Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalayas

Thread Starter #61
Re: Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalay

After seeing St Xavier's School in your photograph, I became nostalgic. Since I do business of foreign books, I supplied so many collections for their library in the year 2007, 2008 & 2010. Principal Sr Jane was a true gentle lady.

Thanks Chandranath for recalling me the place.

Warm regards,
Soumalya
Great that it sent you down the memory lane. I had taken the snap for 2 reasons..

1) This was the landmark where you have to take a briddle steep path up to Sillery and leave the metalled road to Pedong.
2) I studied in St. Xavier's School Kolkata and was nostalgic seeing its name up in the mountains

Re: Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalay

Mr Chandranath
An excellent TL very nicely narrated and supported by pictures and very inspiring too. If anyone wants to visit sillery village can we get hired jeeps from Siliguri how far is it from Siliguri and any idea what are jeep hire charges

Regards
Ashis_525

Thread Starter #63

Mr Chandranath
An excellent TL very nicely narrated and supported by pictures and very inspiring too. If anyone wants to visit sillery village can we get hired jeeps from Siliguri how far is it from Siliguri and any idea what are jeep hire charges

Regards
Ashis_525
You can get hired jeeps from Siliguri. But in case you don't then go up to Kalimpong. From thr to Pedong. Just before reaching Pedong a dirt track of 6 km will take you to Sillery.

Thread Starter #65

Welcome to TAI Piyal.

Checked your log. Nice to know you are from Kolkata. Expecting to meet up with you in our next Kolkata TAI meet, and expecting some of your logs / experiences to be posted here.

Well in all my drives to North Bengal / Sikkim / Bhutan I have usually made a halt over in Raigunj/ Malda/ Bhagalpur. The reason being stretching all the way upto Siliguri and you reach around late evening does not make sense to me. Instead I make the halt in between and then I stretch it straight upto Gangtok / Pelling/ Darj wherever I might be going on the next day. Allows me to space it out better.

But most people usually do it in one day. Its individual choice of course.

Welcome to TAI Piyal.

Checked your log. Nice to know you are from Kolkata. Expecting to meet up with you in our next Kolkata TAI meet, and expecting some of your logs / experiences to be posted here.

Well in all my drives to North Bengal / Sikkim / Bhutan I have usually made a halt over in Raigunj/ Malda/ Bhagalpur. The reason being stretching all the way upto Siliguri and you reach around late evening does not make sense to me. Instead I make the halt in between and then I stretch it straight upto Gangtok / Pelling/ Darj wherever I might be going on the next day. Allows me to space it out better.

But most people usually do it in one day. Its individual choice of course.
Actually I reached around 7.30 , but again I started early. Last 100 Kms , driving was hard, felt tired, honestly, one day 600 km easily you can do it, if your time frame is fixed. we will surely meet, looking forward to do so.

Wonderfully narrated, I am new to this group & have been reading up a lot of fascinating travelogues. Admire your tenacity with the wheel & the pen.

Top Bottom