Itz time for chilling Out, My Trip to Munnar & Thekkady

Thread Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I made a recent trip to Munnar & Thekkady.

Will post the pictures & detailed snaps of my trip.

wow this would beintresting to read and see some superb pictures from Gods own country.Did you encountered with some jungle treks in thekkady and also with liches:-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
Okay.. I am not going to make you guys wait more than this.

Its actually a Five Day Trip.

Day1 - Morning -5.30AM

We started from Chennai. Climate was Ok.
I drove my Beauty to Fill up the Tank at Indian Oil, check the Tire Pressures and started racing & vrooming in NH45.

There are many routes to go to Thekkady, But i choosed Chennai - Trichy - Dindukal - Periyakulam - Theni - Kukili - Thekkady.

This is the most adventurous route of the rest :-)

It was around 9.30 AM & we felt hungry, so thought of stopping the Car & having Break Fast. As we bought Break Fast from home, it wasn't a long break. It was just for 15 mins & then I started vrooming again.

I was curious taking photos while driving & it turned worse. Even a second miss would have turned down to be a Disaster. I would have steered my Vehicle on to the Dividers of NH !!!

But the roads from Chennai to Villupuram is really worth the toll.

It was pretty startght roads & you can easliy cruise at 200Kmph.

But since it is my Family Trip, I maintained my limit to 150 in my i10!!

Now started Laning of roads from 2 Lanes to 6 Lane. NHD is seriously working all around from Villupuram to Trichy. I couldn't drive more than 60Kmph as the roads were toooo worse.

I started looking at my tires every now & then for punctures, Since had a Tubeless, & my beauty deserved everything. Saw many cars Punctured in the roads & then I felt like King & continued driving long way.

I saw a Sign board showing 20Kms for Trichy & I was Happy driving towards my destination. Now started the Twist in the Tale. There was a Huge Accident while Entering Trcihy & the whole road was Jammed for 6 Kms Strech. I have only two options.
One to wait in the Same Roads for Hours or to take a Huge Adventure!

I convinced my Parents & Opted for an Adventure. It was like Pure OFF-Roading.
There is a Bridge near Trichy which was Jammed We are down from ground Level of around 20 Feet. I could see a small path which takes to an Unconstrcuted NH but which is Very Very Steep. I can say in Mathematics like, it is more than 50 Degrees.

I kept in mind about Sebastin Leob & started Racing on to it with my First Gears Screaming! My beauty was able to take it up easily & it Suprised me!

We took the Unfinished Highway & reached Trichy by 1PM. It is again Time to Fuel my car.

We finfished off our Lunch & started from Trichy by 2.00PM. Now the Roads become Narrower & Narrower. Its just a two lane Road with no dividers.

So i drove at 80Kmph & FInally reached the Hills at 4.00PM in the Evening.
I was really a breezy cool ride & it was just topped up with drizzling!!

-------This is not the END of my Trip. Will Post you back other Info very Soon-------------

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Ok. We reached Thekkady around 4.30PM. Went to a resort & refreshed.

Then we enjoyed watching Kathakali Dance Shows & Kalari Fights.

It was around 8PM. So we boooked for Midnight Jungle Safari.

It was for Three Hours. They will give you a torch & take you in jeep & leave you in one end of the forest. You have to find the way yourself and reach other End.

It was real fun & adventure in the midnight with lot of insects & new creatures making sound. We encountered One elephant on the way. We finshed off the Safari by 12.00AM.

Day 2 :

We spent the full day in Thekkady Again.

Went to Periyar Wildlife Sanctury. It has a very big lake in the midst of Huge Jungle.

So we opted for a ride in it & was real fun.

Spotted Many Tigers, Elephants, Antelopes, Deers, Moose & Yak & lot more unknown Birds..

Spent the remaining day, visiting few places near by & for SHopping.

Day3:

Left from Thekkady by 10.00AM & reached Munnar by 1.30PM.

The roads are really small Only a Bus willl go & NO OVERTAKING.

Roads are really pathetic & couldn't drive more than 40km/h.

I can say the roads are more adventurous than OOTY. The hill is so steep & Climate was dipping to its maximum when we reached the Top.

We booked a resort in Munnar also & we stayed there.

As we are more tired thought of taking rest for some time & we left to a Botanical Garden. It was amazingly good & lot of varities & very rare species of flowers can be found there.

Day 4:

Its raining Tea everwhere! We visited Tea Estates & they explained about Tea Processing & packaging.

