Kolkata - Chandipur - Puri - Maiden trip on the Xylo

Thread Starter #16
We were to leave Puri on the third day and come back the same route with a halt in Chandipur. Got up early and took my son down to the beach to check on the fishermen's life.

It was a whole fishmarket on the beach with variety of fish being sold at dirt cheap prices. Thr were arrangements of the fish being cut and dressed on the beach itself.

Attachments

Thread Starter #18
Nice travelogue chandra.tempting me to make a road trip to north east part of our beautiful country.keep it coming.
Thanx...

Orissa is actually east and not north east. But do let me know of any place you want to visit in East and North East. Will advice you accordingly. And yes it is beautiful.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Last year we friends too wanted to go Puri in our car but couldn't succeed cause no one in my group own an SUV and no one wanted to take their sedan or hatch.

Thread Starter #20
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Last year we friends too wanted to go Puri in our car but couldn't succeed cause no one in my group own an SUV and no one wanted to take their sedan or hatch.
Hi Amit, The roads are so smooth a sedan or a hatch will probably go better on this stretch. So if you plan go ahead with them.

In the pre Atal Behari Vajpayee days when highways never used to be these what we see now, I had taken my M800. So take your hatch / sedan. It will be a great trip. Let me know if you need any info.

Have been travelling so could not post my concluding part of the story. Will try to do it over the weekend.

Its really good to know that highways are smooth and stress free. Will surely plan a trip next year in March April to Puri once I get the delivery of my new Verna.

Thread Starter #22
Sorry for the break in my story. Got very busy this week.

The return journey commenced as usual late than what we planned. It was about 10 when we finally got to check out. Had some packed breakfast, so that we do not need to stop in between.

The road upto Cuttack was very congested. The 60 km stretch between Puri to Bhubaneshwar took us an hour and a half, while the 30 odd km from Bhubaneshwar to Cuttack was an hour.

On the way to Bhubaneshwar to Cuttack for the first time came accross a petrol pump (IBP pump) which actually refused us to use their toilet because we are not refuelling from them. Since we had a whole lot of options and other pumps did not wait to argue with them.

Cuttack onwards the Xylo once again started hitting the 100k/hr plus speeds. We sped to Jajpur where we found a roadside eatery and had a fantastic lunch. The hoardings of the hotel really attracted me though I hardly wanted to taste the offerings that were on display.

Reached Chandipur by 3.30 pm in time to find the high tide setting in

Attachments

Thread Starter #24
The next day was the last day and the home stretch. For a change did not have any statrting time in mind. So no question of getting late. The Xylo got a thorough was and so did my son.

We detoured 5 km to the confluence of the river Budi balam. It has a historical significance as the famous freedom fighter Bagha Jatin had an encounter with the British soldiers and had paid the price with his life.

History apart this confluence is a fishing hub and was dotted with the ocean going trawlers. Never had seen ice crushers before and they were in operation here on the banks of the river too.

Left the confluence at around 11 am and had a uninterrupted stretch upto Kolkaghat and Uluberia before breaking for lunch. And then on back to home by 5 pm.

Attachments

Thread Starter #25
The Xylo enjoyed it too. Here are some parting shots of Puri and Chandipur.

The distance covered were0k / hr

Day 1 - Kolkata-Kolaghat-Belda-Jaleshwar-Rupsa-Balasore 262 km
Day 1 - Balasore Chadipur 14 km
Day 2 - Chandipur-Balasore-Jajpur-Cuttack-Bhubaneshwar 220km
Day 2 - Bhubaneshwar-Piple-Puri (Hotel)64 km
Day 3 - Within Puri 36 km
Day 4 - Puri-Bhubaneshwar-Cuttack-Jajpur-Balasore-Chandipur 283km
Day 5 - Chandipur-Balasore-Jaleshwar-Kolkaghat-Kolkata286km

Ave mileage given 12.6 km with dual AC in full blast

Top speed attained 130k/hr

Ave speed including stoppage time 60 k/hr

Attachments

Thread Starter #26
Thanx to all for having the patience to bear with the T/L for so long.

The Xylo gets a well deserved rest and readies itself for the next trip...... Planned a Village stay in the might himalayan heights of Sikkim in Dec 2011 / April 2012.

