Jeep Renegade Compact SUV Spied Testing

Re: I spotted new car with camouflage

Wow, good job finding the registration details.
Here, as this is a test vehicle, and not owned by anyone in particular, I don't think there was a problem posting the plates. That in fact helped finding all the details. After all, the question was not a quiz question, but a genuine request to know the details.
There is a larger issue at play here. Check this thread
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ates-while-uploading-pictures.html#post552348

Re: I spotted new car with camouflage

Agreed. Thanks for bringing the loophole into picture. This is a big leak, and I hope the vaahan team notices it and fixes the same. The details you mentioned are enough to fetch the data from Digilocker.
This would enable anyone to have the copy of your RC with them, and even for stolen cars, they would be able to show the data using DigiLocker.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #33
Jeep Renegade to launch in India with 1.6-litre diesel engine

After the Jeep Compass, Jeep will bring in the Renegade to India. According to a report from Motor Octane, the company will offer it with a 1.6-litre diesel engine.

Previous reports had said that Jeep India will offer the Renegade with a 140 hp 2.0-litre diesel engine. Jeep is currently testing the Renegade with a 2.0-litre diesel engine in the country. The 1.6-litre diesel engine is more suitable given the specifications of chief rival Hyundai Creta, while also clearly differentiating it from the Compass.

The diesel engine in question is probably the 1.6-litre MultiJet II unit. The turbocharged four-cylinder mill produces 120 hp at 3,750 rpm and 320 Nm of torque at 1,750 rpm in the Jeep Renegade. Jeep was testing the Jeep Compass probably with this same engine in India recently. In addition to the 1.6-litre diesel engine, the Indian-spec Jeep Renegade may get the 1.4-litre MultiAir2 turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that develops 140 hp at 5,500 rpm and 230 Nm of torque at 1,750 rpm.

The Jeep Renegade will receive a facelift this year. India will directly get the facelifted Jeep Renegade, in the second half of 2018. Local production will take place at the Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra.

Jeep Renegade to launch in India with 1.6-litre diesel engine

After the Jeep Compass, Jeep will bring in the Renegade to India. According to a report from Motor Octane, the company will offer it with a 1.6-litre diesel engine.

Previous reports had said that Jeep India will offer the Renegade with a 140 hp 2.0-litre diesel engine. Jeep is currently testing the Renegade with a 2.0-litre diesel engine in the country. The 1.6-litre diesel engine is more suitable given the specifications of chief rival Hyundai Creta, while also clearly differentiating it from the Compass.

The diesel engine in question is probably the 1.6-litre MultiJet II unit. The turbocharged four-cylinder mill produces 120 hp at 3,750 rpm and 320 Nm of torque at 1,750 rpm in the Jeep Renegade. Jeep was testing the Jeep Compass probably with this same engine in India recently. In addition to the 1.6-litre diesel engine, the Indian-spec Jeep Renegade may get the 1.4-litre MultiAir2 turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that develops 140 hp at 5,500 rpm and 230 Nm of torque at 1,750 rpm.
I for one will be disappointed if the renegade comes with the 1.6 because this baby jeep is one heavy SUV weighing about 1580Kg and with just 120hp on tap it will never have the performance we would expect after paying 15-16 big ones considering the fact that the bhp/ton figures are more in nexon,brezza,ecosport territory rather than in creta, XUV territory.
I hope it has the 2.0 multijet in detunded form to have numbers to match the competitors.

The 1.6 in Jeep compass will make it more affordable. The 1.6 in Jeep Renegade should bring it in Creta territory.
There are few that can afford the 2.0 Multijet. If they want sales #s, they have to get the 1.6 here

I for one will be disappointed if the renegade comes with the 1.6 because this baby jeep is one heavy SUV weighing about 1580Kg and with just 120hp on tap it will never have the performance we would expect after paying 15-16 big ones considering the fact that the bhp/ton figures are more in nexon,brezza,ecosport territory rather than in creta, XUV territory.
I hope it has the 2.0 multijet in detunded form to have numbers to match the competitors.
With the 1.6 engine, there will be an equivalent reduction in the kerb weight as well. Also note that the car will likely have only a minimum quantum of airbags i.e 2 airbags and so will have lesser equipment weight to that extent.

Thread Starter #37
I for one will be disappointed if the renegade comes with the 1.6 because this baby jeep is one heavy SUV weighing about 1580Kg with just 120hp on tap it will never have the performance we would expect after paying 15-16 big ones considering the fact the bhp/ton figures are more in nexon,brezza,ecosport territory rather than in creta, XUV territory.
There is a possibility get multiple engine options 1.6L multijet, 2.0L multijet and 1.4L multiAir.

