"Jerks" While Shifting Gears in Ford Figo

Thread Starter #61
Well, to be honest the first thing i looked at is the brand FORD. Since my younger days i always dreamt of owning a FORD car, which however didnt happen till now due to budgetory problems. Then offcourse for its best value for money pricing.

Apart from the above i liked the spacious interiors (compared to other hatch backs), easy maneuverability, coolest A/C and offcourse for its comfort.
Well, all the points you considered were best to match you with Figo. So, your decision is perfect. The other contenders would be Punto & Vista probably.

However during my test drive it didnt took off well in 2nd gear i.e whenver i changed gear from 1st to 2nd the engine was almost coming to halt with some vibrations (changed the gear after around 1500rpm) and in slopes of our bangalore, it was almost impossible for me to go in 2nd gear and i was forced to downshift midway. When i asked sales executive about this, he informed me that it takes off well ONLY after 2000rpm [surprise] in 2nd gear (i.e when turbo takes over i feel, pls correct me if i m wrong) and i tried that, and offcourse he was right. so overall i was satisfied and booked the car without second thought as it was from my brand FORD.
Hahhahahaaa... A typical Car Sales Rep. with ZERO knowledge about the car. In Figo, turbo spools in at 1500 range and not 2000 and that's one of the reasons to make it Turbo Lag free machine (almost) along with the Linear power delivery in the lower RPMs.

Yes, as many would feel, 2nd Gear could be a dead gear, if not fed properly. If you are on right RPM with enough torque, then you would never feel the lag. Moreover, remember that Figo is the heaviest AC in the lot, which means, a lot of power drawn from the engine. So, 2nd Gear + AC + Fully Loaded, is not fun to try. But, if you manage the 1st gear well and upshift to 2nd at right RPM, then no problem at all.

BTW, you mentioned, you tried taking off from 2nd and the engine died. Yes, it will and mostly all diesel engines would, unless pretty consciously and tactically done.

But when i saw this thread along with your other thread regarding FE, doubts started to peek into my mind as i had also faced problems in the 2nd gear only which is the talking point in most of the threads of figo.
FE concern is specific to mine or few others, but not all. And you can clearly understand that I fighting it, so it's capable of delivering more. However, a reasonable expectation is 14-15 with AC in Bangalore City and about 17-18 in Highway with AC if driven sedately. I can safely guess that your sales guy would have told you 18 - 20 in City and 22-23 in Highway [lol]

If FE is your only concern or rather requirement, then you should go for any MS cars.

Hahhahahaaa... A typical Car Sales Rep. with ZERO knowledge about the car. In Figo, turbo spools in at 1500 range and not 2000 and that's one of the reasons to make it Turbo Lag free machine (almost) along with the Linear power delivery in the lower RPMs.
Is it? Thanks for the information.

Yes, as many would feel, 2nd Gear could be a dead gear, if not fed properly. If you are on right RPM with enough torque, then you would never feel the lag. Moreover, remember that Figo is the heaviest AC in the lot, which means, a lot of power drawn from the engine. So, 2nd Gear + AC + Fully Loaded, is not fun to try. But, if you manage the 1st gear well and upshift to 2nd at right RPM, then no problem at all.
Will definietely take your words and would try to upshift from 1st to 2nd rather carefully and watchfully (i have driven mostly petrol cars earlier and hence could not figure it out) when i get my new car or whenver gets the opportunity.
BTW, you mentioned, you tried taking off from 2nd and the engine died. Yes, it will and mostly all diesel engines would, unless pretty consciously and tactically done.
Got it.
FE concern is specific to mine or few others, but not all. And you can clearly understand that I fighting it, so it's capable of delivering more. However, a reasonable expectation is 14-15 with AC in Bangalore City and about 17-18 in Highway with AC if driven sedately. I can safely guess that your sales guy would have told you 18 - 20 in City and 22-23 in Highway [lol]

If FE is your only concern or rather requirement, then you should go for any MS cars.
Hahahahaha.. What a guess[clap]. yes you are perfectly right, the sales rep told me the samething about FE. But for highway he went on to add another km than yours i.e 24[lol]. FE would be concern only if it behaves as like in yours case, otherwise i'm pretty happy with my dream vehicle. Eagerly waiting to take the vehicle from cauvery ford on 09.10.13.

