Leh - Ladakh Road Trip in Mahindra Scorpio

Avindu, i was scratching my head thinking on what to comment after reading this fantabulous T'log (3rd time completed reading it fully) which already has received many appreciations.

Firstly, CONGRATS on successfully completing the trip of a lifetime.
Secondly, thanks a million for sharing minute details of this trip supported by pictures in the right angle in a well organized manner.[clap]

Have added 5* rating to this thread from my end too. This was the best ever T'log that i have ever come across.

After reading your T'log the day before, i indeed have started to think of doing this adventurous trip once in my life time - pretty soon.
I would say "YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME" just like many fellow TAI'ans feel.

I did check out the lone biker's blog too and understood the harsh conditions, physical strain that you went thro. Man, hats off to your determination and your neighbour uncle's too.
Excerpt from his blog:
This jacket and trouser set is especially prepared for mountaineers and is rainproof also. Although I had another jacket which I wore all the time, this jacket proved its worth at Khardungla when one of the Scorpio riders (from Karnataka) who had befriended me on the way was feeling uncomfortable due to minus 5 degree temperature and I gave him this jacket and only then he recovered. He wore it for another hour on the way to Hunder. (cost Rs. 1200 + Rs. 600 for trousers from Stikage, Kamla Market)
One would require mental and physical prepareness before getting this journey done.
I would never take a chance with my city to these rough terrains and crib about the road and chasis damage later. I would prefer a SUV instead.

Thanks once again for the scintillating photographs and the superub description! Just to say the least - You have made my day [:)].

Cheers!

Last edited:
I had also planned for this month, to go and spectate the Raid de Himalaya rally race, but couldn't make it due to shortage of funds and time. Now, I know how badly I have missed it.
That is the same reason that's keeping me too from going on a trip to God's Abode. I really do wish I could make my dream trip before I die at least. The awesome pictures Avindu has posted here is literally making my heart yearn for that trip even more and more.

Thread Starter #93
Wow!! This was one of the best travelogue that I have read!

I had also planned for this month, to go and spectate the Raid de Himalaya rally race, but couldn't make it due to shortage of funds and time. Now, I know how badly I have missed it.

Will tag this thread for my personal reference and source of information. Thanks!
Thank you tantragna. Hope things fall in place for you quite soon. Good luck.

Avindu, i was scratching my head thinking on what to comment after reading this fantabulous T'log (3rd time completed reading it fully) which already has received many appreciations.

Firstly, CONGRATS on successfully completing the trip of a lifetime.
Secondly, thanks a million for sharing minute details of this trip supported by pictures in the right angle in a well organized manner.[clap]

Have added 5* rating to this thread from my end too. This was the best ever T'log that i have ever come across.
Thanks a lot truecitylover. Its good to know that you guys, take your time off your busy schedule to read this.

After reading your T'log the day before, i indeed have started to think of doing this adventurous trip once in my life time - pretty soon.
I would say "YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME" just like many fellow TAI'ans feel
It sure will be an expedition, of a lifetime and remember it forever. Hope to see a TL from you soon.

I did check out the lone biker's blog too and understood the harsh conditions, physical strain that you went thro. Man, hats off to your determination and your neighbour uncle's too
He was amazing and yes, I was feeling very cold, even with 3 layers of clothes. He was kind enough to give his spare jacket and that made me feel a lot better.

One would require mental and physical prepareness before getting this journey done
Yup, it did take me atleast 6 months to prepare for this.

I would never take a chance with my city to these rough terrains and crib about the road and chasis damage later. I would prefer a SUV instead
True. I know guys who have done this, with Swifts/Linea/Ritz/Alto and each one of them have had severe damage, including a broken gear box.

Thanks once again for the scintillating photographs and the superub description! Just to say the least - You have made my day [:)].
It was my pleasure.

This is one of the best travelogue I have ever read. Congratulations on completing the best trip of a human life safely and without any health complications.

Reading through your thread was similar to reading a thriller novel, especially the place your beast got stuck in the snow, I am wondering what if the truck has not come. With the falling temperature your BP would be high in which situation a person can not think normally. Thanks to your companion who did not nag in those situation.

Your travelogue has at least inspired me so much so that I do a leh laddak trip by a heli hop from delhi, rather than driving all the way. But would always be ready to do a similar trip if I get a chance.

Please do share tips in your planning phase, i would be more interested in knowing the effort you put in your planning phase, by gods grace 85% of your planned trip succeeded. [clap]

Congratulations again.[thumbsup]
PS : You are a good driver as well as a good photographer. Thanks for the great pictures, that truly adds value to your travelogue.

350Z

Core Team
I’m short of words to appreciate you for doing this amazing trip and moreover for beautifully writing this travelogue. There are many who take an opportunity to experience such trips but very few who can describe them in detail so that others who’re just reading it feel as if they are experiencing that situation in real. This thread has always kept me hooked for more updates and I have referred it to at least people around me. You have sure become an inspiration for others. Great job. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #96
This is one of the best travelogue I have ever read. Congratulations on completing the best trip of a human life safely and without any health complications
Thank you javabrown.

Reading through your thread was similar to reading a thriller novel, especially the place your beast got stuck in the snow, I am wondering what if the truck has not come. With the falling temperature your BP would be high in which situation a person can not think normally. Thanks to your companion who did not nag in those situation
It was scary and yes, the thought 'what if nobody comes' did occur. So, the worst case scenario was to walk 30Kms to the village. We were lucky.

