Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalayas

Re: Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalay

Asolutely brilliant trip, amazing travelogue, well captured through the lense. Hats off to Xylo for having conquered this terrain with utmost ease. Congrats

Thread Starter #32
Re: Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery: Xylo Takes on the Heights of North Bengal Himalay

Asolutely brilliant trip, amazing travelogue, well captured through the lense. Hats off to Xylo for having conquered this terrain with utmost ease. Congrats
Thanx Jazzy, Yes the Xylo did a good job, but it is expected out of any vehicle of the Mahindra DNA.

Next day it will go on to hit higher territorries.

Re: Kolkata Siliguri Reshi Sillery - Xylo takes on the heights of North Bengal Himala

W stands for broad gauge, D stands for diesel engine, P for passenger services, 4B is its power classification.
Probably you know all this, but thought I should write about it for the benefit of non railfans!!!
IMHO, The WDP4B classification is to differentiate it from earlier built WDP4 series locomotives. While the WDP4 locos has four traction motors, the WDP4B class now has six. The first few of these locomotives were imported. Please see the logo of the original manufacture (General Motors) on the axle of locomotive number 20000.
GM logo on the WDP4 class locomotive
Regards,
Rahul

Wonderful place indeed!

Thanks especially for the map of the Pedong-Reshi-Lava region.

A few quick Qs:
- The BPCL Petrol pump on NH34 - is that a BPCL Ghar? Where is the exact location?
- Did the Berhampore Tourist Lodge also look a good place to stay in? From what you said, it is on NH34 itself?
- The Raiganj Tourist Lodge - what is your review on it - good? clean? And how easy is it to get there from the Raiganj bypass?
- Did you take the Malda bypass?
- Can you also share the contact info for Reshi Cottage? Indicative tariffs? Possible to get there during rains also?
- After Reshi, where does the road go?

Awesome journey so far, thoroughly enjoyed you each post keep them coming.

Great pictures and narration Chandranath... Got opportunity to go through at last .. You know the obvious reasons :-)

A few quick Qs:
- Did the Berhampore Tourist Lodge also look a good place to stay in? From what you said, it is on NH34 itself?
Kumar Sir,
If you are going towards Siliguri from Calcutta, this lodge will come up on your left. It is located right on NH 34, barely half a KM ahead of the bridge on the river Ganga (Hooghly). You should not possibly miss it, as it has got prominent signboards outside.
Regards,
Rahul

Really an adventures trip..

Keep it coming:)

Thread Starter #39

IMHO, The WDP4B classification is to differentiate it from earlier built WDP4 series locomotives. While the WDP4 locos has four traction motors, the WDP4B class now has six. The first few of these locomotives were imported. Please see the logo of the original manufacture (General Motors) on the axle of locomotive number 20000.
GM logo on the WDP4 class locomotive
Regards,
Rahul
Great to know that you are so detailed about locomotives. Yours and Jazzy's information are pretty interesting reading for train enthusiasts like me.

Awesome journey so far, thoroughly enjoyed you each post keep them coming.
Great pictures and narration Chandranath... Got opportunity to go through at last .. You know the obvious reasons :-)
Really an adventures trip..

Keep it coming:)
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. Yes will continue with the rest.

Thread Starter #40

Wonderful place indeed!

Thanks especially for the map of the Pedong-Reshi-Lava region.

A few quick Qs:
- The BPCL Petrol pump on NH34 - is that a BPCL Ghar? Where is the exact location?
- The Raiganj Tourist Lodge - what is your review on it - good? clean? And how easy is it to get there from the Raiganj bypass?
- Can you also share the contact info for Reshi Cottage? Indicative tariffs? Possible to get there during rains also?
- After Reshi, where does the road go?
Honoured to have a response from you in my thread.

Before you thank me for the map, please let me express my gratitude to you as I was carrying the detailed route distance between Kol Siliguri from a blog YOU had updated elsewhere.

Here are the answers to your questions.

Yes it is a Ghar. It is situated just before Ranaghat. It would be around 15 km before Ranaghat if I am travelling from Kolkata.

It is an average place to stay. As in all tourist lodges do not expect outstanding / wery good finesse, but they have a minimum benchmark below which they will never fall. As Rahul has already pointed out, it is right on the highway, just before you climb up the bridge to cross the Ganga. It will be to the left if coming from Kolkata

Have stayed in this lodge most of the times I have driven in these areas. It used to be only 8 roomed accommodation. Now it has around 16 and a new biulding costructed. The lodge garden is beautifully kept with whole lot of flowers. There is a small moat sort of a water body inside with a bridge and an island made in between for guests to sit and relax. The rooms are with a balcony facing the highway. The highway runs within 20 mtrs of the balcony and the other side is the bird sanctuary. Rooms are good. Food is plain, simple, tasty and good. I have not heard of the Raigung bypass. Correct me if I am wrong but he highway itself bypasses the town. Why will you need a bypass. The Lodge is just on the highway. When I have been here in Dec, the entire trees within the lodge used to be filled with migratory birds. It is almost an extension of the sanctuary. You can find a link here Raiganj Bird Sanctuary - Kulik Bird Sanctuary, Raiganj Wildlife Sanctuary

I have not checked this bypass also. A day before I started the drive, I got a call from Anisghosh of this forum as to whether I will be taking this by pass or not. Told him I am not aware of this and he also could not tell me where it started, But if thr is a bypass it will help as I was stuck in a jam in Malda for long.