Thread Starter #63
Will definietely take your words and would try to upshift from 1st to 2nd rather carefully and watchfully (i have driven mostly petrol cars earlier and hence could not figure it out) when i get my new car or whenver gets the opportunity.
Oh yes, Petrol to Diesel, you must completely unlearn and relearn.

Hahahahaha.. What a guess. yes you are perfectly right, the sales rep told me the samething about FE. But for highway he went on to add another km than yours i.e 24. FE would be concern only if it behaves as like in yours case, otherwise i'm pretty happy with my dream vehicle. Eagerly waiting to take the vehicle from cauvery ford on 09.10.13.
Hahahahaaa... All Sales Rep. are same!

Of course, this is an excellent car to really feel the "Fun of Driving". Ford is always a "Driver's Car".

Just a suggestion, why don't you start an all new thread of "Buying Experience" and move these posts in to that? You can cover your desires to own a Ford Car, Test Drive & Dealership Experience, Delivery Process and the Arrival of New Car? Also, continue to keep that thread updating with various milestones etc.

Mods - Can you help him to create a new thread and move the recent posts (From Post No 58) in to the new thread? Thanks.

Thread Starter #64
Jerks While Accelerating / Decelerating

Guys - Need some inputs for my Figo TDCi clocking 58K.

I have been experiencing "Jerks" with both Acceleration & Deceleration - means, while pressing the accelerator and also while taking the foot off. Despite, however feather light I try. If I try extremely light, it shudders too. Moreover, I also feel the Torque Delivery isn't linear but inconsistent. Can feel too much of jerks or on/off torque at low ends.

Took it to Metro Ford last weekend and spoke to Murugan. He suggested the Technician to check the Clutch and Bleed it and they did so. But didn't solve the issue. Again, they connected to IDS and checked the Clutch Position Sensor and appears it's working well. They also updated the PCM. I was told, if not satisfied, will have to open the clutch assembly and check it further.

Thereafter, I am feeling a bit better, but not perfect yet. I still can feel the jerks, though the torque delivery is bit more linear than before.

What could the issue be? Is checking clutch appropriate for this issue? or anything else?

Note: This is in addition to the persisting issue which I have for long time on gear shifts (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...557-jerks-while-shifting-gears-ford-figo.html). Are they both could anyway be related too?

Subbu, this could be becuse of several reasons, one of which may well be the clutch. How long have you been experiencing these 'jerks'? When was the last time your car drove well without these 'jerks'?

Thread Starter #66
Subbu, this could be becuse of several reasons, one of which may well be the clutch. How long have you been experiencing these 'jerks'? When was the last time your car drove well without these 'jerks'?
Well, though I don't remember it exactly, it could be for more than 7-8 K KMs. I even raised it during last 50K service, but wasn't addressed.

BTW, I am not able to understand how clutch is involved in this issue. Would you be able to help me understand it better?

Simply put, the job of a clutch is to engage/disengage the engine and transmission smoothly. If there is something wrong with the clutch, the engagement/disengagement may not occur faultlessly which MAY lead to 'jerks'.

Did the service centre run OBD on your car? Did it give any error code? Did you fill fuel from a different fuel bunk anytime? Does the problem occur at higher rpms too?

Thread Starter #68
Simply put, the job of a clutch is to engage/disengage the engine and transmission smoothly. If there is something wrong with the clutch, the engagement/disengagement may not occur faultlessly which MAY lead to 'jerks'.
Got it. But my doubt was, that's during gear shifts right? Or even while running? I always have been doubting the clutch for the jerks I get while shifting the gear. But the jerks with acceleration and deceleration is what I don't understand.

Did the service centre run OBD on your car? Did it give any error code?
Yes. No error codes found and even the clutch position sensor is perfect. They even installed the PCM with latest updates.

Did you fill fuel from a different fuel bunk anytime?
Not really. I normally use either of the 2 IOC Pumps one near my home & and another near office.

Does the problem occur at higher rpms too?
Yes, the jerks are evident even on highway speeds.

