Leh - Ladakh Road Trip in Mahindra Scorpio

Thread Starter #107
BTW whats is your next mission Avinash?
Plans are on for Arunachal, but I'm trying to get some details about the road conditions and safety as well.

From the information I have gathered, roads from Kolkata leading to Siliguri is not that great. Also, trying to get some details on permits for Bhutan to visit the Tiger nest. Still too early but I guess, I'll know for sure by Jan/Feb.

Plans are on for Arunachal, but I'm trying to get some details about the road conditions and safety as well.

From the information I have gathered, roads from Kolkata leading to Siliguri is not that great. Also, trying to get some details on permits for Bhutan to visit the Tiger nest. Still too early but I guess, I'll know for sure by Jan/Feb.
For Bhutan you need to get a customs clearencs from Bhutan Govt. It is their in Kolkata and Phuntsholling. I did in when I took my car in 1996,

They give you a temporay registration for 7 days (extendable).

Dont know if rules have changed or not

Hi Avindu, It's a great adventure trip. Nice writeup which made me to feel that I am travelling. Even I am planning to do the similar trip in my scorpio sometime in another 6 months. I was looking for information like safety of the roads, accomodation in remote places etc. How safe this trip if I plan to go with my wife? If you can share some of the details about safety it would be great to the people who are thinking like me.

Thread Starter #110
For Bhutan you need to get a customs clearencs from Bhutan Govt. It is their in Kolkata and Phuntsholling. I did in when I took my car in 1996,

They give you a temporay registration for 7 days (extendable).

Dont know if rules have changed or not
From what I have learnt, the permits can be availed only during a certain time. Guys who I know, who headed to Phuentsholing in Sep, could not get the permits and was told its closed. Unfortunately, the web-site does not provide accurate information either. So, still working on that.

How is the road condition to Tezpur and Itanagar?

I guess the maoists acts have reduced around Bihar.

Hi Avindu, It's a great adventure trip. Nice writeup which made me to feel that I am travelling. Even I am planning to do the similar trip in my scorpio sometime in another 6 months. I was looking for information like safety of the roads, accomodation in remote places etc. How safe this trip if I plan to go with my wife? If you can share some of the details about safety it would be great to the people who are thinking like me.
Thank you rajscorpion. Its completely safe. I would suggest carry a pepper spray/a knife for self defence. We carried these but never came across anything suspicious during the entire trip.

This time around my wife is coming along with me, considering that there is no issues with safety.

Hi Avindu,

The road from Guwahati to Tezpur (200 km)is ok, pretty much driveable. But the road from Siliguri to Guwahati might be in a mess. I have travelled regularly between Siliguri and Cooch Behar / Alipurduar. But do not know between Cooch behar to Guwahati.

I have not been to Itanagar so would not know. I went from Tezpur to Tawang via Bhalukpong and Bomdilla (hired car). I suggest instead of Itanagar you try out this route. It crosses the massive Sela Pass (more than 14500 ft) which is right up their with the passes en route to Leh. From Tawang you can drive up to Tsangetsar Lake which is at a height of almost 16,000ft and one of the best lakes I have ever visited.

I had the entry permits to Bhutan done through a relative of mine who is no more. But I guess when you will be passing Kolkata you can visit their customs office and they will arrange the permits. Will still try to back check details for you.

From what I have learnt, the permits can be availed only during a certain time. Guys who I know, who headed to Phuentsholing in Sep, could not get the permits and was told its closed. Unfortunately, the web-site does not provide accurate information either. So, still working on that.

How is the road condition to Tezpur and Itanagar?

I guess the maoists acts have reduced around Bihar.

Thank you rajscorpion. Its completely safe. I would suggest carry a pepper spray/a knife for self defence. We carried these but never came across anything suspicious during the entire trip.

This time around my wife is coming along with me, considering that there is no issues with safety.
Thanks for the reply Avindu. When are you planning to travel again? Do let me know. If the time peiod matches, I should be able to join you :)

Thread Starter #113
Hi Avindu,

The road from Guwahati to Tezpur (200 km)is ok, pretty much driveable. But the road from Siliguri to Guwahati might be in a mess. I have travelled regularly between Siliguri and Cooch Behar / Alipurduar. But do not know between Cooch behar to Guwahati.

I have not been to Itanagar so would not know. I went from Tezpur to Tawang via Bhalukpong and Bomdilla (hired car). I suggest instead of Itanagar you try out this route. It crosses the massive Sela Pass (more than 14500 ft) which is right up their with the passes en route to Leh. From Tawang you can drive up to Tsangetsar Lake which is at a height of almost 16,000ft and one of the best lakes I have ever visited.

I had the entry permits to Bhutan done through a relative of mine who is no more. But I guess when you will be passing Kolkata you can visit their customs office and they will arrange the permits. Will still try to back check details for you.
Thank you Chandranath. Will call you (PM you) for additional details. I would be glad if we can catch up in Kolkata. I'll finalize my plans and update.

Thanks for the reply Avindu. When are you planning to travel again? Do let me know. If the time peiod matches, I should be able to join you :)
Mostly in Aug/Sep. I know, its still a long way to go. Will keep you guys updated.

Avindu, Aug/ sEP is NOT the time to visit these places. Due to the Bay of Bengal effect monsoons are heavy, severe and long in these periods. Their are frequent landslides which block the roads and obstruct your panoramic view. I agree monsoons have thr own beauty, but be ready for some very rough roads.

Thread Starter #115
Avindu, Aug/ sEP is NOT the time to visit these places. Due to the Bay of Bengal effect monsoons are heavy, severe and long in these periods. Their are frequent landslides which block the roads and obstruct your panoramic view. I agree monsoons have thr own beauty, but be ready for some very rough roads.
Since Cherapunjee is also on the list, I thought Sep would be a good time. So, May/June would be an ideal time?

Since Cherapunjee is also on the list, I thought Sep would be a good time. So, May/June would be an ideal time?
May or late Sep / Oct. However Cherra and Shillong without the rains is not worth visiting.

Basically its a trade of for you. You have Cherra / Shillong on one side while Bhutan beauty and the mighty Arunachal on one side. My inclination is for the later.

Thread Starter #117
May or late Sep / Oct. However Cherra and Shillong without the rains is not worth visiting.

Basically its a trade of for you. You have Cherra / Shillong on one side while Bhutan beauty and the mighty Arunachal on one side. My inclination is for the later.
Thanks for the input Chandranath. Will keep you udpated.

Thank you Chandranath. Will call you (PM you) for additional details. I would be glad if we can catch up in Kolkata. I'll finalize my plans and update.

Mostly in Aug/Sep. I know, its still a long way to go. Will keep you guys updated.
It's pleasure :). Please update me so that we can travel as a group.

As Avindu started this thread and inspired me to go for such long drive, I would prefer to go as a group so that it would be real fun. May be if people are very sure and would like to join then we can consider. The most important thing is we need to first decide when we want to make the trip. is it May or Sep/Oct?

Top Bottom