Irritating Humming Sound From Tyres in My New Hyundai i10

Thread Starter #1
My white beauty (i10 1.2 magna) is just a month old and driven only 1500 kms. I love everything of my car looks, interiors, finishing, mileage, engine etc. except one thing The echo humming noise from tires. I know some noise comes from all tires but this is unbearable in my car. Also i don't have any ICE installed in my car yet, may be that's the reason. Specially on long drives. I got it checked from dealership twice but they say its normal and they can't do anything about it.

Is the problem in the tires or every tyre produce some noise. What can i do to shut off this sound. I can't understand what to do. Hope you guys suggest some good solution.

My white beauty (i10 1.2 magna) is just a month old and driven only 1500 kms. I love everything of my car looks, interiors, finishing, mileage, engine etc. except one thing The echo humming noise from tires. I know some noise comes from all tires but this is unbearable in my car. Also i don't have any ICE installed in my car yet, may be that's the reason. Specially on long drives. I got it checked from dealership twice but they say its normal and they can't do anything about it.

Is the problem in the tires or every tyre produce some noise. What can i do to shut off this sound. I can't understand what to do. Hope you guys suggest some good solution.
It can be the tyres but faulty wheel bearings is one of the cause too. I had got mine replaced on a new car twice in the year 2009.

If you can do a little effort on your own you can actually do a self test. Since you will be doing this in your garage you will have to jack the car 4 times one tire up each time.

Procedure (prepferably with 2 guys)
1. Engage the car into some gear preferrably 1st or 2nd or reverse.
2. release parking brake
3. Lift one of the rear end with jack
4. ask your friend to spin the wheel as fast as he can.
4. Put 2 of your fingers below the coil spring just touch the coil springs dont press you fingers on them
5. If the bearing has gone kaput you will feel "kat-kat-kat" like small vibrations on your finger.
6. Repeat this on the other rear end.
7. When doing the same thing on front end, disengage the gears and put the car on parking brakes. Parking brakes are on the rear wheels only.

If you don't want to spend this amount of effort request the service advisor to put you car on 2 or 4 post lift and then you can DIY it there as you have all the wheels above the ground and you can inspect them one by one.

Hope this will help you.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks a lot.
I told the hyundai guys to check the bearings also and they reported that the bearings are fine. But i was not there that time. I'll go to the workshop tomorrow morning and get the bearing checked in front of me.Is there any other way to reduce sound from the car floor (if the bearings are OK), like sound deadner or some mat or carpet or anything like that.

Last edited:
The road conditions also add to the sound, when you find out tomorrow that bearings are ok and the roads on which you drive are ok too. Then ask the showroom guys to temporarily replace all the tires with new ones(they will strongly oppose and would not want to do this) but trust me is worth a try. Suppose the replaced tyres also produce that noice, then the sound dampners in your car are either not fitted properly or may be completely missing. Let's wait till tomorrow, I have given you the tricks, don't let them do it in front of you, i stronly recommend that you participate in this process.

My friend also has an i10 old gen and his car also produces this sound. I believe its mainly because of the tyres , his car came with MRF. What tyres you car has?

If its JK , Goodyear , Bridgestone or MRF then most probably it is due to the tyres only. These are hard compound tyres and so they produce a lot of road noise.

If you feel the noise is too unbearable trade off the tyres while they are still new and get Michelin's.

Thread Starter #7
Have you checked alignment ?
Yes i've checked the alignment and its fine.

My friend also has an i10 old gen and his car also produces this sound. I believe its mainly because of the tyres , his car came with MRF. What tyres you car has?

If its JK , Goodyear , Bridgestone or MRF then most probably it is due to the tyres only. These are hard compound tyres and so they produce a lot of road noise.

If you feel the noise is too unbearable trade off the tyres while they are still new and get Michelin's.
My car has Bridgestone tyres. I don't think i can get the full value of tyres if i change to any other brand as they are driven 1500 kms.

One more thing, there are some shiny slippery patches on the highways about 500-700 meters, when i drive on them there is no noise from tyres.

Hey dude,

There is nothing wrong in your car or tyres. Its the road noise which you rea hearing. All i suggest is to ICE your car. That will solve everything.[thumbsup]

The reason for the noise is due to the friction between the tyre and the road. Keep your tyre pressure to slightly higher then the recommended pressure.
It will slightly reduce the noise.

But due to the poor sound damping in the i10 it is the common thing with all the i10 cars.[frustration]

Please check if your car's tyres have un-even wear at either ends (outer end/inner end) and not in middle. If you find this then check tie-rods and boot for any issues.

freakdude.

Top Bottom