Is It Difficult to Shift Gears with Different Patterns?

Thread Starter #1
hi guys...i was reading some reviews on net and magz and saw that polo has different gearshifting pattern..i think sports car kind. is it difficult to shift it. mean does it takes some time to get used or some skills are requied??

ok suppose if i drive normal car and drive polo which has reverse in place of first gear but am used to normal gears then wat? [confused]

dont have pics taking from TAI review!!

From the picture i see only normal shifting pattern for Polo except for reverse. I think one needs to press the gear lever and then shift like first gear to slot the reverse gear.

No skills required as such to shift gears. I have a Verna and Safari which has different pattern for reverse gears , i have not faced any problem. You will get used to the car you drive , so no worries buddy.

AFAIK there are three patterns for reverse gears. In my Safari and most of the other cars its the conventional pattern placed below the fifth gear.

For my Verna and TATA Sierra the gear lever has to pulled up to slot the reverse gear.

For Polo and other VW and Skoda cars the gear lever has to be pushed down to slot the reverse gear.

AFAIK no car in India has reverse gear in first gear slot , atleast all the modern cars now.

@umang: No special skills reqd.
The gear shifting pattern seems to be normal.

@ dhaya: The same shift pattern is there in i20.

The earlier Corsa Sail had the same pattern.

Its the Brand VW tech!

There is no difficulty in that, you will get used to it in few days.

Make sure you dont use any force when slotting first gear, else you will end up in reverse

@ Mukesh Yeah the i20 diesel must have this pattern since it has 6 gears. i20 petrol which my friend has is having normal reverse gear pattern.

350Z

Core Team
If I understand that correctly, OP is referring to such gearshift patterns (In Image). It’s not that difficult actually once you start using, and all about getting used to, which you will certainly get after a short while. Even Hyundai Sonata has similar pattern which has 6 gears.

gearshit pattern.PNG

Drive Safe,
350Z

Once somebody starts using, it will not be a big issue. But the above gear shift pattern could be bit confusing, specially when you are shifting to 1st gear.
The good thing is that either Reverse or First gear, we shift from stop.

Thread Starter #11
oh! thanks a lot for so many useful replies. i have never driven car with different patterns..so was worried how difficult it is to drive them!

Believe me whatever the pattern , you will get used to it in minutes!

When i TD the Jetta it had indicator controls in the leftside of the steering and wipers on the right side. I got used to it in 5 minutes of driving and then on i never mixed it up again!

Thread Starter #13
Believe me whatever the pattern , you will get used to it in minutes!

When i TD the Jetta it had indicator controls in the leftside of the steering and wipers on the right side. I got used to it in 5 minutes of driving and then on i never mixed it up again!
ya..but thing becomes different in gears. suppose if you have habit of putting first gear in front place but when you drive car with gear pattern which has rear gear in place of of first gear..big disaster can happen!

Hey AFAIK no car has reverse gear in first gear's place! The gear lever has to be either pulled up or pushed down first and then slotted like first gear , so now worries.

Top Bottom