

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... -ANGLE.jpg

Discover a whole new world of bliss with a saddle that's designed for extra-ordinary, but performance minded, comfort. The Selle Italia Q-Bik SE saddle delivers an aggressively shaped road saddle with some extra thick padding and a center channel cut out to keep you more focused on the ride, and less about how sore your butt feels.

FEC alloy rails won't twist or deform while riding
Microfiber cover is durable and weather resistant
Anatomically correct shape helps minimize chafing and maximize comfort
Center channel cut out helps promote healthy blood flow to important places

WEIGHT: 270g
COVER: Microfiber
RAILS: FEC alloy
DIMENSIONS: 272mm x 140mm
MSRP: INR 4316
Nashbar: INR 1992 / $29.99
SAVE 54% = INR 2325

Nashbar Handlebar Tape
======================
Item # NA-HT

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... BB-TOP.jpg

Closed cell Nashbar Handlebar Tape with extra cushioning and excellent vibration dampening properties. Non-adhesive backing so you can reuse it when it's time to run new cabling, or give it a wash when things take a turn for the stinky.

Closed cell foam tape reduces vibrations to save your palms
Includes end plugs and finishing tape
Non-adhesive backing.

WEIGHT: 20g/ea
MATERIAL: Closed-cell foam
Rating: 4.5
MSRP: INR 663
Nashbar: INR 398 / $5.99
SAVE 40% = INR 266

Vittoria Rubino III Road Tire (700 x 23c)
=========================================
Item # YT-RUBI

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... -TREAD.jpg

Get that high-performance feel from Vittoria's Rubino III Road cycling tire. At 60 TPI, this tire is supple enough for great traction, but the addition of Kevlar reduces rolling resistance and puncture susceptitbility--an excellent all-purpose tire for an impressive price.

This performance tire incorporates 60 TPI nylon casing cord, offering a good mix of durability, performance and affordability. The addition of Kevlar improves wear, enhances grip and reduces rolling resistance PBR puncture protection is placed directly under the tread for maximum puncture protection while maintaining low rolling resistance. Updated tread pattern increases the contact surface area and preserves low rolling resistance. 4-wire rigid bead provides an easy fit to wheel.

WEIGHT: 335g
SIZE(S): 700 x 23c
TPI: 60
BEAD: Wire
MAX. PSI: 130
TIRE TYPE: Road
MSRP: INR 1992
Nashbar: INR 996 / $14.99
SAVE 50% = INR 996

Vittoria Ultralite Long Valve Tube
==================================
Item # VT-ULLV

https://media.nashbar.com/images/nashba ... L-ROLL.jpg

WEIGHT: 85g (700x19/23); 75g (650x 19/23)
VALVE: Presta
SIZE: 700x19/23, 650x19/23
VALVE LENGTH: 51mm
VALVE STEM THREADED: No
MSRP: INR 597
Nashbar: INR 531 /$7.99
SAVE 11% = INR 66

Nice thread Cyclist. I saw this long time ago, but didn't think I would join the thread too.

Like you said, want to do some work out and bored of walking / jogging etc. More than bored, it's laziness, to be frank. Hence, thought of Cycling and a friend mine too had the same thoughts. So, we are thinking to get one and roam around when we get time, especially on weekends. Hence, need some suggestions.

1. Why? - For Fitness / Weight Loss. Does it really work?
  2. What? - Gear-Less Bicycle, as the basic idea is for workout and not for adventure.
  3. Range? - 3 - 4K. Used ones would do too, provided it's well maintained.

Thread Starter #28
Nice thread Cyclist. I saw this long time ago, but didn't think I would join the thread too.

Like you said, want to do some work out and bored of walking / jogging etc. More than bored, it's laziness, to be frank. Hence, thought of Cycling and a friend mine too had the same thoughts. So, we are thinking to get one and roam around when we get time, especially on weekends. Hence, need some suggestions.

I really appreciate you Figoian and I am glad to know that you want to start cycling. It's never too late to start something that makes you feel good. Cycling will make you feel good and happy. As someone said, you just need 10 seconds of courage in life to achieve anything you want. So dont be lazy:) And never say you do not have time. Make time and go out cycling. Trust me it's totally worth it.

1. Why? - For Fitness / Weight Loss. Does it really work?
    Definitely. 1 hour of cycling at medium pace will burn about 160 cals. So if you can cycle for about 5-6 hrs, can easily burn about 700-800 cals. And 5-6 hrs of cycling on a weekend once you are experienced is a piece of cake. I and my buddies ride on an average of 10-12 hrs and cover 100-150 kms. So I suggest you to start with short distances and gradually increase your distance. After a month, see the difference in your body. And I'll invite you for our usual Nandi Hill climb challenge[:)]
  2. What? - Gear-Less Bicycle, as the basic idea is for workout and not for adventure.
    Adventure or workout; get a geared bike. Think long term. It helps you ride more comfortably on uneven, inclined, declined surfaces. And once you start cycling properly, you would definitely want to go long distance and do hill climbs. You cannot do all of these on a gearless bike(well, you can if you argue[;)])
  3. Range? - 3 - 4K. Used ones would do too, provided it's well maintained.
I am very doubtful with your budget, even if you look at used ones. A basic geared bicycle for use starts from 10K. The main difference between these 3-4K bikes and 10k+ bikes is that the cheap bikes do not have proper geometry, bad riding position and heavy. It'll take a toll on your body with knee, back, neck, wrists, elbow injuries if you ride for long. Which is why we invest on costlier ones. (try riding a bike which costs 20+K along with a 3K bike, and see the difference I am referring to). So I strongly suggest you to increase youe budget a bit and buy a good bike. You will not regret it

I am very doubtful with your budget, even if you look at used ones. A basic geared bicycle for use starts from 10K. The main difference between these 3-4K bikes and 10k+ bikes is that the cheap bikes do not have proper geometry, bad riding position and heavy. It'll take a toll on your body with knee, back, neck, wrists, elbow injuries if you ride for long. Which is why we invest on costlier ones. (try riding a bike which costs 20+K along with a 3K bike, and see the difference I am referring to). So I strongly suggest you to increase youe budget a bit and buy a good bike. You will not regret it
Not sure, yet will have to check the both to have better understanding as you suggested. However, as I mentioned earlier, my purpose is not for adventure, but fitness. Thinking of riding it a bit every morning, which is just an expectation as of now [;)] but at least a 2 - 3 hours of ride on weekends. So all in all, I would use it about 3 - 4 days a week. So, don't like to spend much on it.

Top Bottom