Can you drive at a lower gear (higher rpm) than normal and report ?
ex:- if you drive at 30kmph in 3rd drive, do it in 2nd gear, you will use more fuel in the process but it might give us something more to decipher. Do you get jerks even when you are in constant speed, say 2nd gear 30kmph ?

Thread Starter #70
Can you drive at a lower gear (higher rpm) than normal and report ?
ex:- if you drive at 30kmph in 3rd drive, do it in 2nd gear, you will use more fuel in the process but it might give us something more to decipher. Do you get jerks even when you are in constant speed, say 2nd gear 30kmph ?
Yes IR, I can drive it lot more than the preferred RPM. Just yesterday, I did revv it more on all gears to clear out the soot, as a routine. I did up to 70-80 KMPH on 2nd and 100+ in 3rd & 4th gears. Nothing felt abnormal except for heavy revving noise and black smoke for the initial few secs, which I feel normal for that kind of driving.

At constant speed, yes. Sometimes it shudders too, if I am extremely light on the accelerator, so I need to step on a bit more.

Yes IR, I can drive it lot more than the preferred RPM. Just yesterday, I did revv it more on all gears to clear out the soot, as a routine. I did up to 70-80 KMPH on 2nd and 100+ in 3rd & 4th gears. Nothing felt abnormal except for heavy revving noise and black smoke for the initial few secs, which I feel normal for that kind of driving.

At constant speed, yes. Sometimes it shudders too, if I am extremely light on the accelerator, so I need to step on a bit more.
So if i understand this correctly, vehicle behaves fine when you are over revving or at a lower gear.
Can you share the speed/rpm at which you shift gears (all) ?

Thread Starter #72
So if i understand this correctly, vehicle behaves fine when you are over revving or at a lower gear.
The former is perfect. The gear shift is lot smoother and less jerky (not felt sometimes) when I shift it past 2200 RPM. Lower gears - If you mean driving at 1st, 2nd & 3rd, it's jerky and not smooth at all.

Can you share the speed/rpm at which you shift gears (all) ?
1st - 2nd - 1700-1800 RPM / 20 KMPH
2nd - 3rd - 1700-2000 RPM / 30 KMPH
3rd - 4th - 1700-2000 RPM / 40 - 45 KMPH
4th - 5th - 1700-2000 RPM / 60 - 65 KMPH

Overall, all gearshifts with RPM not exceeding 2K.

Can you try changing your habit for a day or 2 as below and report back ? I am assuming clutch is fully depressed at the time of shift - most experienced drivers inherently get this wrong with time. Always press the clutch from the front half of your foot fully.

It shouldnt jerk with what you mentioned above but neverthless try the below and reconfirm your observations

2nd - 3rd - 1700-2000 RPM / 40 KMPH
3rd - 4th - 1700-2000 RPM / 50 KMPH
4th - 5th - 1700-2000 RPM / 70 KMPH

Thread Starter #74
Can you try changing your habit for a day or 2 as below and report back ? I am assuming clutch is fully depressed at the time of shift - most experienced drivers inherently get this wrong with time. Always press the clutch from the front half of your foot fully.
Yes. It's fully depressed always and I use only the front part of the foot on pedals.

It shouldnt jerk with what you mentioned above but neverthless try the below and reconfirm your observations

Sure IR. Though I have tried all possible combinations, will again give it a try as you suggested and keep it posted.

Thread Starter #75

I tried it last evening and this morning. 1st to 2nd is as usual, but 2nd to 3rd, revving to 40 KMPH crosses 2K mark and probably 2200-2300. Likewise on other gears too.

I am visiting FASS tomorrow to have the clutch inspected. All I wanted to know, is it OK to open up the clutch and check, which is untouched yet? Or am I inviting any trouble? The reason is, I am sure even a well trained technician's work can never match the OE fitment. Secondly, here are the list of items I am going to ask them to check apart from clutch.
  1. Engine Mounts
  2. Gearbox Bedding
  3. PCM Data
  4. EGR Value
  5. Fuel Injection System / Injectors / Filter

Let me know are these fine and anything else is required.

Top Bottom