Keeping Your Car Parked Safely For Long Duration

Yeah my friend who disconnected his battery from his Verna said his ECU got reset which affected his FE. He was getting around 13-15kmpl in city and now he is only getting only 10kmpl. This is what he said , i don know how far this is true! Maybe we are going a bit OT!

Thread Starter #17
I don't think ECU will behave differently. Yes ECU will get reset and sometime its good to reset it anyway. In case any issue, as dhaya mentioned, visit A.S.S.

I don't think ECU will behave differently. Yes ECU will get reset and sometime its good to reset it anyway. In case any issue, as dhaya mentioned, visit A.S.S.
Hey RSM this doesn't seems to be true.
My Scorpio had drained battery completely as my bro had switched on the light inside for the whole day.
But i didnt feel any change in ECU .
Nor in pickup or mileage

Precautions to Take While Leaving the Car Parked for Long

I have bought the recently introduced Volkswagen Vento and am happy with the car so far. I should be out of station for 30 - 40 days and i would like to know:
1) Can i simply lock the car and go or does the car needs to be started at least once every week? I am hoping with new cars this would not be necessary!
2) If I do not use my car for 30-40 days - would I have to jump start my car on my return?

All suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Quick Car Question

First and foremost, disconnect the battery. I would also recommend you to get the car serviced(oils changed or if the oils are new, service isnt required) and get the oils changed. Also make sure you dont leave the tank empty. Atleast keep a quater tank full. In case of empty or scanty fuel, the particles tend to enter the fuel line which often leads to undesirable after effects. DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR WITH EMPTY TANK.

A good waxing prior to your departure will add extra durability to the paint job. It wont let dust and other particles settle on the body. Cover it with a good quality car cover to prevent accumulation of dust and other environmental abuse.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Precautions to Take While Leaving the Car Parked for Long

1) Can i simply lock the car and go or does the car needs to be started at least once every week? I am hoping with new cars this would not be necessary!
This is not required. But if there’s someone else at your home, it will be better to ask them to drive or switch on the car at least once in a week.

2) If I do not use my car for 30-40 days - would I have to jump start my car on my return?
As others suggested, Please disconnect both the battery terminals. Additionally, you should leave the car parked in a safe location and keep the oil and fuel levels atleast partially filled, if not completely topped up. Please feel free to ask more questions, if you have any. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

^^^ agree totally.

I might add that while parking, make sure to pull the parking brake, and also put the vento in the 1st or the Reverse speed.

Cheers.

Thanks, all for the suggestions. Valuable indeed. There will be no one at home so the car would not be started for atleast 20-25 days.
I have gated covered parking so safety is not an issue.
I also did speak with the VW service advisor and he also said since the vehicle and battery is new - it should not be a problem. Worse case scenario - I would have to jump start the battery on my return if the car does not start. But, that, I think should be a piece of cake for VW.

Leaving the car for 2 months-Tips

Folks,
I forgot and tried to search a similar thread where people had put advices on what to do if the car is going to be left for sometime.
I have been away from the forum for a week now as the office has been very busy and this weekend i am flying out of india, hence can someone please guide me on what things should i do so that the car has a good time standing by for couple of months and when i am back, i dont have any issues.
you timely help would be appreciated.

Moderators, if you could suggest a forum where i can post this up, please let me know!

Thread Starter #28
Re: Leaving the car for 2 months-Tips

2 things from side -
- Disconnect the -ve battery connetion.
- Don't put handbrake for long time. Put the car in gear.

I don think modern cars need jump starting even if started after a month under normal conditions.

+1 to all the above suggestions made by various people.

But one correction to Kingpin's statement- I have read that its not advisable to engage your handbrake if your car is going to be kept unused for a long time. If your car stands at a slope with the bonnet facing uphill engage the car in first gear.

My addition don park the car in direct sunlight even if its under cover!

Top Bottom