Is DPF Required For Private Vehicles Post BS-VI in India?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I need to understand if DPF (diesel particulate filter) would be required for Passenger vehicles in India post BS6 emission norms?
Will it also depend on the displacement capacity (CC) of the engine.
Can someone please help me understand this.

Thanks
MKDB

No, you don't have to fit DPF in your old vehicles in 2020 when BSVI norms kicks in across India. However, your old vehicles cannot be re-registered after completion of 10 years. Note that BS IV vehicles runs fine on BS VI fuels.
It is a myth that fitting DPF alone will make a car BS VI complaint. DPF only removes solid particulates. Soluble organic fraction and sulfate particulates cannot be removed by DPF.Moreover, ECU too needs to be modified. From 1 April 2020,the OBD port should give info about EGR system , Circuit continuity for all emission related power train component and Electrical disconnection of Electronic evaporative purge control device. Form 1 April 2013 more OBD functions need to added including Catalytic converter monitoring, Misfire detection and Oxygen sensor deterioration.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
However, your old vehicles cannot be re-registered after completion of 10 years. Note that BS IV vehicles runs fine on BS VI fuels.
If this is true, Its very stupid.
Indian GOVT and NGT has been making these knee jerk stupid decisions for a while now. I just hope above statement is not true.

Hi,
I need to understand if DPF (diesel particulate filter) would be required for Passenger vehicles in India post BS6 emission norms?
Will it also depend on the displacement capacity (CC) of the engine.
Can someone please help me understand this.

Thanks
MKDB
Actually it is also very confusing to me. Is BSVI Diesel Engine really equivalent to Euro VI Diesel Engine like many others speak of?
Source: Engine upgrade costs could make diesels unaffordable: Maruti
“It’s not that we aren’t confident of upgrading a small diesel engine to meet BS-VI norms. We can fully meet all the future requirements. But there are costs involved. Whether the customer would be willing to pay Rs 2 or 3 lakh more for a selective catalytic reduction (SCR)-equipped diesel in the MPV segment is a question mark,” said CV Raman to Autocar India.
By the above statement it is clearly understood that SCR is expensive and all Euro VI Diesels come equipped with DPF + SCR.
In addition to the costs involved in upgrading to BS-VI in 2020, the introduction of Real Driving Emissions (RDE) testing around 2023 will require SCR systems in many diesels, further raising their cost.
This is the most interesting part !!! The second statement says Real Driving Emissions (RDE) testing will be implemented by 2023 which will require SCR systems. So the BSVI Diesel Engines that are being implemented by 2020 are not truely equivalent to Euro VI norms?? Are BSVI Emission standards are more like Euro V standards? If this is true then Auto Industry won on making govt agree on adopting true BSVI Emission norms by 2023 and we are not leap frogging to BSVI by skipping BSV actually. It may be true in terms of petrol. Any knowledge person can comment on this.

Source: Implementation of Bharat Stage VI norms in India
Diesel engines will be more expensive once BS VI norms are implemented. With introduction of real driving emission testing in 2022-2023, selective catalytic reduction systems will be required in many diesel engines for NOx reduction.
With further digging, I found out that only Diesel Particulate Filter(DPF) will be introduced in our BSVI Diesel Engines by 2020 which is equivalent to Euro V emission standards. May be tuned for speeds lower than European Standards which is 120 KMPH for DPF regeneration process. I guess our OEMs are doing R&D to develop an Indianized version of DPF to deal with Indian Driving Conditions.
And it approximately costs 82,000/- to implement DPF for a 1.5 Diesel Engine as per this BSVI Infographics (Note: Not Official Figures). So it is clear that SCR wont be implemented by 2020. Diesel cars will become expensive by 2020 and even more expensive by 2023. I hope this helps.
BSVI_Infographics.jpeg

To my Indian friends, There will come a time when your diesel cars will not need scr, egr or dpf! We have invented a device (actually a two-in-one) that will clean emissions to less than 1% opacity. nuvinuvi.blogspot.com Pls see the videos that 'cleaned' emissions. The test engines were euro 2 standard.

Mod, if it is against forum rules, just delete our blogsite. thanks

I want to comment about volksjager comment. Personally, I prefer scr over egr because egr require the recirculation of waste back to the engine. It is so complicated to me and illogical too. Why eat a part of your waste to clean your waste? Why not make it simple, like our invention which will be evaluated by US EPA next year? I hope it will pass EPA tests so that the muffler will be just a 'straight pipe'. This will increase engine power and FE. my 2 cents

Our attention was so much concentrated on emissions that we forgot to state here that our technology does not only 'clean' engine emissions but it will save 10-30% of fuel, the engine will run smoother (lesser noise) with better acceleration. (pls see our blog). Our invention has two components, one is electromagnetic and the other is electrostatic. One makes the air molecules negative while the other makes fuel molecules positive. This scheme has the highest combustion possible because of polarization. On ordinary schemes, the two elements has random polarity; combustion is increased by mechanical means (crdi), the PCT will produce the highest percentage of combustion.

Since our invention is now filed at the USPTO last 9/2019, we expect to be evaluated by EPA this year, however, EPA is reluctant about this because our tech is not a 'certified retrofit'.
We are insisting that our tech should be tested on a Euro 1 or Euro 2 engines, to test its efficacy in removing smoke.

To all my Indian friends, it is unfortunate that I am posting my 4th post/comment at a time like this when the whole world is at a standstill. I hope everybody is safe and healthy.
I have posted a petition to ALL CEO's of cruise/cargo shipping companies to help us 'clean' their emissions. It would be a healthier, cleaner world if these companies 'clean' their ship's emissions. I request that ALL who wish to sign the petition go to: chnge.it/yGHVHCFH tike.

bhvm

Honoured Member
404 Not Found
  • Code: NoSuchKey
  • Key: yGHVHCFH tike
  • RequestId: 3FA291490C1357FC
  • HostId: U5LszutFyhy7kaOBoPCCBnJ+SLbu79M5ka83L75S1Ru7lIcEQhqy8OKhJY2AEZcOI5IlPB3wd+I=

Top Bottom