Learning To Ride on a New Motorbike

Thread Starter #1
Hi Experts,

I am a proud owner of a new Avenger 220 :)

But I am worried because I do not know to drive bike well. So I am worried if I am hurting my bike? :(

Riding it on a straight road on 25-30 is not an issue for me.

I face issues while
- Taking turns
- on Slopes
- Downshifting gears as I tend to forget which gear I am in.

So at times,
- Bike comes to a stall after jerk if I forget to downshift from 2nd to 1st and I am on a very low speed.
- I am not able to judge the distance to parking slot and apply sudden front breaks and once or twice it was about to skid.

Am I being harsh to my bike by learning on a brand new bike? How bad it can be for the health of the bike?

Hi Experts,

But I am worried because I do not know to drive bike well. So I am worried if I am hurting my bike? :(

Riding it on a straight road on 25-30 is not an issue for me.

I face issues while
- Taking turns
- on Slopes
- Downshifting gears as I tend to forget which gear I am in.

So at times,
- Bike comes to a stall after jerk if I forget to downshift from 2nd to 1st and I am on a very low speed.
- I am not able to judge the distance to parking slot and apply sudden front breaks and once or twice it was about to skid.

Am I being harsh to my bike by learning on a brand new bike? How bad it can be for the health of the bike?
It is ok.
Infact I've done the same with my Yamaha R15 3 years back and she is still healthy with 80k kms on clock ;)

Re: Learning bike riding on a new bike. Bad?

Its is bad. Because, if you fall down or meet with an accident, your new bike may get damaged severely.

Ride and learn on any 100-125cc bike and then take your avenger!

Its is bad. Because, if you fall down or meet with an accident, your new bike may get damaged severely.

Ride and learn on any 100-125cc bike and then take your avenger!
Even if he falls down from any other bike it also matters and after all the riding position of avenger is entirely different from almost 90% bikes!

Re: Learning Bike Riding on a New Bike. Bad?

Even if he falls down from any other bike it also matters and after all the riding position of avenger is entirely different from almost 90% bikes!
No no, I meant that he should first learn on small commuter bikes (not a new one, an old one). After he learns and masters the riding technicques, then the only thing to learn is the riding position of Avenger. If he rides Avenger for about 1000 kms, he will completely adjusted to the bike and NOW ALL OK FOR HIM TO RIDE!

Re: Learning Bike Riding on a New Bike. Bad?

Hi Experts,

I learned to ride on my new bike so i don't think its bad as long as you control your urge to ride beyond your abilities. Start slowly, ride in open roads to get the feel of the bike and how it handles, Take a few U turns, lean into corners slightly (use counter steering). Practice braking etc.
I never crossed 33kph for first few hundred KMs because i wasn't sure if i will be able to stop in time.

- Taking turns : Although taking turns/U turns with avenger is a little difficult due to long Wheel Base and low seat, you will learn this with time, I had issues while taking U turns as well.
- on Slopes: What kind of issue you face there?
- Downshifting gears as I tend to forget which gear I am in. : Few hundred KMs of city riding and you will know exactly which gear you are in. Although after 12k KMs, i still get confused and look for 6th gear in my bike (mine has 5 speed gearbox)

- I am not able to judge the distance to parking slot and apply sudden front breaks and once or twice it was about to skid : When you are going to park, ride slowly there, use your feet to balance the bike and slowly put it in the space. Braking should be progressive, Don't just grab handfull of brake at once, it will lock your wheels. Avenger is more prone to skid due to low CG and long wheelbase but you can still tame it once you've learned the proper technique.

Learning to ride a two wheeler

Dear people,
I live in New Delhi. I wish to learn how to ride a bike. I don't even know how to ride a bicycle. None of my friends (yes that is what they call themselves) is ready to help me. They all have excuses. Can anybody help me in this regard? ANy two wheeler for that matter. I cannot balance the scooter at all. Please help.