With the 1.6 engine, there will be an equivalent reduction in the kerb weight as well. Also note that the car will likely have only a minimum quantum of airbags i.e 2 airbags and so will have lesser equipment weight to that extent.
The reduction at best would be around 60-70kg only but at around 1500kg it is still heavy and the 1.6 just doesn't has the firepower just like the elantra carrying the same 1.6 as the verna where the verna has great firepower but elantra lacks it with same engine or like the tuv300 which even with a 100bhp engine doesn't have the same performance as the ecosport or nexon. My fear is that for sake of volumes jeep should not put a commuter engine in the renegade when half of the sales of compass are because of it's mighty 2.0 lit. engine.

The reduction at best would be around 60-70kg only but at around 1500kg it is still heavy and the 1.6 just doesn't has the firepower just like the elantra carrying the same 1.6 as the verna where the verna has great firepower but elantra lacks it with same engine or like the tuv300 which even with a 100bhp engine doesn't have the same performance as the ecosport or nexon. My fear is that for sake of volumes jeep should not put a commuter engine in the renegade when half of the sales of compass are because of it's mighty 2.0 lit. engine.
They are not discontinuing the 2.0 Multijet motor. Those that want the performance can pay for the 2.0 Multijet. There would be several takers for the 1.6 Multijet and it will definitely outsell the 2.0 Multijet. Only worry would be the huge amount of turbo lag in the 1.6 that the S-cross owners reported making it a pain for city driving

They are not discontinuing the 2.0 Multijet motor. Those that want the performance can pay for the 2.0 Multijet. There would be several takers for the 1.6 Multijet and it will definitely outsell the 2.0 Multijet. Only worry would be the huge amount of turbo lag in the 1.6 that the S-cross owners reported making it a pain for city driving
I guess Fiat will tune it better for themselves[:D]

Not sure which spec you are referring to. Quoting a link here:https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/jeep/renegade/16-multijet-longitude-5dr/spec
Shows the kerb weight for a 1.6 MJD at 1400 kgs. This is a 4m plus car. For India, they will perhaps keep it under 4m, so that much additional reduction, to around 1350 kg might happen. That is a fair number for the 1.6 to handle, especially if it is tuned to have better low-end torque for off road conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure which spec you are referring to. Quoting a link here:https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/jeep/renegade/16-multijet-longitude-5dr/spec
Shows the kerb weight for a 1.6 MJD at 1400 kgs. This is a 4m plus car. For India, they will perhaps keep it under 4m, so that much additional reduction, to around 1350 kg might happen. That is a fair number for the 1.6 to handle, especially if it is tuned to have better low-end torque for off road conditions.
First Renegade is from jeeps global line up and so it's not going to be chopped down to bring it under 4m rule and it's not a ecosport rival but a creta rival and there is some news that jeep might develop a car/compact SUV specifically to match our rules(but that is not renegade) secondly there is a difference in weight between different specs as well here the longitude version in two wheel drive guise weighs 1404kg whereas the whereas the trail hawk 4×4 tips the scale at 1602kg and the limited(top) variant weighs around 1480kg.
Note:-trail hawk is above the limited variant with bigger engine(2.4lit I-4 type)

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Jeep Renegade Compact SUV Launching In India Next Year

jeep-renegade-india-launch-images-front-three-quarters.jpg

Jeep India has been enduring consistent drop in sales over the last few months and it indicates that the brand definitely needs a new vehicle to push its volumes along in the long term. It has already been confirmed that a three-row Utility Vehicle and a subcompact SUV are in the works for India but their launch timelines appear to be a little far away.

Read:

Thread Starter #44
Jeep Renegade spied in India again as testing restarts

The Jeep Renegade is a B-SUV measuring more than 4,000 mm in length, and so, it would compete with the likes of Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos and Nissan Kicks in our market. Currently the smallest Jeep model worldwide, it uses FCA’s small-wide 4x4 architecture, a modified version of which has given us the Mk2 Jeep Compass.

Introduced in April 2014, the Mk1 Jeep Renegade is beyond halfway through its life. It was going to be released in India but the plan was cancelled eventually. The first-gen model will be skipped in our market. While FCA is maintaining utmost secrecy regarding the next-gen Jeep Renegade, we’re very confident that India will get it. Why the company is still testing the old model which it doesn’t plan to launch anymore is unknown.

jeep-renegade-front-quarters-spy-shot-india-829c.jpg

Source:IAB

Top Bottom