The Reshi cottage is priced at around Rs 800/- per cottage. It can accommodate 4 people easily. Food was extra and not very expensive but tasty. NO you can't go in the rains as the river rises several feet and almost reaches the level of the cottage. The car can't be brought down and the locals take a narrow route and trek it from Reshi village from the Bengal side itself. Regarding the numbers please bear with me for a couple of days. Will upload at the end.

- After Reshi, where does the road go
Reshi is part of the old silk route to Tibet. After Reshi the road goes via Aritar in East Sikkim and climbs up to Zuluk, Kuppup (World's Highest Golf Course), Jelep La, Na Thu La, Tsango Lake and reaches Gangtok. I had plans for this but could not obtain a permit for the Xylo sitting in Kol. Did not have the time to check it once I enter Sikkim So shelved the prog for later half of the year.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41

Day 3 - 16th March

IMG_0487.jpg

The view from my window even as I woke up. Well nothing great to write about, but the blue sky and greenery around is what I don't get in Kolkata / Mumbai wherever I am at different parts of the month. What was missing was the fresh air, free of pollution. So I opened the wimdow to let it in and the view became clearer.

IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg

Opened the door and came out of the cottage.

IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg

On one side I could see Sebastian Pradhan's hutments, the only other place to stay here, slightly upstream

IMG_0473.jpg

And on the other side was the mountains steeply climbing up

IMG_0474.jpg

I walked towards the river. The machan which was our hot seat for the previous night was basking in the morning sun

IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg

What I needed to check was the Xylo. Was glad to find that it had company for the night. Chumbi Bhutia's Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSI was rolled up by its side.

IMG_0475.jpg

Today we were to visit the village of Sillery which is at a height of 6,000 ft plus. It is 6 km up hill from Pedong town and this 6 km I was given to understand was again on no proper roads.

My decision to visit Sillery was taken the previous night while sitting in the machan. A lady called Dippannita, who have thr own travel portals and travel services, in Kolkata had had an interaction with me a month back about this place. So I had called her up from Reshi to fix up the Sillery. Why I am mentioning her name is that I was continuosly guided and my stay monitored for better services by her through the host of the home stay in Sillery.

Distance between Reshi and Sillery was only 22 km, so we took it easy and set ourselves a 10 am target. And it was a rare occasion when I met the target which was as it is pretty late in the day.

Before that got hot water to take a thorough scrub and went down to check how thorough a scrub the Xylo needed.

IMG_0482.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg

It needed a thorough wash and Sonam the staff of the hotel volunteered to do it with the waters of the River. Tipped him an additional Rs 50 for it.

Next we needed breakfast and I got hungry and waited impatiently at the dining hall.

IMG_0492.jpg

Breakfast was good and wholesome. Poori Bhaji with boiled eggs and tea. We were satisfied. And ready to leave

IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

The other group (they were 8 not 6 which I had thought the previous evening) which had come was also leaving that day, but in the opposite direction to Zuluk. They had hired a Mahindra Maxx which was also waiting around the time we were leaving. So both Mahindras were to roll out together.

IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg

Last edited:

Excellent thread buddy, already rated 5 stars to this thread[thumbsup].

Thread Starter #44

Excellent thread buddy, already rated 5 stars to this thread[thumbsup].
Thanks Akash. Its inspiring..

Here is a video of us crossing the river once again to climb back to the main road. The Maxx was ahead of us but wanted the Xylo to go ahead and let it pass just before crossing the river.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBVhFCbaKM

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45

Kazi Tamang was to be our host for the night in Sillery. He was told by Dipannita from Kolkata that two guests will come in their own car and he was to meet them in Pedong and take them to Sillery. Dipannita even forwarded me Kazi's mobile no.

Just before leaving Reshi, I had called him and he said he would come down to Pedong to receive us. That was quite a hospitality I thought and thanked Dipannita for that. Chumbi Bhutia of Reshi's cottage also said he knew Kazi and his home. He asked us to give a call in case of any issues.

We were on our way and here is a longish video of our way to Pedong from Reshi.

Reshi to Pedong - YouTube

Top Bottom