Your travelogue has at least inspired me so much so that I do a leh laddak trip by a heli hop from delhi, rather than driving all the way. But would always be ready to do a similar trip if I get a chance
Hope you realize your dream soon [;)]

Please do share tips in your planning phase, i would be more interested in knowing the effort you put in your planning phase, by gods grace 85% of your planned trip succeeded. [clap]
That's a long story.

1. The most important thing during my planning stage was to get 3 weeks off from work. So, I worked 6 months without an off (sometimes even during my weekly off's), stayed back after work, trying to create an impression that I work very hard and finally in August, when I said, I wanted 3 weeks off, my manager was like, 'now I know the actual reason'. But, he was kind enough to grant me so many leaves.

2. Next thing, to get my Scorp ready. I have mentioned the details in the first page, including the cost.

3. Time of the year to visit - Initially had plans to go in July/August but decided upon September because I knew there will not be much crowd. This was easily the best part of the trip. No crowd anywhere and we were the only two tourists, in Pangong.

4. I increased my work out schedule in August and probably that helped me a lot.

5. Routes/Maps/logs, took me a couple of months

Congratulations again.[thumbsup]

PS : You are a good driver as well as a good photographer. Thanks for the great pictures, that truly adds value to your travelogue.
Thank you. Its a natural extension for an enthusiast - Car -> Travel -> Photography.

I’m short of words to appreciate you for doing this amazing trip and moreover for beautifully writing this travelogue. There are many who take an opportunity to experience such trips but very few who can describe them in detail so that others who’re just reading it feel as if they are experiencing that situation in real. This thread has always kept me hooked for more updates and I have referred it to at least people around me. You have sure become an inspiration for others. Great job. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thank you 350Z. Its a pleasure to hear from you.

Just finished reading the whole thread.
It's so great and inspiring . No words to explain!

Congrats for your successful journey and thanks for this wonderful travelogue.[clap]

Next time you go, don't hesitate to call me.[;)]

@ 'Fan-Tas-Tic' T'Log and Awesome Pics...Your Lady in Black [;)] was Amazing during the whole Trip...Hats off to You and Uncle for completing a Trip of a Lifetime [clap]

BTW was wondering was it snowing in Sep @Khardungla & Wari-La

@ 'Fan-Tas-Tic' T'Log and Awesome Pics...Your Lady in Black [;)] was Amazing during the whole Trip...Hats off to You and Uncle for completing a Trip of a Lifetime [clap]

Dont call her lady, He is definitely a male, as Avinash described him throughout![evil]

Thread Starter #100
Just finished reading the whole thread.
It's so great and inspiring . No words to explain!

Congrats for your successful journey and thanks for this wonderful travelogue.[clap]

Next time you go, don't hesitate to call me.[;)]
Thank you Vikram. I'll surely let you know, if I get a chance again.

Thank you Ashish. I really dont have the heart to call the Scorp as her, though a lot of people prefer calling their loved possessions, that way. To me, he is a macho with a big heart [;)]

There was heavy snow fall for 3 to 4 days. Lucky (or unlucky) we were there, during that time.

I spoke to a gentleman, who I had met in Leh, who did K-Top couple of days earlier and he said he dint witness any snow and the b'lor guy who I met in Leh (Pic posted earlier with the brit), went to K-top after me and he dint find any snow either. So, as they say, weather can be deceptive.

Dont call her lady, He is definitely a male, as Avinash described him throughout![evil]
Thanks drivetech [:)]

Hi Avindu,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been extremely gripping.

Leh and Ladakh is a dream destination for me. Want to take up my Xylo one day.

Till then will continue reading your notes over and over again.

Dear Mr Avindu,
Great trip. My wife and me are also planning in an Innova this June end or July 2012. I would like to dicuss with you. Could you please guide us I also request for meeting with you for the same.

Thread Starter #103
Hi Avindu,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been extremely gripping.

Leh and Ladakh is a dream destination for me. Want to take up my Xylo one day.

Till then will continue reading your notes over and over again.
Thanks Chandranath. My pleasure. Hope you realise your dream soon. Good Luck!

Dear Mr Avindu,
Great trip. My wife and me are also planning in an Innova this June end or July 2012. I would like to dicuss with you. Could you please guide us I also request for meeting with you for the same.
Thank you ambarrao. Sure, PM me when you're free. I can share all the information I have gathered. (Most of them are already on this thread)

Conrats on completing this adventure. It certainly takes a lot of effort & planning to start an expedition like this let alone complete it.
Very nice pics that you have posted. Honestly any pics of this terrain doesn't do justice to it. t's much more fascinating than what the pics depict.
Having completed this circuit on a Bullet this June I thoroughly respect you for your achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #105
Conrats on completing this adventure. It certainly takes a lot of effort & planning to start an expedition like this let alone complete it.
Very nice pics that you have posted. Honestly any pics of this terrain doesn't do justice to it. t's much more fascinating than what the pics depict.
Having completed this circuit on a Bullet this June I thoroughly respect you for your achievement.
Thanks Lohit. You're absolutely right. Pictures cannot portray, what 'you see'. Good to know that you did this in your Bullet. Please do share your experience. I'm sure it would be fascinating as well.

Top Bottom