"Jerks" While Shifting Gears in Ford Figo

Thread Starter #91
Metro Ford advices to replace them, yet I can't trust them blindly as the same SA blamed it on gearbox bedding last time for the same issues.

Will discuss with another dealer & decide.
I got acquainted with a Senior Service Engineer from Ford India, when he visited the dealers in Bangalore and happened to attend my vehicle for the low mileage issue.

Spoke to him on the clutch issue for an advice. He said, Clutch can be suspected for such an issue. However, replacing Flywheel isn't found to be necessary unless it's worn or damaged too or maybe a worst case scenario.

On the other hand, he isn't suspecting Fuel Filter for the Acceleration / Deceleration jerks and again points it to Clutch.

@Figoian I see you struggle with your ride past one year. I am glad that I sold my Figo when I smelled some trouble getting started. Good Luck

Thread Starter #93
@Figoian I see you struggle with your ride past one year. I am glad that I sold my Figo when I smelled some trouble getting started. Good Luck
Thanks for the demotivation buddy [:)]

Well, all are just machines & can give up anytime. Not sure if MS or another brand vehicle can live forever without any issues. I personally know, my friend's Wagon R gave up the clutch in just 3K KMs.I don't believe in running away from these issues as they are inevitable. Good luck to you too.

Thanks for the demotivation buddy [:)]

Well, all are just machines & can give up anytime. Not sure if MS or another brand vehicle can live forever without any issues. I personally know, my friend's Wagon R gave up the clutch in just 3K KMs.I don't believe in running away from these issues as they are inevitable. Good luck to you too.
Ohh did I sound like demotivation I am sorry for that. of course all cars are machines and MS is no exception from it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #97
Can anyone else explain what is Overhauling and how it's different from replacing the clutch?
Checking all components and replacing the damaged ones with new parts. When you get a new clutch, you get a, well, new clutch, i.e. the old clutch is junked and a new one is plonked in.
Quoting our discussion from another thread.

So, in my case, can I ask them to open up the clutch and check it thoroughly for any issues other than replacing the clutch assembly, or keep that as the final decision? In that case, what else can be checked and possibly can be faulty? Clutch Release Bearing, Clutch Release Lever, etc.? I am thinking of those as the issue is in releasing the clutch and hardness in the pedal.

BTW, I hear a "tick" sound while releasing the clutch, at the last moment of release. Any thoughts?

Thread Starter #98
Update - Visited Lathangi Ford last weekend just for a second opinion. I know, they have pretty worst reviews, but just for another opinion. Moreover, the other two dealerships are Cauvery Ford, which out of reachable limits and Elite Ford, which is worser than any - based on my personal experience.

A friend mine, another Figoian took me there as he gets it serviced from there. The SA drove my car and acknowledged the issue. He too said, it could be clutch and will know the issue exactly once it's opened. Clutch Assembly is about 11K + 2-3K Labour! If Flywheel to be replaced too, then another 3-4K.

I asked him to hook it up to IDS to check on something. He said, sure sir, but it's lunch time, come back after 2 PM. No wonder why they are abused! He didn't even bother to turnout a visitor to customer.

Yesterday, I visited Bosch in Kasturi Nagar and explained them the issue. Two engineers drove it back to back and came up with the same response. One of them showed me the shuddering in the 1st gear with slight release of clutch (which I always experience). One of them said, the flywheel could have unevenly worn and that creates a friction when it's in contact with the clutch. But when I told him that, I have this issue since ever the car was new and every time I reported this issue, FASS did nothing than bleeding the clutch. He said, it could be a faulty part then! Wasn't this am I screaming from the beginning?!

Both of them agreed that the clutch isn't worn at all and good to run, on the cost of this jerky drive. He said, it's a funny issue that you may have to replace something that's not worn. But if not, people sitting in the car may think you don't know how to drive! Well, he just read my mind!!!

He also said, the Acceleration / Deceleration jerks can be due to clogged Fuel Filter, but can't surely say now as the clutch is having the other issue.

BTW, the issue that FASS took nearly 3 yrs to acknowledge, Bosch did it in just 5 mins. The way they test drove in different patterns itself clearly shows their knowledge and eagerness to diagnose the issue.

Here is my plan - Carryout 60K service next month as it would replace both Air Filter and Fuel Filter. If Acceleration / Deceleration jerks disappears with that, then postpone the Clutch Replacement for some more time.

In addition, I have to replace Brake Pads, FL Suspension, Ball Joint & Link Rods. So too much for now.

