Landrover Series III LW

Thread Starter #1
This rare model of land rover was a result of British Army's demand for Air portable vehicle during mid sixties. The lightest land rover available at that time was SIIa 88' which weighted about 2 tons. It was stripped down by removing as many non-essential items and reducing others to give the Series IIA Lightweight. This process included dispensing with the front bumper and the spare tyre. Parts of the body, the doors, and windscreen were replaced with simpler, easy to remove items. The most major change was a reduction in width, which meant it would fit on a standard pallet but requiring shorter axles.
Complete, the Lightweight IIA weighed 1202 kg, over the specified weight. With the removable body panels taken off it was below the limit. Ministry of Defence accepted.

Series IIA production began in 1968. The Series IIA Lightweight was replaced by the Series III Lightweight in 1972 matching the replacement of the civilian IIA with the III. The most notable change being the move of the headlights from the grill to the wings in line with new automotive lighting regs.

The following LR, I guess is the only example in the country in stock form with everything original.

Enjoy the images...
As they say 75% of LR that left Solihull are still on road. and also the very first vehicle seen by 75% of world's population is a Land Rover.

The Beast or maybe we can call it beauty.
machine (Medium).jpg

Indside, check the fuel tank selector and kill switch above clutch pedal
cabin1.jpg

Inside, All three shifters
cabin.jpg

Engine Bay, check the modded Amby Carb.
engine bay3.jpg

Speedo in mph and kmph
DSC00128 (Medium).JPG

Ok! Thats dork looking thingy is me!
lr kenden1.jpg
lr kenden.jpg

Oil Cooler and Heater
oil heater and cooler.jpg

Rear end
lr back (Medium).jpg

The Badge says it all!

P1060208 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
hey, you are a huge LR fan? how do you feel now after LR has been taken over by tata? is this a good move or do you think LR is doomed?

Thread Starter #4
I feel Its a good move. And i feel TATA has done us proud. Those morons at BMW and later ford are responsible of LRs current state.

I will be more happy if TATA launches Defender here at reasonable price and kick Mahindra's Bu**.
Thats the only true Land Rover left. Rest are huge flashy SUVs. that owner hardly take it offroad, thats what its really meant for.

Awesome!!! How did I missed it? [clap]
Landrover, you should be proud owning this classic beast, and what you posted is just a trailer I believe, Where's complete story? Please do share more details of its ownership, like maintenance cost, experience and from where did you get it?

Thread Starter #10
Maintainance is easy if you know about cars. I do much of my repair my self. Sourcing parts is a headache. Hence i have each and every part extra for it lying in our garage. we bough two paperless land rovers and stripped it for parts.

extra meter (Medium).jpg

extra parts5 (Medium).jpg

extra parts4 (Medium).jpg

extra tr (Medium).jpg

original solex (Medium).jpg

Top Bottom