Is Tata Motors Trying To Kill Safari Storme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #93
Good milage for such a small period.
Mine is now 34K Km @ 1.5 years.
We have done following long trips from Pune so far.
1. Khujuraho and bhedaghat
2. Leh Laddakh, Kshmir, Agra
3. Hampi, Madurai, Rameshwaram, Kodaicanal, Kanyakumari, Munnar, Mysore
4. Bhutan, North and East Sikkim, Bhubaneshwar, Puri, Konark and chilka Lake
4. Goa and Ganapatipule

Happy to see you visited Madurai which is my native place. I have done one Karnataka trip covering, Belur, Chikmagallur, Kodachadri, mullayanagiri and multiple trips to Madurai and down south. I am planning to do one Goa trip this year and Leh, Ladakh next year. But the amount of information and preparation required for Leh, Ladakh is daunting and I couldnt find like minded friends to acompany me the whole journey. Whenever I ask my friends for Leh trip on road, they ask "why to drive on car? we can go by air till Delhi and hire a cab"

By the way, please share some pics of your car

Thread Starter #95
Happy to see you visited Madurai which is my native place. I have done one Karnataka trip covering, Belur, Chikmagallur, Kodachadri, mullayanagiri and multiple trips to Madurai and down south. I am planning to do one Goa trip this year and Leh, Ladakh next year. But the amount of information and preparation required for Leh, Ladakh is daunting and I couldnt find like minded friends to acompany me the whole journey. Whenever I ask my friends for Leh trip on road, they ask "why to drive on car? we can go by air till Delhi and hire a cab"
I have seen such air flown people admitted to the hospital in Leh city itself. Forget Kardungla which is 17K feet higher.
While going to Nubra valley we saw young lady enjoying scenery with oxygen mask.

When you go in your car, esp. from Kashmir side, acclimatization is already completed. You don't need oxygen. Also road from Zoji La to Rohatang pass is utterly beautiful that you can enjoy only in your car. Period.

43171021220_b774141c90_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #98
Is there any chances that tata will wind up the manufacturing of storme after new norms(2020 emission norms)
In general all diesel cars in danger. Maruti and Tata stopping small car three pot diesel engines.
RWD/BOF SUV demand will never die in India. I saw in Sikkim no small cars, no petrol cars. That hilly region is so difficult that you need torque of diesel. Period.
Mahindra has recognised this. They are developing BS6 engine for Scorpio.
Remember Scorpio is selling twice that of XUV.

Storme is far superior than Scorpio. Hope TATA will provide BS6 engine to Storme. But then price will shoot up.

This is best time to purchase we don’t know what will happen tomorrow.

BOF SUVs serve their purpose well in Diesel only and this category of cars are selling above 15 lakhs so it makes sense for Tata to develop BS6 engines for Hexa and Storme. There is no commercial viability for <10 lakh cars to have BS6 engines unless they sell in huge volumes and with a premium of >2 lakhs compared with their petrol counterparts. So in the long run, I think small cars with diesel engines will extinct.

If Tata does upgrade Storme with some features (for those who buy cars for features) and redesign its external appearence (just to come out of "old model" perception) then i am sure Scorpio market will be killed. But then, there is the instant surge in power in Scorpio which is fundamentally different than Storme's Philosophy of gradual increase in power till the end. I dont know if the majority of drivers apperciate this. Let Storme be Storme for people like us!

I don't have many but this is recent.

View attachment 259923
Looks Awesome in the backdrop of snowy mountains! It seems as if Storme was born to rule this terrain.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #100
Looks Awesome in the backdrop of snowy mountains! It seems as if Storme was born to rule this terrain.
Zero point in north Sikkim.

BOF SUVs serve their purpose well in Diesel only and this category of cars are selling above 15 lakhs so it makes sense for Tata to develop BS6 engines for Hexa and Storme.
In some part of India there is little difference between petrol and diesel price.

Tomorrow if government decides to make diesel costlier than petrol then also big cars (SUV) don't have alternative other than diesel. It is not from cost point of view but from drivability point of view. So I think Tata should wakeup and start developing own diesel engine alternative for BS6 norms instead of depending upon fiat for the same.

BTW: What will happen to commercial sector (trucks) after 2020?

Last edited:
Zero point in north Sikkim.

In some part of India there is little difference between petrol and diesel price.

Tomorrow if government decides to make diesel costlier than petrol then also big cars (SUV) don't have alternative other than diesel. It is not from cost point of view but from drivability point of view. So I think Tata should wakeup and start developing own diesel engine alternative for BS6 norms instead of depending upon fiat for the same.

BTW: What will happen to commercial sector (trucks) after 2020?
BS6 norm is applicable to all vehicles- passenger and commercial. I guess its easier to modify bigger engines to comply with BS6 than a small engine- both mechanically and commercially.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I was in Gujarat last week. I can say that petrol is almost cheaper than Diesel already.
I guess its easier to modify bigger engines to comply with BS6 than a small engine- both mechanically and commercially.
One of my clients brought a Bharat Benz Truck.
It uses Ad-blue SCR exhuast treatment system. I guess these trucks are already BS-6 ready.

Thread Starter #103
From this news it appears that Mahindra has completed BS6 diesel engine design and now testing them. TATA has bigger R&D setup and that to from Telco days. It is surprising why Tata couldn't develop BS6 engine for Harrier.

Wakeup Tata, if Mahindra can do, surely you can do also.

TATA Harrier engine is BS6 reach which is sourced from FCA this engine already available Euro5 & 6 in overseas markets correct me if i was wrong, So tata will launch BS6 engines when BS6 fuel is available at gas stations.

Thread Starter #105
TATA Harrier engine is BS6 reach which is sourced from FCA this engine already available Euro5 & 6 in overseas markets correct me if i was wrong, So tata will launch BS6 engines when BS6 fuel is available at gas stations.
Point here is if Tata could develop his own BS6 engine, then cost will come down down and Harrier can become more competitive,

We all know Tata couldn't integrate this engine like Fiat did in Compass. There are multiple issues. When you design your own engine you can integrate it better. One of Hexa owner, who took test drive of Harrier found Hexa/Safari engine more silent and vibration free.

Anyway Tata has to develop BS6 engine for Nexon, Safari/Hexa then why not for Harrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom