Jeep Compass 4x4 Off-Road Experience @ Noida

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

A 2 day Off-Road Event is organised by Jeep India at G.I.P Mall in Noida to show how well can their new SUV, the Compass, can tackle all sorts of obstacles. When we talk of Off-Road experience, it is compulsory to have steep inclines, water wading, articulation, and descent among many other things. Having attended a number of Off-Road Events organized by many reputed brands earlier as well, I can easily say that this one by far was rather a very mild session. If I compare it to the Off-Road event of TATA Hexa, Or the Ford, Or Mercedes Benz, I would say, this one was just for visual enjoyment and very low on real off-road excitement honestly. When I got the SMS yesterday for the event, I passed it off thinking it was some display at the MALL. In the evening yesterday I rechecked the SMS and read it and there it was mentioned "Off-Road". I gave a good thought to recollect as to where in GIP Mall, Noida can one think of a Off-Road Adventure?? However, For the sake of it, I paid a visit there today. The foot fall for the Compass was good but not many went for 'Off-Road' Experience.

20170723_125125.jpg

Observations on Jeep Compass

20170723_124943.jpg

* Interiors are pretty OK but still can be much better in terms of appeal and in comparison to segment offerings.

* The ride is quite planted and braking is really impressive.

* No Nose Dive in straight line emergency braking.

* NVH is well controlled and cabin felt really silent.

* AC Unit worked sufficiently and the in-cabin cooling was good.

* 4x4 was equipped with Terrain Modes like Sand, Snow etc.

* The ICE display is reasonably good when reverse parking camera gets active.

* Upon corners, I did feel slight bit of body roll but that wasn't really a matter of concern as over all it was well balanced in terms of ride.

* The suspension to me felt quite good and well balanced. Over the obstacles, the feeling as a passenger was very assuring.

* Ingress and Egress are easy as well.

* At the venue, Test Drives were not provided to the guests since the Compass is not yet "Officially Launched"[lol].

* Key is pricing. FCA / Jeep can either make or break their fortunes with the Compass.

* Upon asking for the prices, I was told, "Sir delay in pricing is a corporate decision"

* Hexa or Compass: The better Off-Roader? Heart says HEXA!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Jeep India took inspiration from TATA I guess for organizing this 'Pre-Launch' Off-Road Event. The obstacles created were very similar to the Hexa Off-Road Events except 1 in which made this SUV rise to about 4ft. However, I really missed the water-wading in the Compass. I would say, the Off-Road opportunities during the media drive of Compass were much better than this experience. Let the pics do the rest.

20170723_124949.jpg

20170723_125311.jpg

20170723_125525.jpg

20170723_130152.jpg

20170723_130157.jpg

20170723_130217.jpg

Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member

bhvm

Honoured Member
This is not a real JEEP DNA vehicle is if it skips low range. Its just another soft-roader like Duster and XUV. Such obstacles can be really designed to showcase the product capability, but real test is in the jungle at mercy of mother nature.

kkn13

Suspended
Being a monocoque, I wouldnt expect much 4x4 capabilities out of this
That being said, doesnt make it a bad car whatsoever, just dont expect much off roading in this
Itll tackle bad roads etc easily though

@ Akash : Excellent and much detailed coverage. Rated the thread as 5 star.

I have seen better youtube videos of Compass off-roading capabilities. This seems more like a soft offroading to garner more traction.

Correctly said : The biggest hurdle is pricing which they are taking ages to reveal.

Regards,
Aks

Thread Starter #13

Akash1886

Honoured Member
This is not a real JEEP DNA vehicle....real test is in the jungle at mercy of mother nature.
+1 & 100% agreed.

Being a monocoque, I wouldnt expect much 4x4 capabilities out of this
That being said, doesnt make it a bad car whatsoever, just dont expect much off roading in this
Itll tackle bad roads etc easily though
Bad roads can be reasonably tackled in any Compact SUV with good GC and reasonable suspension setup. Moreover, If you have followed the media drive reviews of the Compass, in the pics which are there, Compass was taken to much better off-road tracks than this. In my view, the character of this SUV has been underplayed here by Jeep India. In case of a soft off-roader, Why would anyone not consider Avventura? The only thing that sets it apart is the 4x4 option in it. However, in these gimmicky off-road tracks, that 4x4 capability isn't put to full use.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have seen better youtube videos of Compass off-roading capabilities. This seems more like a soft offroading to garner more traction.

Correctly said : The biggest hurdle is pricing which they are taking ages to reveal.
Pricing is the key. People were more inclined to check the Compass out rather than experience it's driving abilities yesterday. Till I was there, just 5-6 groups were taken for the drive.

The 4x4 Drive Terrain Dial wasn't really of much use here instead it would have been better if Jeep India had conducted this Off-Road Experience in Bhandwari (Near Faridabad Gurgaon Road).

20170617_130221.jpg

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
The Jeep compass is quite well priced and there's a alternative to the Creta which is ruling the segment. Coming to the events itself the obstacles are quite lousy and I bet even a Alto can do it. But I think most showpiece off road events are similar so nothing surprising

Top Bottom