Is it a Wise Decision to Part with My Beloved Lancer (Petrol)?

Thread Starter #1
Mates,

I am in crossroads where every(almost) petrol head gets stuck. I own a petrol lancer 2002 model run just 48k mint condition. My dad was using her and was taken care off very well. I was dreaming of having her for some more years but now the current as well as the future petrol price scenario is becoming a night mare for me [frustration]. I have drove her hardly 50 kms in the last month. I dont want her to lie this way and i also need a 4 wheeler at this point of time. I might not be able to afford more than 3 Lakhs since I am also paying my home loan emi's which means I am left with an preowned diesel car buying option . I have to literally part with her I guess. Pls help me with your suggestions.

Regards,
ZeeZ

It's an very unfortunate dilemma you are facing looking at thing's i guess you have no other option but to part away from your lancer, as it is really difficult to get a used diesel hatchback for under 3L.

If you are OK with CNG then don't part with Lancer and get the conversion done. Moreover, since it is well maintained and has just 48K on the ODO and Lancers don't command a good resale so you might loose a lot.

OT : Can you post a few pics of her.

freakdude.

Buddy that's a very unfortunate situation and the culprit is the petrol prices. Now looking at the petrol prices and the FE of Lancer, it's a wise decision to convert to a petrol. But as suggested by freakdude you can go for the CNG option.

Since Lancer does not have a good resale value you will loose money and getting a good diesel hatchback under 3 is bit difficult now days.

But if you can stretch your budget a little bit, i guess you should get a diesel hatch.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions .

It's an very unfortunate dilemma you are facing looking at thing's i guess you have no other option but to part away from your lancer, as it is really difficult to get a used diesel hatchback for under 3L.
Thats true visran. I was able to see only indica's(no offense meant) in hatch and some accent crdi's with a minimum of 60k on the ODO. I am yet to visit dealers .I am pretty sure they are going to only have costlier options.

If you are OK with CNG then don't part with Lancer and get the conversion done. Moreover, since it is well maintained and has just 48K on the ODO and Lancers don't command a good resale so you might loose a lot.

OT : Can you post a few pics of her.

freakdude.
freakdude, I live in Chennai and I have not heard about CNG here.Please correct me if I am wrong. The only other option in this case will be to live with her plonking a LPG kit. I am yet to do analysis on that . I am not sure how good LPG will be on lancer. Absolutely unknown territory. I will post some pics that I took 3 months back.

Buddy that's a very unfortunate situation and the culprit is the petrol prices. Now looking at the petrol prices and the FE of Lancer, it's a wise decision to convert to a petrol. But as suggested by freakdude you can go for the CNG option.

Since Lancer does not have a good resale value you will loose money and getting a good diesel hatchback under 3 is bit difficult now days.

But if you can stretch your budget a little bit, i guess you should get a diesel hatch.
Thanks singh890. CNG might not be an option in Chennai. Please correct me if I am wrong. The options that I have are accent crdi's (more than 60k on ODO for somewhere close to 2.5 L[confused]) or indicas, indigos. All these are like 3-6 years old. Older than that might not require engine work(just my guess that older diesel engines might need overhaul after 60-70k on the ODO).

Once again thanks a lot guys.

Thread Starter #6
Here are some pics that I found in my system.Will try to post some proper ones later. She is in absolute stock condition but for the tyres (upgraded to bridgestone tubeless) ,sun film and a pioneer cd /usb player. Dad does not like much gizmos or after market work. I loved the way she was.

Attachments

Definite heart vs mind debate. Believe me, finally the evil mind wins in most of the cases.
With a heavy heart I sold my NHC vtec and purchased a Linea MJD Emotion.