Re: Learning to ride a two wheeler

Dear people,
I live in New Delhi. I wish to learn how to ride a bike. I don't even know how to ride a bicycle. None of my friends (yes that is what they call themselves) is ready to help me. They all have excuses. Can anybody help me in this regard? ANy two wheeler for that matter. I cannot balance the scooter at all. Please help.
It might be really tempting to go for a nice bike from the start. In a word, don't. The best bet is to learn balance on a bicycle but if you're too shy to learn to ride a bicycle now, get a very cheap second hand scooter and learn in that. You will take a little longer to learn than others do because you're a complete fresher now but that's okay.
If you have a public playground nearby, that's great but if you don't, choose the least congested road. But no, don't go there in normal hours. Step out in early hours like 5:30 in the morning and do not stay on the road any longer than 7:00 AM. Be patient and learn balance. After that, just keep riding like that for a while. After that, venture into a little traffic and try your luck (beware of the cops and always use a helmet). Once you get the hang of it, the first thing you have to do is get your license. Now since you can legally go anywhere, try out denser traffic and work your way up.
In any case, don't ever experiment with speed, handling braking etc.; not even after you perform like a star and earn your license. Our roads are not meant for speeding and stuff so ride safe, be safe [:)]

For all guys who tend to ride bike after riding constantly in gearless vehicle the "main issue is holding clutch for brake ".
Set the following in mind - For slow speed ,hold clutch and then brake.For high speed.hold brake and then clutch.
Also never byheart the gear number.
For a universal gear system type bike (Mostly all new bikes ,except hero honda splendor ,honda shine etc), when you require more power tap gear lever downwards by toe,when power is adequate and need speed ,then tap gear lever upward,by placing toe underneath .
These 2 factors are the one which challenged me for quite a number of days ,but once i got practiced,am confident of riding it.
For climbing inclines if one finds difficult when to slot or change gear for power ,best way is ,while starting the incline ,start from rest.Hence you can travel full incline in 1st gear itself ,and do not accelerate,just throttle enough to go in an incline at 10-15km/h(max).
After incline you can upshift .
In rough uneven roads (Full of big holes and ups and downs),slot into 2nd gear (if ride was previously in higher gears),and with clutch action you can control ride (I can't explain this,its one thing you need to get experienced)

Re: Learning to ride a two wheeler

Dear people,
Hey man, don't loose your confidence. Before going to any two wheeler you need to learn balancing yourself on bicycle. Its just matter of an hour.

If you can get hold of someone who can grab your bicycle seat from behind when riding then that's enough. Go to grounds and give 15min for making left turns then another 15min for right turns, once your brain understand this then you can anyhow ride in straight line. Do this straight line riding for 30mins. Try the same for atleast 2 days and bingo!! you are done.

This way i have taught many people to ride bicycle including my wifey and kid [:)]

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies people. The problem is that I don't have a license and nobody that can provide a bike or something. Buying a second hand vehicle is anyway so risky. PEople just sell their junk and i might end up buying crap for 20k which i may use in buying a new bike. I dont want to spend a lot ona bike which i would want to get rid off soon. I really want to ride a bike. I am just losing hope this way.

I don't think it's a good idea to ride a scooter when you don't know how to balance a cycle. If you really want to learn to ride a bike, first start with a cycle. If you are embarrassed to so, then it will be a very hard way.

In a 100 step journey you can't take the 100th step in one go. You gotta start with 1st step.

You can purchase a used cycle(no fear of getting junk), practice balancing at a place far from your home at empty places/parks/open grounds(no fear of getting into a legal case, driving license documents etc), less weight(so easy to handle)

Once you have learned to balance the cycle(which you will in a few days), join your local cycle riders group and practice, then onto scooter and the bike.
You can also add a eco friendly tag to your cycle(a green sticker), in case you don't want to be embarrassed. Anyone trying to ridicule you, just tell them that you are doing your part to keep Delhi air clean[:)].

Otherwise, you can stay where you are, fearing being embarrassed and you won't be able to learn at all.

Top Bottom