Is Comprehensive Insurance Now Compulsory for New Cars?

Thread Starter #1
One more doubt regarding the insurance.

as far as i know , insurance is of 2 type.
comprehensive and 3rd party

comprehensive is for the whole car
3rd party is for the damage that we may cause - only this is mandatory

While paying the insurance for the accent ,
i was told the insurance is changed a lot these days.
i must compulsory take the comprehensive one

while for the 2004 model marina , i paid only 3rd party , it was in 2009(agent kept saying it was so difficult for him to get that)

for the lancer too last december , i paid 3rd party one , this time too he said , difficult for a luxury car , but tried and succeed saying as it was 10 yr old car and with his influence he got that

But this time i am caught. no other way , but to shell out 3900/- for a idv value as low as 1L. This was the maximum ,the agent can reduce them.

when only the 3rd party one is required by the rule , why there is no option for it recently and for new cars?

Or was i taken for a ride?

Under the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act all the vehicles which are plying in public places shall have at insurance policy at least to cover third party liability as specified under the Act.
It is mandatory for every auto owner to get third party insurance cover. It covers the car owners against Act Risks under Section 146 of Motor Vehicles Act 1988. The scope of cover of the third party insurance is to pay compensation for death of bodily injuries to third parties and also damage done to the property of the third party. For cars the 'Act Only Policy' covers third party property damages upto Rs. 6000. For theft or fire risk covering you need to pay more.

dont know if its same for new and old vehicles

Thread Starter #3
yeah i mean the theft and fire insurance , the comprehensive one.

this is not necessary as old cars are provided with this and also my previous two cars were done 3rd party .
Now they site the reason its strict now a days and also its election time around and heavy checking taking place . so i needed a insurance immediately as the car was without it . hence paid the 3900/-

AFAIK third party insurance is mandatory since it is used for the compensation in case a third party is involved/injured in the accident.
I know an uncle of mine who is having only the Third party insurance for his ANHC, so i believe Comprehensive Insurance isnt mandatory.

But ilango still there is no loss if you go for comprehensive.
And i would still recommend you Govt PSU's for insurance.
As the vehicle ages the private players tend to lose interest & you can know their behaviour when a claim arises.

But ilango still there is no loss if you go for comprehensive.
And i would still recommend you Govt PSU's for insurance.
As the vehicle ages the private players tend to lose interest & you can know their behaviour when a claim arises.
+1. When it comes to insurance, Govt. PSU are far better. I somehow its better to opt for them even for new cars(save for Maruti Insurance which is hassle free?).

Top Bottom