Coming to the point, LPG in lancer may be economic to some extent. But not sure when the price of LPG will shoot up. With a budget of around 3.5L you can get a 2006 Fiesta Diesel (but requires a hard hunt and lot of patience)

Thread Starter #8
Thanks singh890. CNG might not be an option in Chennai. Please correct me if I am wrong. The options that I have are accent crdi's (more than 60k on ODO for somewhere close to 2.5 L[confused]) or indicas, indigos. All these are like 3-6 years old. Older than that might not require engine work(just my guess that older diesel engines might need overhaul after 60-70k on the ODO).
There was type 'O' [embarass] I meant Older than that might require engine work

Man, your car looks so cool and well maintained. Please do post some interior snaps.

BTW, if you have decided to sell her, please do let me know (long time eager to own a lancy)

Thread Starter #10
Definite heart vs mind debate. Believe me, finally the evil mind wins in most of the cases.
With a heavy heart I sold my NHC vtec and purchased a Linea MJD Emotion.

Coming to the point, LPG in lancer may be economic to some extent. But not sure when the price of LPG will shoot up. With a budget of around 3.5L you can get a 2006 Fiesta Diesel (but requires a hard hunt and lot of patience)
So sad that you had to sell her but yes reality hits hard. Congrats on your Linea buy she is also a great machine. About LPg you are true its definitely going to shoot upwards as well. Planning to think for sometime and check out LPG options and then if nothing comes close by will have to part with her.

Man, your car looks so cool and well maintained. Please do post some interior snaps.

BTW, if you have decided to sell her, please do let me know (long time eager to own a lancy)
Thanks mate. I will try to get some snaps when possible. These were taken in April I guess. Interiors might not be very impressive as we were not very comfortable with leather(just my opinion). You might not believe I got an offer for 2.4 L for her 20 days before the petrol price hike. I somehow was not convinced to let go off her. The guy was one of my friend's friend and he wanted to drive her and fell for her. I have not modded or tuned or nothing just stock and told me he had so far tested only abused lancers in the past and had a completely different opinion about them .

+1 to that. A diesel fiesta would be best choice.

Aha, a buyer already. Have it Boss and you wont regret it. Lancers are known to please their drivers to the core. I too had one, had to part with it about an year ago. Now, thinking to have one again. [evil]
Thanks mate. I will try to get some snaps when possible. These were taken in April I guess. Interiors might not be very impressive as we were not very comfortable with leather(just my opinion). You might not believe I got an offer for 2.4 L for her 20 days before the petrol price hike. I somehow was not convinced to let go off her. The guy was one of my friend's friend and he wanted to drive her and fell for her. I have not modded or tuned or nothing just stock and told me he had so far tested only abused lancers in the past and had a completely different opinion about them .
2.4 was a good offer, but I doubt you'd get something like that now. Lancers are very reliable cars buddy and age very well too. I'd suggest keep it and look for a cheap diesel hatch (if keeping both cars is not a problem). And yes, some interior snaps too please, boy, I miss my lancer!!!!

freakdude.

Thread Starter #12
Sorry guys was busy for quite some time now. If everything goes well I will be parting away with my dream machine in another 8-10 days. The silver lining in the cloud will be that the car will be bought by my friend .He will probably allow me to drive her once in a while(He will). I am not disclosing the price here. I will open up a new thread since I require your suggesstions for my next purchase. Appreciate all your suggesstions.

Cheeers,
ZeeZ

Good to know that you are selling it to a known person. I just hope he takes good care of your ride.

@zeez: Seen your message on the Lancer sale, but would suggest you reconsider. Unless and until you have increased your budget and are buying a new diesel car, please rethink your decision. Consider that your Lancer would be mechanically fit for another 4/5 years, please consider LPG as an option (as others have already noted). I live in Kolkata where there is no CNG, however seen quite a few Lancers with LPG kit fitted and doing thousand of KMs. Hence I understand that Lancer and LPG go together well. There are off course initial hick-ups in configuration, but after that not an issue.
Also if you are going for a used diesel sedan/hatch, you are not sure what you would be getting as there is also a risk component involved.
Hence consider the above while deciding.

Top Bottom