Jeep Fever - Buying Mahindra MM550 / MM540

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

My little brother has finally got his driving license . Seeing my fever he too is interested in jeep as we have gypsy already + little showoff in college

I am currently thinking of buy mm550 or 540 . Can anyone suggest me reliable petrol mpfi engine + gearbox can use as my little brother is also petrol head so not much interested in diesel .

First I had thought about using maruti boleno 1.6 + gypsy 5speed gearbox but someone told me jeep is heavy that engine won't be able to pull it properly :/

So thought asking jeep guru here

Re: jeep fever

The BEST and EASIEST-TO-FIT petrol engine for a MM550 is the Isuzu 1.8 along with its 5 speed gearbox. Mahindra had sold few MM550s fitted with ths engine in the mid 1990s. This engine is powerful, torquey and extremely reliable. Go for a MPFI version if you can find one (the present Ambassador Grand comes fitted with this engine). You are in New Delhi - you can easily get this engine at Mayapuri. Just take someone knowledgeable along with you. The price shall depend on the condition of the engine and your bargaining skills.

If i might suggest you, we have a MM540DP Stock this is a cherished one and when someone comes with such a idea i feel its my duty to tell you to not go with this transplant, i have many reason for this

As you are much aware being a gypsy owner, you would know what a petrol gypsy offers you can never be achieved to your full satisfaction when you do a engine transplant for MM540

The diesel is jeep's loved fuel not only for the torque it offers but for its endurance in real life situations

The pull capacity of the vehicle would drop significantly when you do this transplant, it can jump but it cannot drag 10 people up the hill

Availability of mechanics with good knowledge on the engine, you can find a mechanic for working on a diesel peugot engine the jeep has got, but not that easy to find one for the isuzu or chevy engine if you do the transplant

If there is a mismatch in some cross functional parts the jeep for its rough nature with the transplant would become totally unreliable

My piece of advise would be if you are quite specific for petrol, go for/search for Willys Petrol CJ4A Jeep its an amazing combo for a jeep and this petrol is real fun to drive, you can cherish it as a classic antique if you really get one and drools all over

Re: jeep fever

Hello everyone I am new to this thread and finally I am also about to get my first jeep. Decided for a mm550 xd ngcs but I ve heard that all mm550 have been swiped off mayapuri, is that true? If yes then please tell me where else can I get an army disposal jeep.
Regards
Ujjwal

Planning to buy a stock army auctioned mm550 jeep from mayapuri..

Hello all!
Yep the jeep bug bit me too, it all started when one of my friend got a mm540 restored for some election campaigning.
Searched here and there, finally heading to Mayapuri for army auctioned jeeps as it is the heaven for jeepers (all heard and said)
Would appreciate everyone's help on buying an mm550 plus all the technical terms as i am a newbie.

Top Bottom