"Jerks" While Shifting Gears in Ford Figo

I tried it last evening and this morning. 1st to 2nd is as usual, but 2nd to 3rd, revving to 40 KMPH crosses 2K mark and probably 2200-2300. Likewise on other gears too.
Sorry i didnt get you clearly, did you find jerks even with following this particular habit ? is the jerk consistent or just for a few seconds when you accelerate after upshifting ?

Are you coming from a petrol car? How long have you been owning this car ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #77
Sorry i didnt get you clearly, did you find jerks even with following this particular habit ? is the jerk consistent or just for a few seconds when you accelerate after upshifting ?
Yes, it still jerks. And what I mentioned earlier was, if I revv up to 40 KMPH for 3rd gear (as you suggested), it's exceeding 2K RPM.

The jerks I experience is two ways. One, when I release the clutch after shifting; Two, when I press the accelerator and take the foot off too, both ways. If I revv more than 2K RPM for gear shift, the jerk on clutch release is much lesser compared to otherwise.

Are you coming from a petrol car?
I get your point [:D] Absolutely not, I always have been a Diesel Head and even learnt driving in diesel cars like Amby, Indica & Innova. Actually, I feel uncomfortable to drive petrol cars due to less torque availability in low ends.

How long have you been owning this car ?
3 Yrs & 1 Mth - 58K KMs.

Update - Given the car for check up. A senior technician and I went for a test drive and I explained him the issues. He did felt it and tried it another car too. Though the difference was evident to me, he tried saying it's almost same in both cars. I denied him and explained the differences. He then said will check on "Bedding Alignment". I am not sure what it is... Any idea?

Will get the car back in the evening. Will update then.

[:)]
There could only be two problems really, either something is wrong in the car or something is wrong in the way you do things (the way you use clutch/accelerator and shift).

The second part is easier to solve just by keeping an eye on your habits very very minutely and try and adapt/change do things differently. You need to keep an eye on how you do things and pinpoint observations, it needs minute assessment.

Now assuming the problem is not at all the second part but there is something wrong in the car, there are a dozen items and i can give you names of all those components, again that is not going to help, dismantling the whole car is not the solution.

I suggest you start with the fuel system, diesel filter & injectors particularly. Your problem is unless you are very descriptive and minute in your observation, diagnosing it online is purely on interpretation. Even fill up diesel from an authorised pump, you will need to do specific experiments to get down to where your problem lies, else its a wild goose chase.

Please elaborate this as well, explaining what speed, rpm and gear you were in

Two, when I press the accelerator and take the foot off too

Thread Starter #79
There could only be two problems really, either something is wrong in the car or something is wrong in the way you do things (the way you use clutch/accelerator and shift).
Agreed. I am not a pro, so bound to make mistake and maybe not even knowing about it. But what makes me wonder is, why not the same issue occur when I drive other cars? I have tried it in my friends' Etios, Vista, Xylo, Innova, Fiesta, Punto, Jetta, and... Even Figo! All Diesels. Again, the irony is, whenever I reported this issue to FASS, they always have bled the clutch and gave me back and it had ran smooth for few weeks or say 1000+ KMs without any jerk. Worth to mention, my driving style was never altered in those cases.

I suggest you start with the fuel system, diesel filter & injectors particularly. Your problem is unless you are very descriptive and minute in your observation, diagnosing it online is purely on interpretation. Even fill up diesel from an authorised pump, you will need to do specific experiments to get down to where your problem lies, else its a wild goose chase.
I too suspect the fuel system for Accelerator Jerks. Though I have told them to look in to that perspective, I am damn sure they won't, but come back and say "Allz well".

Two, when I press the accelerator and take the foot off too, both ways.
Please elaborate this as well, explaining what speed, rpm and gear you were in
It occurs in all gears/speed. As I mentioned earlier, even at highway speeds... When cruising at 80 and take the foot off and press again, it jerks! Both times!! However light I do!!! Again, not the case in other cars including Figo.

I too suspect the fuel system for Accelerator Jerks. Though I have told them to look in to that perspective, I am damn sure they won't, but come back and say "Allz well".

It occurs in all gears/speed. As I mentioned earlier, even at highway speeds... When cruising at 80 and take the foot off and press again, it jerks! Both times!! However light I do!!! Again, not the case in other cars including Figo.
Get the fuel system checked first then! Make sure you fuel up only in bunks you fully trust(change your current one anyways). Use some good fuel injector cleaners, do an italian tuneup under load. I think garage guys are simply messing you about, find someone else.

@Figoian

If you don't mind, try giving the car to one of your friend/fellow TAI member in Bangalore and take his feed back and see what they say about it !!

