Leh - Ladakh Road Trip in Mahindra Scorpio

Yes. I carried all the original documents and carried 5 sets of photocopies. I was asked for the documents once in Ahmedabad and the 2nd time, while coming back, in Delhi.

While leaving your car at parking did you took the original documents with you or kept in car itself?

Till now i doesn't took any original documents with me. I have some fear to keep it in my car while leaving it lonely.

Thread Starter #33
This is heaven on earth. Awesome pictures and a very good trip to go for. Can you share closeups of Tiger Hill, if you have?
Thanks amiti. Unfortunately I missed Tiger Hill as it was around 7PM. Took me some time to cover zoji-la and ended up quite late at Tiger hill.

While leaving your car at parking did you took the original documents with you or kept in car itself?

Till now i doesn't took any original documents with me. I have some fear to keep it in my car while leaving it lonely.
You do not have to be apprehensive at all. It is absolutely safe to leave them in the car.

We slept 8 out of 16 days of this trip, in the car. The car not only had the original documents but also our valuables (Wallet, Phone, Camera, Laptop etc). We stopped at many dhaba's at the middle of the night and slept in it, surrounded by lorry drivers.

You need to be alert all the time, thats all.

Dont anticipate anything so soon. Nothing is planned for the near future. [:)]
Ayee ayee captain.

Thread Starter #34
The roads and views continued after a break

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

There is a lot of debate on how this works, but when you are there, you'll forget everything else and try it yourself. It felt like as though someone was pulling the car from behind. Wonderful Experience.

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

Aint she beautiful?

DSCN0926.jpg

The roads and views could not have got any better, when you're driving to the top of the world.

DSCN0927.jpg

Official entry

DSCN0935.jpg

How does that sound?

DSCN0936.JPG

A localite

DSCN0937.jpg

After this curve..

DSCN0938.jpg

What an outstanding scene. The Indus Valley

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

Hotel May Flower, where we halted for two days.

DSCN0946.jpg

First time ever I saw an apple tree

DSCN0947.jpg

@ Avindu Man You are just amazing! [clap]
I must say this is one of the best travelogue I have ever read, To the point, with correct snaps. Believe me I started reading this in office, I was supposed to work on something important, but I just forgot that and continued till here, though it is not complete yet.[surprise]

Heartily Congratulations man! and many thanks for sharing such a wonderful travelogue!

You Black Scorpio is looking killer with natural beauty of surrounding in all the pics!

Will come back when you post remaining part[thumbsup]

Avindu,
I am falling short of positive adjectives to describe your trip & views of nature . While i was viewing the pics i remembered the song of film Roja (ye haseen wadiyan...). A truckload of thanks to you and uncle for planning this trip and sharing it in such a good resolution for all of us to literally breath the freshness. WOW

amazing trip

You doing this from Bangalore on a Scorpio 2WD and making this happen even after marriage gives me lot of confidence that one day I will be able to fulfill my long waiting wish.

Mera salaam kabul karo [clap]

WOOT!! why didn't you mentioned on leh thread about this trip preparation i might have joined you . doctor said i can't drive but he never said i can't travel :P
BTW scorpio is looking beast like it has returned to its natural place

avidu i see that you have pasted a yellow strip of tape on the right head light as per the police regulations in gujarat , hope ou had no trouble with them.

Thread Starter #40
@ Avindu Man You are just amazing! [clap]
I must say this is one of the best travelogue I have ever read, To the point, with correct snaps. Believe me I started reading this in office, I was supposed to work on something important, but I just forgot that and continued till here, though it is not complete yet.[surprise]
Thank you drivetech4. I'm glad you liked it. Hope your boss, dint notice that [;)]

Heartily Congratulations man! and many thanks for sharing such a wonderful travelogue!
My pleasure.

You Black Scorpio is looking killer with natural beauty of surrounding in all the pics!
I couldn't stop admiring him too.

Will come back when you post remaining part[thumbsup]
There is a lot more to come. Hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Avindu,
I am falling short of positive adjectives to describe your trip & views of nature . While i was viewing the pics i remembered the song of film Roja (ye haseen wadiyan...). A truckload of thanks to you and uncle for planning this trip and sharing it in such a good resolution for all of us to literally breath the freshness. WOW
Thank you carabiker. I thought about that scene from Roja, where he drops her in the snow. I wish I found a girl to drop in that snow, but I found only my uncle and some yaks around.

Honestly, uncle dint even know, where I was taking him, but he enjoyed it.

There is a lot more to come.

amazing trip

You doing this from Bangalore on a Scorpio 2WD and making this happen even after marriage gives me lot of confidence that one day I will be able to fulfill my long waiting wish
Thank you javabrown. My wife supported me a lot during the preparation of this trip. I did miss her but in many ways, I'm glad she dint join me. You'll know why, as I cover the remaining story.

Mera salaam kabul karo [clap]
I'm not that good in Hindi, but I guess the ideal reply is 'Malikum Salaam'. (sorry if thats not the right word)

WOOT!! why didn't you mentioned on leh thread about this trip preparation i might have joined you . doctor said i can't drive but he never said i can't travel :P
BTW scorpio is looking beast like it has returned to its natural place
Its a long story mastersquall but if I do this the next time, will keep you updated. Hope you're recovering well.

avidu i see that you have pasted a yellow strip of tape on the right head light as per the police regulations in gujarat , hope ou had no trouble with them.
Yup, it swerved the purpose. I think its mandatory in PB as well. No cops in GJ or PB stopped us.

