Leh - Ladakh Road Trip in Mahindra Scorpio

Thread Starter #61
Saturday, 17th September

Not that I had planned a weekend outing to Pangong, but things fell in place. I wanted to reach Lukung by 3 or 4 PM, spend the evening there and the following morning, drive to Chusul via Spangmik/Merak/Khaltse. However, this drive changed our complete itinerary.

Pangong was 300 odd Kms and the only way I could do it the same day was to leave, as early as possible. So, left Turtuk at 5 in the morning.

As the sun rose, it felt like a screen coming off, unleashing the magical world.

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1351.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

It really was magical

DSCN1353.jpg

I had not seen anything like this before.

DSCN1356.jpg

The Sand dunes looked beautiful

DSCN1366.jpg

The fuel bunk at Hundar. If he is not the owner, then I'm sure he is first guy to visit that bunk.

DSCN1367.jpg

DSCN1371.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

It was around 8, when we crossed Khalsar and we had not had a cup of tea since morning. We badly wanted to eat something but dint find a eatery. It was still cold and the nauseating smell of diesel from the jerry cans, was just unbearable. We had some biscuits and rusks, that held our appetite for some time. It was treat to the eyes though.

These pics were taken on the way to Wari-la

DSC_0385.jpg

This stretch, just before Agam was splendid

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

Enroute to Wari-la

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

What a beautiful journey. definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I salute your will power & patience to drive all the way from southern india to the Himalayas. Also, the Scorpio is a perfect car for such a journey. I can only imagine what peace of mind you must have felt while it was tackling those bad roads easily[clap]

its all awesome. I think i have to soon plan my trip. Let my Torque Tank complete the first service. Your thread will be helpful for me.

Woooh! I heard about the story when I met everyone at the TAI meet and I had to read it, find out about this guy who drives continously without a break for long hours. What do you have inside - long life battery? Just kidding [:)]

What an amazing write up Avindu. Loved each and every bit and all those pics made up for what we have not seen in real. It is a once in a lifetime experience alright, but to do it from Bangalore makes it more special. I have a plan for next year to visit the place. Might need your assistance then.

Once again those pics in snow laden paths were just plain mindblowing. I have experienced similar sights in Scotland, but never in India. I think the call is coming and your T-log has put fire to it!!!

Thread Starter #67
Wow! couldn't stop looking at these pictures again and again. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us.
My Pleasure.

What a beautiful journey. definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I salute your will power & patience to drive all the way from southern india to the Himalayas. Also, the Scorpio is a perfect car for such a journey. I can only imagine what peace of mind you must have felt while it was tackling those bad roads easily[clap]
Thank you shonty. I don't think, I would have thought of doing this, without the Scorp. He made me at ease in many situations.

its all awesome. I think i have to soon plan my trip. Let my Torque Tank complete the first service. Your thread will be helpful for me.
Thanks mitulpomal. Hope to see a t-log from you soon.

The clear blue sky attracts me a lot [:)]
Wait till you see the next set of pics and my story. You'll think twice for sure.

Woooh! I heard about the story when I met everyone at the TAI meet and I had to read it, find out about this guy who drives continously without a break for long hours. What do you have inside - long life battery? Just kidding [:)]
I'll take that as a compliment. Its a combination of certain things I guess.

What an amazing write up Avindu. Loved each and every bit and all those pics made up for what we have not seen in real. It is a once in a lifetime experience alright, but to do it from Bangalore makes it more special. I have a plan for next year to visit the place. Might need your assistance then
Thank you. I'll share all the details in this t-log. Hope it helps you.

Once again those pics in snow laden paths were just plain mindblowing. I have experienced similar sights in Scotland, but never in India. I think the call is coming and your T-log has put fire to it!!!
Hope you discover India soon.

Thread Starter #69
Pics continued..

That's the road we came..

DSC_0397.jpg

..and that's where, we were heading

DSC_0398.jpg

The excitement was not the same as I had while approaching K-Top, but just thought we were lucky to be driving through snow for the 2nd time.

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

It was around 10:30 and we were very hungry. We ate whatever we could find in our food bag.

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

The roads were clear. So far, no sighting of a human.

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

Then we found them. How I wish, they had warned us about, what laid ahead. Btw, what do they get to eat in the snow?

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

Dint find anyone inside or outside that lorry. Looked like some construction work on that bridge.

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

There were no tracks and the roads were covered with snow. Uncle asked, if I want to go back but going back to Khalsar would be about 90 odd Kms and another 90 odd to Leh. I said we will go a little further and see how it goes.

We did quite well for the first 2 or 3 curves. However, the steeper it got, I had to accelerate a little and the car swerved to the right and the left rear, mightly close to the edge.

I had to dig out a stone to support the rear tyre and had to clear the snow in my bear-hands. Uncle tried to help me and in a few minutes had a headache. I somehow managed to find a stone and we went a little further.

DSC_0414.jpg

After another curve, got stuck in the snow. The rear wheels spun on the icy surface was digging a hole. I had to reverse and find a stone to cover the hole. Somehow managed to pull it out and after one more curve, got stuck again.

It looked like, I was almost on the top, however the harder I tried, the car was swerving more towards the side.

The track that we left.

DSC_0415.jpg

Stuck in snow at 17000 ft.