Thread Starter #82
Update - Just got a call from the SA. Seems, they have checked the Engine Mounts, Gear Bedding Mounts etc. and all found to be normal. They are suspecting Clutch Plates and Flywheel Assembly to be triggering these issues and the only option is to replace them. Damage to pocket - About 12K [frustration] However, he said, the clutch is fine otherwise and if you can ignore this Jerk issue, you can run it for another 30-40K KMs.

He wasn't positive about Fuel Injectors or Filter but said, in case of such issues, IDS will show error codes. So, they haven't checked it otherwise. Moreover, I doubt they have any Flow Test Method for checking / cleaning injectors.

So, I asked him not to proceed for any replacement right now, as I can wait and monitor for some more time or a different dealer.

BTW, I was feeling hardness in the suspension and have asked them to check. Seems, the Front Left Ball Joint & Link Rods on both sides have some play and one of the front left suspension has a leak. This could be a normal wear. Damage to pocket - About 10K [frustration]. Again, they aren't a concern for safety or immediate attention.

Thread Starter #83
@Figoian

If you don't mind, try giving the car to one of your friend/fellow TAI member in Bangalore and take his feed back and see what they say about it !!
RK - If I am have been having this issue for all these years, imagine how many would have tried it too... Couple of my friends have tried and gave me the same feedback. Also, our Senior Members & Experts in TAI like AR Ram & SS80 have tried their hands on it and gave the same feedback.

BTW, had a small meet with AppU yesterday and he too tried it. He too felt the same. I would ask him to update the thread with his feedback.

PS: Unfortunately, my friends and TAI members are quicker to identify the issue than FASS.

Last edited:
BTW, had a small meet with AppU yesterday and he too tried it. He too felt the same. I would ask him to update the thread with his feedback.

PS: Unfortunately, my friends and TAI members are quicker to identify the issue than FASS.
As Figoian said, Myself, Figoian and Pradeep_wheelz had a small meet at Vellore yesterday. During the meet, Figoian asked me to drive his Figo and asked whether I'm feeling anything different while releasing the clutch.

For first few meters, I changed the gear in higher RPM(2000+RPM). During that time, I didn't felt any difference in Clutch. but while shifting the gears in normal RPM(1500-2000rpm), I felt some jerk while releasing the clutch. everyone in the car can feel the Jerk fully.

The Jerk is severe in Third Gear and in 2nd and 4th gear, the jerk is less when come to 3rd gear.

The feel was like, the clutch didn't released properly that take a Sec. delay to release the clutch after taking the leg fully from the clutch.

It clearly says the problem with clutch. And It will be horrible to drive the car in Bangalore traffic. I don't know how Figoian driving the car in city with that condition.

I suggested him to check with another FASS to get the clear idea on this. Otherwise the only option is changing the clutch and have to see the result.

Guess, you wanted to say 5th Gear :)

BTW, how about the jerk on Acceleration / Deceleration? We thought it may be a bad fuel filter than clutch rather?

Ahh, it is TYPO I was about to say "When compare to 3rd Gear".

And the jerk on Acceleration / Deceleration is due to Fuel filter I guess. As I we discussed, the Fuel filter could be the issue. Because I have faced same kind of Jerks on my previous Black Indica. I used to press clutch to reduce the jerks.

I feel clutch issue is different from the accelerator issue. because we are facing the jerk while releasing the clutch.

During the next service, change the Fuel filter and will see how it works. Otherwise come to Vellore, we will discuss at Sarvesh Ford and get some idea before doing anything.

Last edited:
I am a novice here, but suggest you may try this: Once you revved the engine to requisite RPM and shifted the gear (shift to neutral - wait for 2 secs - shift to next gear), wait for 3 - 4 seconds (or count slowly) and then try to release the clutch bit slowly than normal release speek. Not sure if you will find any jerks. This will require some patience.

Thread Starter #88
I am a novice here, but suggest you may try this: Once you revved the engine to requisite RPM and shifted the gear (shift to neutral - wait for 2 secs - shift to next gear), wait for 3 - 4 seconds (or count slowly) and then try to release the clutch bit slowly than normal release speek. Not sure if you will find any jerks. This will require some patience.
Have tried it too Srinivas. But it isn't practically possible. Moreover, it's not the normal way of driving, isn't it?

PS: Unfortunately, my friends and TAI members are quicker to identify the issue than FASS
[lol]This really made my day buddy !!

After reading your and our other members explanation I fully doubt on the clutch plates. Please visit a different FASS and check it up OR even you can try checking it with a good known mechanic too.

Thread Starter #90
[lol]This really made my day buddy !!

After reading your and our other members explanation I fully doubt on the clutch plates. Please visit a different FASS and check it up OR even you can try checking it with a good known mechanic too.
Metro Ford advices to replace them, yet I can't trust them blindly as the same SA blamed it on gearbox bedding last time for the same issues.

Will discuss with another dealer & decide.

Last edited:

Top Bottom