Then we went to a very beautiful lake which has Speed Boats.

We cruise at 100kmph or 150 Kmph on Road. Think cruising at 100Kmph in water. Wow!. unforgettable momments !! Really couldn't explain. You should experience it !

Then we went to echo point & Mattupatty Dam.

Day 5:

Since its Last Day of the Trip, we all are almost exhausted!

We visited few places like Echo Point, Surinalli, Top Station.

On the way to Theni, we have a National Park called Eravkulam National Park.

We visited that too!

Its now time to say Good Bye to God's Own Country & we left Munnar at 3 PM. And reached chennai by Next Day Morning 4.00 AM!

Thats all about my Trip to Munnar & Thekkady!

Attachments

Ok. We reached Thekkady around 4.30PM. Went to a resort & refreshed.

Then we enjoyed watching Kathakali Dance Shows & Kalari Fights.

It was around 8PM. So we boooked for Midnight Jungle Safari.

It was for Three Hours. They will give you a torch & take you in jeep & leave you in one end of the forest. You have to find the way yourself and reach other End.
yes this is absolute fun doing and adventerous, did you encountered lechees around your legs, they look so weird.We had to run for almost a KM while finding some wild elephants running behind us on that trekk.

It was real fun & adventure in the midnight with lot of insects & new creatures making sound. We encountered One elephant on the way. We finshed off the Safari by 12.00AM.

Day 2 :

We spent the full day in Thekkady Again.

Went to Periyar Wildlife Sanctury. It has a very big lake in the midst of Huge Jungle.

So we opted for a ride in it & was real fun.

Spotted Many Tigers, Elephants, Antelopes, Deers, Moose & Yak & lot more unknown Birds..
yeah thats what thekkedy is all about, huge lake surrounded bythis dense forest, were you able to cross the border of two states in that jungle?
Spent the remaining day, visiting few places near by & for SHopping.

Day 4:

Its raining Tea everwhere! We visited Tea Estates & they explained about Tea Processing & packaging.
along with some varieties of tea's one can imagine, with different fragence available, also you can see mushrooms garden on the sides of those tea estates where they are planted.
Then we went to a very beautiful lake which has Speed Boats.

We cruise at 100kmph or 150 Kmph on Road. Think cruising at 100Kmph in water. Wow!. unforgettable momments !! Really couldn't explain. You should experience it !
one of the best memorable part of our journey too, superb experience and chilling weather and you cruise at 100Kmph, a friend was shocked for quite a while after that cruise when those drivers take those bendings in that speed.
Then we went to echo point & Mattupatty Dam.
my part in bold, and yes congratulations on your wonderful trip and thankyou for sharing it with us which bring back some wonderful memories of my trip as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up zinam. I've been to munnar once, but not much sight seeing. But still with the limited places i visited, its a nice place for holiday. Green, green, every where and nice climate with good roads around munnar.

Zinam, Real cool snaps man!! Haven't been to Munnar / Thekkady, I certainly will after seeing the pics [:)]

Hey Zinam, Nice experience n cool snaps buddy.Traveling driving your own cars just adds a lot more to the fun[:)]

i have travelled before my marriage to these places and after zinam refreshed my memory i want to travel once again to GOD'S own country for sure.

Thread Starter #11
Yes guys!!

This is really a must visit place for every one & i would ask every one to drive in their vehicles as the roads are more thrilling & you will not forget this trip for ever !!

Arun

Suspended
Wowie! Awesome !! Nice Test drive review..uh..sorry, it's just that we're so used to it. [lol!]

Nicely written travelogue. Neat pics too!
Fully AC'ed trip? I hope you smelled the burnt rubber and also the sweet smell of nature! If you mind me asking, FE throughout the whole trip? How many people were in the car?

vroom, now that makes two of us! We'll plan something out! [;)]

EDIT: Did I ever tell you that I love your i10? :P

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Thanks Karthik & Arun!

My car was fully packed up with 5 adults & boot is fully loaded without even leaving a small gap :)

The overall FE was 14kmpl. 100% AC & Heater On, depending on Climatic Conditions.

I actually drove at 150+ almost for 350kms, & I wasn't concentrated on mileage as its my first trip!

napster

Suspended
Nice writeup zinam, If you dont mind, Can you psot info regarding the toll gates, their fares, Expenses in the trip and other details regarding hotels or resorts prices etc? ( This could help people to decide on where to stay according to their budget).

Top Bottom