Kol - Vizag - Kol New Year Run

Thread Starter #1
Let’s start with a true conversation between me and my wife during a routine chore
Wife – How much is the EMI for this car?
Me- Almost 10k, why do you ask?
W- No, I remembered it, but we should have saved for Aashi’s school admission.
Me- but the car is also important.
W- yeah!! Since we are spending so much on it.. why don’t we use it to the fullest

The idea for a roadtrip was itched at that very moment. Over the days the destination was decided.
While wife loves the sea and I love the hills, the only place where both are available in plenty is Visakhapatnam. Vizag has been a real hit for road trips due to the lovely road condition right from Kolkata to Vizag.
Few of my friends from R.O.A.D group were also planning the trip almost at the same time. Though our itinerary didn’t match on dates, the plan was made similar.
Having finalized on the location, the detailed itinerary was chalked out
As our daughter is 2 yrs old, all the plan was made keeping the breaks for her feed in mind. Also, I being the solo driver didn’t want to drive in the night , so the night halts were planned.
Discussed the plan with my friend and fellow ROAD member Joydeep, who owns a travel agency Shree Ram Travels. The minor modifications were done and the plan was set.
(Joydeep made the bookings of the hotels, so my only job was to drive to the destination for the day)

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Kol-Vizag-Kol New Year Run

Day 01: 31.12.2017
We started at 05:15, 15 mins before schedule and in 15 mins were cruising on NH16 . Reached KGP at 07:15 only to find all the dhaba’s google suggested are closed. Found the first open dhaba after the KGP=Balasore toll tax . Had a heavy breakfast comprising of aloo parantha , curd , tea . We started from Narayangarh at 08:30 .
Reached Cuttack at 13:00 ( 45 mins before plan- thanks to the awesome tarmac of NH 16 & low traffic on a Sunday Early morning). Had our lunch at Ashoka Hotel, tanked up and surprise surprise . Petrol is cheaper by Rs. 3 in Odisha. With a happy feeling started for Berhumpore at 14:30 hrs. Stopped at Chilika View Point for a quick photo session and hit the road again.
Reached Brahmapur at 18:30 as scheduled, checked in at the hotel Shankar Bhavan and called it a day.
A few pics of the day

Attachments

Thread Starter #3

Day 2-01.01.2018
A day planned for relaxed driving , for only 250 odd kms . Started from Brahmapur at 09:30 after having breakfast and soon hit the NH16 . Crossed on to Andra Pradesh and continued non-stop till 13:00 . With Vizag just 50 kms away, decided to halt for lunch at an inconspicuous joint Hotel Aparna in Bhogpuram. Filled our tummies and left for Vizag.
By the way, Andhra Pradesh the speed limits are to be very seriously taken in their notified black zones. Found it the hard way after getting penalized for driving at 88 kmph in a 70kmph zone.
Reached Vizag and checked in at Treebo MVP Grand. Had a small birthday celebration at the hotel , then headed out to check out the RK Beach and try some local delicacies .
Came back to the hotel and called it a day.
A few pics from the day

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

Day 3 – 02.01.2018
A day kept for Vizag City tour. A lot has already been written so I won’t be elaborate. We visited Kailasagiri, INS Kurusera .
Only thing noteworthy from that day, wanted to go to Yerada Beach, but wasn’t aware of the route. Google Map actually makes you get inside a defense area. We were barred from going ahead. Turned back and took the other route through thickly populated village and then quite a steep climb up a hill , which I guess was Dolphin’s nose hill. The sun went down while we were climbing. The locals at the top of the hill discouraged us from going any further because by the time we would reach, it would be dark and nothing to see. Returned back disappointed!!
Spent the evening strolling down the RK Beach road

Attachments

Thread Starter #5

Day 4- 03.01.2018
Woke up at 07:00 and was ready to hit the road by 08:30, but had to wait for breakfast till 09:00. Started for Borra Caves & Araku 09:30 in the morning. Last Evening’s tryst google maps made me ask for directions , although the road is straight , yet with no sign board on the expressway, I stopped a couple of times just to reconfirm the road. Once I reached Simhchallam , there is only one road so more stopping for directions. Hit the hills and had to take multiple stops as wife started having motion sickness.
Reached Borra Caves around 12:30. Decided to have lunch ( famous bamboo chicken) and then visit the caves.
Stayed at the cave for 2 hrs. Although the lighting inside the cave made it look mystical, but somehow my personal opinion is that the colour is toomuch to my liking.
From Borra Caves, drove directly to Araku Valley and checked in at Haritha Resort.
Note: The tribal museum in Araku closes at 19:00 not 21:00 as stated by Google. When we reached at 19:30 the museum was already closed

A few pics

Attachments

Thread Starter #6

Day 5- 04.01.2018
Started for Rushikonda at 09:30 after having lunch. After numberous photo and souvenir breaks, reached Rushikonda at 13:30. Checked in at Haritha Beach resort and went straight to the beach .
Rushikonda beach was a surprise, it is very clean, the water was crystal clear. I could see my feet from almost knee deep water. We had a nice bath session in the beach and returned to the hotel at 16:00 hrs.
In the evening , took a drive along the beach road to RK Beach. We had our share of sea food & chicken 65 at Kamat’s .
Returned to the hotel bidding adieu to the beautiful and clean city of Vizag.

Day 6- 05.01.2018

Started for Bhubaneshwar at 10:30 from Rushikonda, Had our lunch at Dawat restaurant in SriKakulam . Reached Bhubaneshwar at 19:00 hrs

Day 7- 06.01.2018

Started from BBSR at 10:00. Had lunch at Bhojan Restaurant in Balasore . Stopped at KGP to meet a cousin staying there. Reached Home at 20:30 markiing the closure to this small but beautiful trip

Attachments

Wonderfully narrated, I guess I need to write about my trip too.. but alas you have it all covered up..[frustration].

Welcome to TAI Daipayan. Glad to see you here.

Well written and nice pictures.

Will show you a better way of uploading the pictures next when we meet. You can actually narrate the pictures individually rather than narrate first and put the pics in que later.

Once again great write up and superb pictures

Wonderfully narrated TL Daipayan Da. Enjoyed reading it. Lovely Photographs as well. Looking forward to many more such Travelogues from you.

Wonderfully narrated, I guess I need to write about my trip too.. but alas you have it all covered up..[frustration].
Debashish, shrug of your laziness and don't give excuse of not writing because of this travelogue [:)]. No 2 Travelogues will be the same. So please get going and upload your log and pictures.

We are waiting.

Beautiful Travelogue DAIPAYANC.
I LIKED YOUR DETAILED PRE PLANNED ITINERARY[:)]
makes the trip peaceful and less hectic.

Top Bottom