DSCN1380.jpg

(This is the place where I took the picture, that I posted on the first page, first post)

Tried absolutely everything I could think of :

1. Reversed the car a little, tried gaining some speed, but was scared to go towards the extreme right and kept getting stuck in the hole I drilled, with wheel spin.
2. Covered the hole with a stone and tried again, but kept slipping
3. Found two bigger stones and gave support to both rear tyres, no go
4. Tried clearing the snow using my boots and removed some using my hand.
5. I thought, I was slowly revving the engine, but I dint realize it had gone upto to the 4000 mark (rpm)
6. Black smoke all over the place and the smell of unburnt fuel, scared me more, thinking I would conk some critical component.
7. The fuel indicator needle was at the half way mark and it had gone down, almost till the red. So, I had lost around 12 to 13 ltrs of fuel.

So, sat on a rock thinking what to do. I was hoping that some vehicle would pass by. Worst case, I had to walk to Shakti to get some help but I was scared to do that, leaving uncle alone in the car.

I decided to plan the next league of the journey :

1. I had about 45 ltrs of fuel in the cans and around 18 to 20 ltrs in the car.
2. To Pangong, I had to go through Chang la and I was scared, there would be snow as well
3. Tsaga la towards Hanle and Namachang la towards Tso Moriri
4. To skip all 3 and head to Leh, but I could not reverse the car
5. To skip everything and head to Manali, as I was not sure if the fuel I had was sufficient. This idea did hurt a little.

With snow as my company at 17K ft, there was not much of help.

After agonizingly spending over an hour, (now more than 2 hours, since this drama started) I saw two guys walking down from the top, carrying shovels. It was a sight, I'll never ever forget. There was a truck right behind them and few other guys from GREF helped in clearing the path. I could not stop thanking them.

DSCN1382.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

The scariest experience of this trip. Worst, I was just one curve away from the top.

DSCN1384.jpg

Shakti, was around 30Kms and took me a couple of hours to reach. Found a hotel and had some maggi. Gave uncle tablets and made him rest.

Filled up the tank and cleaned the cans as much as I could. It was already 3:30PM and I had to decide, whether to go Pangong or not.

Called and spoke to Kumar sir. Told him the story and asked for assistance to plan ahead. He said, not many people are aware about Tsaga la and best to be avoided. So, I thought I'll skip Pangong as well and head to Kaza, instead of Manali. However, he said it would have snowed there too.

Took some time and thought will take another chance at the snow. Decided to go to Pangong and to my bad luck, nobody in the village knew, the status of the roads.

Asked uncle if he can sleep in the car and we had to go another 100Kms. He said he was feeling a little better and agreed to come, instead of staying in Shakti.

After climbing up a few kms, saw an army truck. Stopped him and asked the road condition. He said, the snow has been cleared and it is safe to go. I was so relieved to hear that and tried making it to Lukung asap.

However, the tar roads ended abruptly and the trade mark ladakhi style road began. I gave everything I could and finally reached Lukung at 7:30 PM.

Just a few pics I managed to click.

DSCN1387.jpg

DSCN1388.jpg

DSCN1389.jpg

Amazing pics & narration Avinash.
Good to know Army were helpful in clearing the path.

This is where i feel the need of a 4WD in my Hawk, and i really miss it.
As the option of getting 4WD was not there when i purchased the hawk.

Now tell me is it complete by all means from your side? If not I will wait till it gets completed, its like a interesting story book for me, I want to read it from start to end at one go!
I would love to join you on your next trip ! wherever it may be!
Dont search for the partner just PM me.!

Thread Starter #73
Amazing pics & narration Avinash.
Good to know Army were helpful in clearing the path
Thanks Mukesh. Yes, they are and they really get excited to see vehicles from KA, because most of them who I met were from Belgaum and Coorg.

This is where i feel the need of a 4WD in my Hawk, and i really miss it.
As the option of getting 4WD was not there when i purchased the hawk.
Yeah, that would have helped.

A great travelogue and wonderful pictures.

Keep them coming.

It a real adventurous trip.

[clap]
Thank you autosafari. It sure was adventurous.

Now tell me is it complete by all means from your side? If not I will wait till it gets completed, its like a interesting story book for me, I want to read it from start to end at one go!
I would love to join you on your next trip ! wherever it may be!
Dont search for the partner just PM me.!
Will complete it today drivetech4. Just been busy with work. Yup, will surely let you know.

Thread Starter #74
Sunday, 18th September

To me, it was not the usual sunday morning, going to a darshini and having a coffee.

I did drink coffee, but looking at this..

DSCN1394.jpg

She was lost in her thoughts too.

DSCN1395.jpg

Crystal clear water.

DSCN1396.jpg

DSCN1397.jpg

What a sight, when this colour comes up.

DSCN1420.jpg

DSCN1429.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Uncle was gleaming and he was feeling a lot better.

DSCN1426.jpg

I really felt bad for what I had to make him go through...

DSCN1422.jpg

..but he gave me a look, 'Give me more' (I have gone bonkers, I know)

DSCN1421.jpg

Lovely colours!

DSCN1434.jpg

DSCN1431.jpg

No, I dint slip. Just trying to pose.

DSCN1416.jpg

This was much easier

DSCN1439.jpg

One of those FB pics.. I too was there.

DSC_0434.jpg

Thats where we stayed.

DSCN1449.jpg

Cute little fellow.

DSCN1451.jpg

Couldn't take a pic of this, on our way as it was dark. So, took some on the way back.

DSCN1453.jpg

Extra-ordinary!

DSCN1455.jpg

Definitely no words avinash, the pics are treat to eyes.
And crystal clear water with blue tinge is amazing.

Wow the jawans from karnataka , i know what it feels at that moment.
Seeing their states vehicle and speaking in Kannada at an unknown destination.

Top Bottom