Will fill in the details once I do it.

Till then guys... DRIVE SAFELY

Gentlemen,
I shall visit a place named Satkosia (in Orissa) later next week, when my daughter's school closes for the winter vacation. And I shall take the NH 60 from Kharagpur and plan to proceed almost up to Cuttack by NH 5. Although I have driven to Puri by this road earlier during the hours of the day, this time I wish to leave my home in Calcutta at night. And considering my route is a part of GQ and is a divided four lane road, driving at night should not be difficult. This way it will ensure that I shall reach outskirts of Cuttack at dawn, before I branch off to NH 42, a road unknown to me.

Although my Tata Indigo car (Petrol-MPFI) is six year old already, I take very good care of her and she is still in excellent condition. Just this year during summer I took her to Sikkim and she performed beyond my expectation.

Now, the question I am going to ask is this, considering myself to be the only driver in my car and is being accompanied by my wife and eleven year old daughter, will the journey be safe at night? I have heard that there are stretches of road in Orissa which is not safe at the middle of night due to the naxalite problems.

Please post your opinions friends, as I am planning to schedule my journey as per your suggestions.

Thread Starter #28
Gentlemen,
I shall visit a place named Satkosia (in Orissa) later next week, when my daughter's school closes for the winter vacation. And I shall take the NH 60 from Kharagpur and plan to proceed almost up to Cuttack by NH 5. Although I have driven to Puri by this road earlier during the hours of the day, this time I wish to leave my home in Calcutta at night. And considering my route is a part of GQ and is a divided four lane road, driving at night should not be difficult. This way it will ensure that I shall reach outskirts of Cuttack at dawn, before I branch off to NH 42, a road unknown to me.

Although my Tata Indigo car (Petrol-MPFI) is six year old already, I take very good care of her and she is still in excellent condition. Just this year during summer I took her to Sikkim and she performed beyond my expectation.

Now, the question I am going to ask is this, considering myself to be the only driver in my car and is being accompanied by my wife and eleven year old daughter, will the journey be safe at night? I have heard that there are stretches of road in Orissa which is not safe at the middle of night due to the naxalite problems.

Please post your opinions friends, as I am planning to schedule my journey as per your suggestions.
Where is Satkosia. Is this on the way to Paradip?

As far as night driving is concerned would advise you to avoid it. The road is very safe. I took a VOLVO bus last week from BBSR to Kolkata and found full traffic on way in the mid of night. The Naxalite / dacoit areas are on the NH 6 post Kharagpur (Lodhasuli / Baharagora) and not on this route. But they are nearby and you are travelling not with friends but with wife / daughter. So avoid if possible as I have faced lot of adverse situations during night in some otherwise pretty safe and cool roads like Hill Cart Road of Darjeeling.

BTW why don't you pen a TL on your Sikkim trip. Planning to go in Feb / Mar. Would be useful.

Where is Satkosia. Is this on the way to Paradip?

BTW why don't you pen a TL on your Sikkim trip. Planning to go in Feb / Mar. Would be useful.
Hallo,
Please read this abut Satkosia:-
Satkosia Tiger Reserve - Angul, Orissa,India
I guess this link may also be helpful:-
Satkosia Gorge Sanctuary - Interests
This place is near Angul town, in the Angul district of Orissa. Although the road via Bahragora and Jamsola (NH 6) yields lesser distance, the road is bad and it is entirely an undivided road. I have decided to take the NH 60 from Kharagpur and then NH 5, to reach almost up to Cuttack. From there NH 42 on the right goes all the way up to Angul town.
And I hope NH34 will be in good shape for your journey to Sikkim. Currently it is in a shambles. It is better to have a overnight break in Siliguri and then proceed towards Sikkim. The road from Siliguri to Gangtok was good when I visited there in the summer. And direction boards are always there to guide you on your way.

Last edited:
Hello Chandranath,

Your posts are really interesting.

I was looking for a picture of a "Rocky Beige" xylo and seems like the one you have could be it. Can you please let me know the colour of your xylo?

Have you had any problems due to this colour? e.g. can't be patched up easily, repair parts, e.g. mirror, take long time to come (non std colour).

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Top Bottom