KTM Duke 390 (2016) - Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #32
March 2021
Odo - 53900 Kms

Rising fuel prices and my need to use my Dad's activa along with my Tiago, Duke was used sparingly this month. Mostly will be servicing this month if it crosses 54500 kms.

Thread Starter #33
April
Odo - 54700

Bike has almost done 5000 kms since my last service and as per my schedule, it is due for service. Adjusted the chain slack during this month's wash session. Will be cleaning the brake pads sometime next week. Planning to get the service done outside as I need to check Clutch condition and valve clearance. Hesitating because the second wave of pandemic is getting severe day by day. If there comes a lockdown in TN, I will replace the oil myself.

Stay safe and avoid going out unnecessarily.

Thread Starter #34
May
Odo - 55100

The bike had to be used for a long drive to my native for some personal reasons. Got the necessary E-Pass and travelled. Rear Tyre is almost bald now. Need to start checking for good deals on the Apollo Alpha tyres as the metzelers are not available due to import restrictions on tyres. This time may not replace both the tyres. Just the rear alone as the front has more than half the life and the wear is pretty even.

deville_56

Honoured Member
May
Odo - 55100

The bike had to be used for a long drive to my native for some personal reasons. Got the necessary E-Pass and travelled. Rear Tyre is almost bald now. Need to start checking for good deals on the Apollo Alpha tyres as the metzelers are not available due to import restrictions on tyres. This time may not replace both the tyres. Just the rear alone as the front has more than half the life and the wear is pretty even.
Michelin Road 5 is worth considering and feedback is similar to Metz, but costlier than Alpha. Happy with Alpha, but never got the chance of throwing hard around the corner.

Thread Starter #37
June
Odo - 56400 Kms

Did a roud trip of 750 to my native. The rear tyre is gone. Have started searching for tyres and it is also time for next service. Have been held up with house shifting work. So this time would be giving the bike to service at a good FNG.

Thread Starter #38
July 2021
Odo 56800 Kms

Search for a good garage continues and so the search for even apollo tyres. Amazon is undeliverable and I've enquired around 15 shops here in Coimbatore and none have stock. Planning to change the oil and coolant at home and get the spark plug changed, Clutch checked, Front fork oils and seals replaced and also Brake fluids changed.
Rear brakes were making noise. Tried cleaning the pads but the noise didn't go away. So replaced new pads and sound is gone. But the old pads seemed to have lot of life in them, may be very old pads.

deville_56

Honoured Member
July 2021
Odo 56800 Kms

Search for a good garage continues and so the search for even apollo tyres. Amazon is undeliverable and I've enquired around 15 shops here in Coimbatore and none have stock. Planning to change the oil and coolant at home and get the spark plug changed, Clutch checked, Front fork oils and seals replaced and also Brake fluids changed.
Rear brakes were making noise. Tried cleaning the pads but the noise didn't go away. So replaced new pads and sound is gone. But the old pads seemed to have lot of life in them, may be very old pads.
Pads tend to become harder over time. It's been a long time since I have changed worn out pads, almost all changed due to the noise with lots of life left.

Thread Starter #40
August 2021
Odo 57000 kms

Got the rear tyre replaced to Apollo Alpha. Impressed with the performance very much. Got the oil, oil filter and air filter changed at around 57000 kms. Soon after got a hairline crack on my left thumb. So bike hasn't seen much running this month. Currently no bike riding for few more days. Spark plug, fuel filter change is pending. Also need to check the clutch and address the valve door oil leaking problem which has recurred after 55000 kms. At around 60,000 kms will be replacing the fork oils.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Thread Starter #41
Bought new EBC Fully syntered front brake pads from Motousher. Was satisfied with the Brembo syntered pads available at the KTM showroom, but EBC's are way better both in terms of life and braking feel. Will be changing the front and rear brake fluid along with the brake pad change.

Neat packing from Motousher and arrived via FedX in 4-5 days.
1.jpg

EBC FA606HH for Duke 390
2.jpg

Ordered a set for my friend's Himalayan too.
3.jpg

Got a complimentary chain wax too.
4.jpg

deville_56

Honoured Member
Bought new EBC Fully syntered front brake pads from Motousher. Was satisfied with the Brembo syntered pads available at the KTM showroom, but EBC's are way better both in terms of life and braking feel. Will be changing the front and rear brake fluid along with the brake pad change.

Neat packing from Motousher and arrived via FedX in 4-5 days.
View attachment 289166
EBC FA606HH for Duke 390
View attachment 289167
Ordered a set for my friend's Himalayan too.
View attachment 289168
Got a complimentary chain wax too.
View attachment 289169
Curious to know the cost involved [evil]

Brembo pads from new 390?

Thread Starter #43
Curious to know the cost involved
Rs. 2900. This is the 4th set of pads. 2 EBC's used after the stock pads got over. Wanted to try Brembo's from new Duke 390, so got it for my Ladakh trip. The pads have lasted me aproximately 20k kms out of which 14-15k kms were purely highway. Now going back to my Favourite EBC's.

Brembo pads from new 390?
Yes. They costed me 1800 something when I bought it in 2019 July. Not sure of the cost now.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Rs. 2900. This is the 4th set of pads. 2 EBC's used after the stock pads got over. Wanted to try Brembo's from new Duke 390, so got it for my Ladakh trip. The pads have lasted me aproximately 20k kms out of which 14-15k kms were purely highway. Now going back to my Favourite EBC's.

Yes. They costed me 1800 something when I bought it in 2019 July. Not sure of the cost now.
Still running on regular Bybres. Had an itch for Brembos, but this ain't getting over. My Spare Market guy even tempted with a discounted rate [lol]

Thread Starter #45
you will definitely like the brembo's as you are upgrading from bybre's. They are more than enough for city rides and highway cruising, Since I have tasted the EBC's which are better, I am not able to resist going back to it.

Top Bottom