Kinetic Honda Conversion To EV

Thread Starter #1
Hero Electric moderate-speed electric bikes cost around 50K (after subsidy). I have a Kinetic Honda lying around and was thinking I can possibly get it converted to electric at half the price and with better specs. And own a zero emission vehicle.

Have done a fair bit of reading into EV conversions but I'm a novice when it comes to mechanicals of the scooter. I would like to know if it's mechanically feasible to convert a Kinetic Honda into an EV.

I'm considering to source most components from electric autorickshaws, use some from e-bikes in the market and get the conversion done by a local mechanic. Haven't spoken with any yet though. Wanted to sound off experts on this forum if it can be done.

Motor [48v, 800 W motor (1200 W peak)], controller (with speed limit removed), BMS, throttle and other parts from e-ricks or ebikes. Parts estimate depending on battery capacity ranges from Rs.16,900 (30 Ah) / Rs.22,220 (56 Ah) / Rs.25,000 (96 Ah). Capacity Reference - Hero Electric's 800 W bikes have 48v 33Ah battery

Legality isn't an issue. I've learnt that electric conversions are supported by the NGT (National Green Tribunal).

My question is: will the mechanicals of the scooter allow pairing of a motor to replace the engine. Which components will have to go?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Soul Food, this is awesome idea!.
i'm hooked to this thread and let me see what I can find to help you.

Firstly, you need a high performance Electric motor. A decent battery back and Charge controller.
About the components, you will of course have to remove the Engine, Fuel Tank and Gearbox. These things will liberate space for motor & battery. Charge controller can be fixed underseat. The Throttle control will have to be adjusted in handlebar.

bhvm

Honoured Member
BHVM, your enthusiasm is contagious. Do you have experience with electric conversions?
I have an experience with HHO (alpha hydroxyl) but not electric vehicle directly. I do have decent experience about Electricals & Solar stuff. there's a Guy in south India who runs his gypsy Purely on Electric & Solar.

it's better if you start talking to suppliers about good torquey DC motor & lots of lithium batteries.

Thread Starter #6
Yes, I've seen that electric Gypsy video. Choice of Gypsy for the conversion is perfect - light weight, with lots of space to store batteries and you can buy a used one for pretty little. That'll be my second conversion one day. :)

This one is meant to be an inexpensive first build with e-rick / e-bike components and deep-cycle lead acid batteries. Not surprisingly, the biggest cost component are the batteries. Amptek appears to be a decent maker of SMF batteries for e-bikes. Considering their 24 ah and 33 ah models. Will need four of these to make a 48v pack.

Prices of industrial SMF batteries (used in UPS) are pretty less compared to those made by Amptek for ebikes. I'm wondering if there's any real difference. Talking to manufacturers has not been helpful. Would you have a clue?

What is HHO / hydroxy. Did a cursory search but couldn't find out.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Only practical difference I've seen is a big one.
UPS battery tends to Puff out (Swell) & Fail If exposed to 14.8v or above. On the Other hand, dedicated EV batteries are good till 15v. That 0.2v is a big difference considering the harsh EV environment where quick charge is essential.

HHO is 5th class science. You offer electric power to split water into Hydrogen & Oxygen. Both are excellent for burning as supplementary fuel in engine & Making it more efficient as well as powerful. Its the safety thats not so simple here.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks. HHO seems interesting and somewhat controversial topic. Saw your instructables. Neat. I might go for the headlight mod too.

BHVM, your knowledge of electricals will be a big help when I sit down to do the build. Just collecting info from vendors now. Going to be offline for a few days from tomorrow.

PS: Do you know any source (preferably indian) for a controller with regen braking feature? Golden motors, China is out of my budget. The motor is 800W continuous and the standard controllers they sell - called 18 tube controller, then there's a slightly more expensive 24 tube controller - do not have regen. Even e-bikes by Hero Electric do not have regen.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I got an offbeat Idea.
Get the Integrated Starter-Generator used in Ciaz SVHS. If that system is cheap & Runs properly on 12v, You're all sorted.

Thread Starter #12
Thanks Bhvm but the (e-rick) motor I'm considering is about half the price and twice the wattage of the one you linked. I was actually looking for controller that would permit regenerative braking, - i.e, save energy while you brake (like Delhi metro does). With a regen controller you get to increase the range 10-20% (metro saves over 30% energy with regen but then it brakes so often). Anyway, now I think it's best to go with the stock controller that comes with these motors for reliability and durability.

Back from travel, will visit a mechanic shortly to check about help with conversion.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I think regenerative doesn't depend on controller alone. you need a fast charger & a Battery pack that can withstand huge pulses of charging (as you drive in city). I guess that's only possible in electronically & thermal monitored lithium banks like Toyota Prius or Tesla roadster.

if you try to recharge regular SLA in huge pulse, it May blow up!

anyways,if there's similar pricing between regenerative controller, one may as well buy that. and keep it off till better Battery pack is available.

Thread Starter #14
Controller's function is to control the motor. It's the BMS (battery management system) that controls charging of batteries. Both these devices are largely independent of each other. Regenerative breaking is all about controller and has nothing to do with BMS. This is EV 101.

Top Bottom