Thread Starter #41
Thursday, 15th September

I had to give the Scorp a wash and headed to the Lehling Nawang center around 10 A.M. Took a couple of hours for the complete wash and also got the interiors cleaned.

During that time, met an army official who was from Belgaum. He shared his story about the various places he was posted, food, life in the army and his future plans. It was an honour to have met him.

DSCN0952.jpg

Getting the permits took an hour or so. The guy dint have the forms and had to walk to some place (some stationary shop) to get the forms. I had all the documents and photocopies ready, otherwise had to pay Rs.3 for each photocopy.

DSCN0953.JPG

Leh Palace

DSCN0955.JPG

We had a lot of time to spare, after getting the permits. Thought of first spending the time by visiting the palace but decided to go to Hemis Monastery.

Hemis is a few kms from Karu, around 60Kms from Leh.

Super roads..

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0963.jpg

DSCN0964.jpg

A witty guy in BRO.

DSCN0965.JPG

Shey Palace

DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg

Exemplary views

DSCN0971.jpg

Scorp after a well deserved bath

DSCN0974.JPG

On the way to Hemis

DSCN0990.jpg

DSCN0991.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

Hemis Monastery

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1006.JPG

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

Thread Starter #42
On the way back to Leh

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1052.jpg

As we were entering the hotel, a voice from behind asked in a typical Kannada tone 'Bangaloora'?

I was thrilled to hear that and looked around to see this guy, carrying his biking equipments (a typical biker) and with him a foreigner. After a brief conversation told him, will meet him after freshening up.

We had plans of going to the market to do some shopping but couldn't go out, as it was raining. So, went to meet these guys.

One of them is from Bangalore and the other a Brit. The guy from B'lore was riding his bullet, alone from Delhi. After Manali, the clutch failed and he was trying to fix it. The Brit who was passing by helped him and they started to travel together. After exchaning our stories, we hit the bed by 11.

I was excited as the following day, was going to be the day I waited for so long. K-TOP. Not even in the wildest dreams, I thought, what was in store for us.

DSCN1055.jpg

Brits ride

DSCN1056.jpg

Our Kannadiga boy's ride.

DSCN1057.jpg

Friday, 16th September

I first heard about this place, saw it on pictures, started reading about it and finally I was 40 Kms away from it.

It was a feeling that I dint have, even during my wedding.

As we approached South Pullu, I could not believe what I was looking at.

These were taken on the way.

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1060.jpg

I realized it had snowed the previous night but at the same time I was scared that the roads might be closed.

Check post at South Pullu.

DSCN1061.jpg

The guard at the check post, checked the permits and said no other vehicles have gone by yet and asked me turn back if there was heavy snow on the road.

I could barely control my emotions, when he did not say those words, I was fearing - 'Roads are closed, go back'.

I took off from that place in the fastest way possible, thinking where he might change his mind.

DSCN1067.jpg

Uncle could not believe what we were looking at..

DSCN1074.jpg

..neither could I

DSCN1076.jpg

We took some time to come back to earth and slowly began to climb

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1080.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

If the views ahead of us were mesmerizing, have a look at this at the opposite direction.

DSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1064.jpg

Will continue after a short break.

I lost myself by seeing those beautiful palces in INDIA.

Specially cant move my eyes from your Scorpio in white snow(6th pic from Enfield)

If you informed me about the trip before starting na. definitely i would join with you[anger]

Thread Starter #44
Pics continued..

As it is I was above 17K ft. and this was taking my breath away even more

DSCN1083.jpg

After a short climb..

DSCN1084.jpg

..we stopped again to click few pics. This was to show, our first step on snow. (I know, that's lame)

DSCN1088.jpg

I was falling in love with my Scorp over and over

DSCN1089.jpg

'Virgin' snow.

DSCN1090.jpg

Far away, I saw this guy in his motorcycle. Looked like a small bike and since he was riding alone, we were curious to know, from he was. So, as we waited for him, we were enjoying, what was surrounding us.

DSCN1096.JPG

We tried to have a conversation with the biker, but he was excited to reach the top and said we will meet there.

DSCN1098.jpg

He was all set..

DSCN1099.jpg

This is what I saw, before shutting the door

DSCN1102.jpg

The snow made this drive so special

DSCN1103.jpg

I still had my mouth wide-open

DSCN1104.jpg

Bad roads lead to good destinations!

DSCN1105.jpg

There was something written on that rock..

DSCN1108.jpg

..well, no comments

DSCN1113.jpg

I purposely stopped again. It was a feeling similar to that of, meeting someone special (Like your Girl, types). You want to make that moment wait and wait..

DSCN1115.jpg

It felt as though the roads were decorated and it was a grand welcome to the roof of the world! (That's one way to look at it)

I was on top of the world... literally!

DSCN1127.jpg

Loved the way he looked in that white background.

DSCN1118.jpg

Needless to say, it was very cold and I ran into the cafeteria. I just turned around to click one more pic and was jumping in joy.

DSCN1126.jpg

Then, I read this.

DSCN1119.jpg

After Maggi and Tea, stepped out to click a few pics. There were few tourists vehicles by now, but the one car that stood out was.. yup.. my black beauty. I could not stop admiring him.

DSCN1129.jpg

Top Bottom