One of them showed me the shuddering in the 1st gear with slight release of clutch (which I always experience). .
At times I also have this in my car and when I contacted MASS for this, then they said I am not realising the clutch properly and accelerating more. I observed this my self and corrected my driving style. This is simple as for the new age diesel engines we just need to engage into 1st and release the clutch without accelerating in the beginning[:)]

Even I have heard that Bosch does a good job, hope they fix your problem soon

Thread Starter #100
At times I also have this in my car and when I contacted MASS for this, then they said I am not realising the clutch properly and accelerating more. I observed this my self and corrected my driving style. This is simple as for the new age diesel engines we just need to engage into 1st and release the clutch without accelerating in the beginning[:)]

Even I have heard that Bosch does a good job, hope they fix your problem soon
RK - I agree that the low end torque is enormous in Diesels to pull even without acceleration. But that shudder was without acceleration! Which means, it's struggling as the shudder is between clutch and flywheel when the clutch transmits the power from the engine.

I won't get this done from Bosch as it's a major repair. Just went their for an opinion outside of Ford.

. This is simple as for the new age diesel engines we just need to engage into 1st and release the clutch without accelerating in the beginning[:)]
Sir, Even my petrol car starts just on releasing clutch. Since the front space is narrow before my parking place,I had to hold brake slightly (to control its high pick up) to bring my car on to road.

Thread Starter #102
Done with 60K service last week. Replaced Air Filter, Fuel Filter, AC Filter, Oil Filter and Engine Oil as a part of service schedule. Additionally, Front Brake Pads too as it's completely worn, and few other suspension related accessories such as Both Front Struts (One was leaking and other was having some delay in release), Steering Ball Joints & Link Rods due to play, Both Tie Rod Ends due to leakage. Had a hefty bill :( Yet, rear suspensions are due as the vehicle is still rocking side to side.

The jerk with acceleration / deceleration is yet persistent despite changing the Fuel Filter. So, the cause is different. In between, a clinking sound started from under hood, probably right side and the SM is suspecting Drive Shaft Ball Joint for the same. The ball joint alone can't be replaced, rather the entire Drive Shaft assembly, which comes to about 11K. He suggested an option of replacing half shaft which is about 4.5K. However, as per him, the jerk with acceleration/deceleration is possible with the bad Drive Shaft and suggesting me to go with full assembly.

I am going to get second opinion from another FASS or Outside, before any such replacement. What's your take on it?

Thread Starter #104
The jerk with acceleration / deceleration is yet persistent despite changing the Fuel Filter. So, the cause is different.
As the issue is never ceasing, met with the GM of Metro Ford last Saturday. He took a test drive with me and also spoke to the technician. The same technician had tested my car earlier as well. He suggested to check on the clutch as he had faced couple of other cars with the same issue and was arrested by inspecting the clutch.

So, they asked me to drop the car on Thursday to open up the clutch and check for any issues. As I too was suspecting clutch from the very beginning, agreed for the same. Let's see how it works!

Thread Starter #105
As the issue is never ceasing, met with the GM of Metro Ford last Saturday. He took a test drive with me and also spoke to the technician. The same technician had tested my car earlier as well. He suggested to check on the clutch as he had faced couple of other cars with the same issue and was arrested by inspecting the clutch.

So, they asked me to drop the car on Thursday to open up the clutch and check for any issues. As I too was suspecting clutch from the very beginning, agreed for the same. Let's see how it works!
Done with one of the major works. Clutch Replaced! Yup it's early, but better than I expected it to last for. From the beginning, I suspected the clutch and have been reporting the jerk issue from very first service which was at 2500 KMs. It's finally the culprit, shot down after 67K KMs...

They opened up the clutch assembly yesterday and found it to be faulty. Moreover, it's almost worn, but can probably last for another 10K KMs.

Car looks reborn now. New clutch ah... The gear shift jerk is arrested, obviously, it's a new clutch. Gear Shift is butter smooth, which is again obvious. Can feel the improved Torque delivery and the pick up / power delivery is linear. Happy with it.

Acceleration / Deceleration Jerk is minimized, yet not completely gone. But definitely better and not as irritating as before. Let me wait, watch and do some highway drives for the final verdict.

Total damage to pocket = 7,237 + Tax (Clutch Assembly, Slave Cylinder & Labor). Luckily the prices seemed to have reduced now as the Clutch Assembly alone was quoted for 12K+ few months ago.

Top Bottom