Kimi Raikkonen back in F1

Thread Starter #1
Courtesy : Zigwheels.com

After weeks of speculation about Kimi Raikkonen’s come back into the sport, the 2007 champion will finally return to the sport with Lotus-Renault GP in 2012. The Finnish driver was last seen in the 2009 season and since then he has been part of various motorsport action like the World Rally Championship and NASCAR. Raikkonen has now signed a two-year deal with Lotus-Renault GP.

“I’m delighted to be coming back to Formula One after a two-year break, and I’m grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can’t deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming,” said the 32-year old.

The Finn made his F1 debut in 2001 with Sauber. Immediately after his debut season, he was picked up by McLaren and was racing Woking based tem for five years and finished twice as runner up in the drivers’ championship. He then shifted to Ferrari with whom he won the 2007 championship but agreed to make way for Fernando Alonso in 2009 even though his contract was valid for the 2010 season as well. During his time in Formula 1 he was one of the highest paid racers on the grid.

“Kimi’s decision to come back to Formula One with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion,” said Gerard Lopez, chairman of Genii Capital.

The Iceman’s was also in talks with Williams as a team with which he will make his comeback into the sport but he chose the Enstone based team over Williams, who haven’t had a very impressive 2011 season.

Raikkonen's two-year deal with Lotus-Renault not only puts Nick Heidfeld seat in the team doubtful but also raises questions about whether Vitaly Petrov or Bruno Senna will fill the second seat of the team. Renault ended the 2011 season with a final fifth place in the constructors’ championship four points ahead of sixth-placed Sahara Force India squad. The team will be renamed Lotus-Renault GP from the 2012 season.

Really nice news, good to see him back.

Lotus Renault GP is pleased to announce that Kimi Räikkönen will race for the team next season. The 2007 World Champion, who left Formula 1 at the end of 2009 to pursue a career in rallying, has decided to make a comeback at the pinnacle of single-seater racing. He has now signed a two-year agreement with Lotus Renault GP.

Kimi’s F1 roll of honour includes 18 wins, 62 podiums and 16 pole positions. This experience and success is sure to help the team make a step forward next year. The 32-year-old Finn’s commitment indeed makes for a vote of confidence in Lotus Renault GP, demonstrating the team’s determination and new philosophy for the seasons ahead.

Kimi Räikkönen: “I’m delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I’m grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can’t deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming. It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team’s ambition. Now I’m looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid.”

Gérard Lopez, Genii Capital, Chairman: “All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we’ve been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level. Kimi’s decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I’d like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1.”
Source:Kimi Räikkönen back in F1 with LRGP in 2012

Attachments

really mindblowing news. i willl start to watch F1 again just because of now two of my most favorite drivers, MSC and Kimi will be driving side by side!!!

Its always a delight for me to watch this guy driving, ever since this guy quit I stopped following F1. Now once again I would want this guy back to his winning ways! He was awesome with McLaren which is my favorite team, I hope he lives up to his reputation in Lotus GP as well. Good Luck KIMI

Last edited:
Welcome back Kimi. Ice man is back !! Hope his return wont be a disappointing one like MSC !! Am sure this will bring back few lost audience to F1 again.

With Kimi back it will be 6 Champions in the grid at the same time. I think this might be a record in itself.

But despite his speed, I doubt how good a car Lotus can provide him. When Kimi left F1, he was very clear that he would either race in a competetive car or not race at all. Guess him being beaten black and blue by Sebastian Loeb in WRC must have made him reconsider his earlier stand.

Thread Starter #10
With Mercedez ,Schumacher is not able to compete with Vettel , Alonso,Button .....Think what will Kimi will do in a Lotus car.

Thread Starter #11
The 2007 World Champion has recently clocked 300 kms in a Renault R30 on test duty. The car is running in 2012 specifications and Kimi will be seen doing more laps of the circuit at Valencia.

Top Bottom