JLR Kick Starts Development of Smallest SUV

Thread Starter #1
JLR starts work on smallest SUV for EM foray - CNBC-TV18
Tata Motors -owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has now started work on developing what would be the smallest sports utility vehicle (SUV) from the company till date. The proposed model is being developed in the UK.

Sources say the proposed SUV will focus on emerging markets like China and India, reports CNBC-TV18's Ronojoy Banerjee, quoting sources.

Sources indicate that the proposed SUV is going to have an engine capacity of around 2-litre and in comparison to the 2.2-litre diesel engine of the Evoque, one of the smaller SUVs from Range Rover, it will be the smallest vehicle to rollout from the company till date.

The strategy behind the development of the model is due to the critical role emerging markets have begun to play in the sales trajectory of JLR over the past few years with China becoming JLR's largest overseas market.

The new SUV model will allow the company to make inroads into the Middle-East where it has recently signed a Letter of Intent with the government of Saudi Arabia and enter Brazil along with the domestic market allowing Indians access to a brand like JLR.

Sources add that a select few Tata Motors engineers are working on the project in the United Kingdom. The other areas of collaboration between JLR and Tata Motors include the hybridisation of vehicles.

JLR has officially announced that it is setting up an engine plant at Wolverhampton but declined to mention the capacity of the engines that will be rolled out from the plant.
[clap][clap][clap]

Re: JLR starts work on smallest SUV for EM foray

Would love to see platform sharing between JLR and TML in the near future.Hope they hasten the launch process.

Thread Starter #3
Re: JLR starts work on smallest SUV for EM foray

Yes I want to see really high synergies between JLR and TATA. Its the only way forward.
I always believed there is a huge gap between the two brands. But Landrover can be easily asssociated with Tata(not RR brand).
Hope this happens very fast[;)]

Thread Starter #4
No other news available in the net about this other than that available in CNBC TV18.
They seem pretty confident with their report but no solid confirmation yet..[frustration]

Tata motors & land Rover working on new small SUV

Land Rover has started work on a new entry-level SUV, according to recent reports on Indian TV. CNBC-TV said that the new model would be aimed primarily at ‘emerging markets’ such as India and China.

Although the engineering work is taking place in the UK, a number of Tata engineers are said to be involved in the project. The car was described as the ‘smallest’ SUV yet from the company, and that it would have an engine of ‘around a 2.0-litre’ capacity.

This project may well be the “white space product”described earlier this year by Land Rover design boss Gerry McGovern. He told Autocar that the vehicle would help push Land Rover into new markets. There’s no news on how it might look, but the DC100 concept could provide inspiration.

This future model may also be built in India and use components which are substantially sourced from India. Reports in the UK press today quote a source as saying JLR is ‘actively exploring the possibility of building cars from scratch in India’.

It would make sense that a new entry-level model, designed primarily to break into emerging markets, would be made locally. Indeed, JLR is thought to be planning to build a copy of its new Wolverhampton engine factory in India.

The model could also be the basis of a three-way co-operation with owners Tata and Chinese partners Chery. The same basic platform and running gear could be used to underpin cheaper Tata and Chery SUVs, while the Land Rover version could be plusher and more upmarket.

However, if Land Rover is pushing for serious volume growth, it could also re-export the car to Europe, where the market for entry-level SUVs is booming. Certainly, Land Rover and its dealers would benefit from a compact model priced against upper-end versions of the Mk3 Mini, whose line up is expected to include a proper SUV..

IMAGE -DC100 concept

Source
Land Rover plots entry-level model | Autocar

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Tata motors & land Rover working on new small SUV

Front looks okay to me but if this is how the new one looks than i don't think it would become popular. See how the spare tire is blocking the view at the rear windshield.

Also i guess that such a big tire won't look good hanging on the rear of car if seen from back.

Front looks okay to me but if this is how the new one looks than i don't think it would become popular. See how the spare tire is blocking the view at the rear windshield.

Also i guess that such a big tire won't look good hanging on the rear of car if seen from back.
This is just a defender concept bro . And the articles says the new suv " may" take design cues from the defender concept .

@RAJA,

Is this the latest news. As per my GYAN, LandRover has decided to build the next gen defender using Aluminium Monocoque construction. Which in my opinion will be too costly for TATA.

As far as chinese partners Cherry are concerned, I doubt they will be involved in designing process. They are a partner to build LRs in china (it is essential as per chinese law).

CORRECT ME, IF WRONG.

@RAJA,

Is this the latest news. As per my GYAN, LandRover has decided to build the next gen defender using Aluminium Monocoque construction. Which in my opinion will be too costly for TATA.

As far as chinese partners Cherry are concerned, I doubt they will be involved in designing process. They are a partner to build LRs in china (it is essential as per chinese law).

CORRECT ME, IF WRONG.
The article is published in march 2013.

Wrt cherry ,I dont think they will be involved in design but china being a big market for JLR their consultation maybe considered concerning the chineese market dynamics.

The idea I think is devlope a platform , the plusher version gets the landrover branding the cheaper one gets Tata branding . Something similar to what VW does using same platform and even at times engines across the brands they own .

Xover might be able to shed some light on this because being a fan of Tata motors he follows closely latest devlopments of the company .

Thread Starter #10
Still no confirmation on this matter. Defender is slated for 2015 launch. Also Jaguar crossover which will be built on the 3 series rival platform is also confirmed.Smallest SUV from LR portfolio is a good news.But it will be only in the "utilitarian" segment.So it can be easily branded as a Tata.[:)]

Still no confirmation on this matter. Defender is slated for 2015 launch. Also Jaguar crossover which will be built on the 3 series rival platform is also confirmed.Smallest SUV from LR portfolio is a good news.But it will be only in the "utilitarian" segment.So it can be easily branded as a Tata.[:)]
Yes , no concrete news but I read on other forums that the new sumo is in making in a 4x4 version which will take a lot of design clues from the defender .

Ah !! This news makes me very happy that my dream of owning one Rover may become true once LR comes out with a entry level SUV. LR please keep it under 20L[;)]

Ah !! This news makes me very happy that my dream of owning one Rover may become true once LR comes out with a entry level SUV. LR please keep it under 20L[;)]
No JLR car can come under 20 lakhs. They will never bring the brand down so much. Entry level SUV means in range of Audi q3 and BMW x1

Thread Starter #14
JLR effect in "avatars"...!!!!!!!! [;)]

Entry level means it will come under the Freelander. So I think the Freelander will go upmarket, something similar which is going to happen to the XK. By the arrival of the dazzling F-Type, XK can shed the "sports car" tag and can do the job as the ultimate Jag GT with luxury extravaganza...!!!!! XK will become the flagship offering from the Jag..!! [:)]

Now, Tata's alliance is still in question but the news of LR working on entry level SUV cannot be false. LR has a brand image less than the Rangie and so they can easily go downmarket for an entry level offering...[:)]

What if tata brings something which is inspired styling wise from the pic below to battle it out with thar and the force Gurkha ?

Attachments

Top Bottom