Introducing a Unique Audiophile Grade Headunit: Andrio IVI

Thread Starter #1
As I have mentioned in my introduction thread, eventhough I am more of a Home Audio enthusiast, I started doing research in Car Audio too when I couldnt find a satisfactory performance from the usual suspects in the market. This helped me in developing a unique headunit called Andrio.

Its design philosophy is mainly developed from the experience I got from Home Audio. It started as a DIY project for my car and on finding its success, I am introducing to the market as an all-in-one IVI product at a very reasonable and affordable cost for common people. (Currently in Pre-Order stage)

Following are the highlights of this IVI headunit (ANDRIO):
========================================
- 6.2" / 6.5" / 7" High Quality IPS LCD panel with 1080p Full HD resolution support (panel resolution 1280x800 (16:10) / 800x480 (16:9))
- Audiophile grade internal DAC / external USB DACs.
- Hard Disk support: 1GB - 5TB and *any USB storage device
- Audio format supported : FLAC, FLAC(HD), WAV, MP3, APE, AAC, OGG, AC3
- Video Format supported : WMV, ASF, MP4, 3GP, AVI, 3G2M4V, MJPEG, RV10, VC-1, DivX, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264,1280x720P HD 30fps,1080P/720X480 D1 30fps
- OBD reader with Torque as default reader app
- High quality GPS receiver that can be used with Google Maps / Sygic / similar app
- Reverse parking camera support
- HeadUnit navigation using external remote
- All upgrades will be Modular so that the previous owners can upgrade their existing HU by paying the extra charge.
- FM Radio

Now break your head on tweaking \ playing with external DACs and interconnect cables to get the best possible audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about bluetooth?It is a very important and useful features these days.

Can you please post some pictures of the product and an official link to a website.

CMS that is a lot of feature you have mentioned. MW what OS is that Win ICE 5.0 or Android? Also what about the processor?

@ CMS:

Can we have more details like price / A*S*S of the product.
If any one wants to buy then what is the procedure ?
Are you providing any universal installation kit ?

Thread Starter #7
As I had mentioned in my introduction post, I am an audio-video enthusiast apart from an auto enthusiast. I myself has designed this product for my own car and on seeing its success I am making it as a product at a competitive price. An audiophile grade IVI is a distant dream for most of the people and is very expensive. When I was looking for out for a decent audio system for my car (Renault Duster), I couldnt find anything in the market at an affordable cost. Hence the concept of a PC / IVI with a good internal dac / external DAC came in and I decided to do a project on a light weight IVI unit that supports all these + the IVI functions. The final product is a proper headunit in standard sized enclosures.

Andrio is not just a dump headunit, its a PC running Android 4.2 (Jellybean) with a light weight Dual core A9 ARM processor with Quad core Graphic processor and 1GB DDR3 RAM. Its an IVI (In Vehicle Infotainment) system which includes real time ECU scanner, GPS Navigation (can run Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation / Sygic with MapMyIndia maps), Reverse parking assist, Tools for car management and much more. Audiophile grade audio (can play FLAC, none of the HUs support this format) / High Definition Video playback (plays 1080p videos) support are only a part of it.

Moreover, what makes Andrio unique from the existing android based units in the market is that its fully run on Android and open source. What I understand is that those units are not actually running on android, it has both Windows CE (Radio/GPS/DVD) and Android (old 2.2) is just for namesake. The limiting factor is its non-upgradable poor hardware and hence the pathetic performance. Andrio is a bridge between them or in other words its an Android based light weight CarPC.

Following are some of the Unique features \ possibilities of Andrio:
==============================================
- supports 1-5TB HDD. No need to stick to a USB stick and its small size.
- supports FLAC \ WAV audio playback. Size is not restricted due to the support for HDDs. FLAC \ WAV are loseless formats and are near CD quality. (MP3s are lossy formats)
- supports 720p / 1080p High Definition video play back
- Real Time ECU OBD scanner. Helps in monitoring the different engine and vehicle related parameters in real time. This helps in detecting some of the faults in advance. It can also clear the error codes in ECU.
- Reverse parking assist
- Navigation using any android apps (Google Maps / Sygic with MMI maps)
- GPS Tracking in case of theft
- Modular in design and open source (h/w and s/w). Upgrade is very easy, like a pc.

Possibilities are endless like
- Real Time TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system)

Currently its in the pre-order stage and I will be shortly announcing the introductory prices soon (stuck at the fluctuating dollar rate). More details and the prototype installation can be found in the following links (please remove the space between "gear" and "heads", somehow its not allowing me to post it without the space)

Interest check thread (original) in the other forum. TAIans' interests can be posted in this thread, no need to post in the other forum. Hope I am not violating any forum rules.
- gear heads.in/showthread.php?17000-Interest-Check-DIY-Audiophile-Grade-2DIN-Car-Audio-Video-Head-Unit

Installation (Prototype) thread in my car:
- gear heads.in/showthread.php?18186-DIY-Android-based-ICE-GPS-Navigation-Vehicle-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD-Reader-in-Renault-Duster

Following are some of the general Design Principles followed in this project:
====================================================
- Reduce the analog path as much as possible till the amplifier unlike the traditional concept of 17ft RCA cables that can attract all kinds of EMI/RF interference or noise and can affect the SQ. In Andrio, all the data travel is in digital (to reduce the chances for any kind of interference) and the analog path is very less (concept hired from the HomeAudio).

- Support any existing display units in the car like reverse parking \ gps units through video-in (converter reqd)

- Co-exist with the default HU to support some of the unique features in the unit and to preserve the warranty of the vehicle.

- Modular and Open Source design to make the upgrade of h/w and s/w possible and can be done easily.

Last edited:
There is not much detail pictures or function test of the unit itself in the Video.We need more clarity into the product.

The RPM on the screen does not move as fast as the needle as well.What is the difference between this and DIY carputer that a lot of members have incorporated in their cars.

Thread Starter #9
In simple terms, this is a light weight carputer or in general technical terms, an IVI. A carputer is not every one's cup of coffee and needs a lot of constant tweaking and expertise. The main difference is the power consumption, Andrio takes only <20w at full load (~1/6th of a pc). Hence very less amount of heat generation and no moving parts. A similar DIY carputer will cost a lot more than this unit (yet to be finalised).

The OBD tool used was Torque PRO and its the best OBD tool as of now in Android. If the user finds a better one, he can install that. The limitless support of android applications along with the interface options in android makes it attractive than a pc running on windows. (eg: Torque PRO, there is nothing in windows that has a similar and comprehensive interface.)

There is not much detail pictures or function test of the unit itself in the Video.
Its only a proof of concept \ prototype video.

We need more clarity into the product.
Please check the specs which I had mentioned before.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Its the prototype installation and not the final product. The final product is planned to be in 4 models
- Andrio BASIC (Headless / without any display so that users can connect to any existing displays)
- Andrio PRIME (4.3" monitor and can be placed on the dashboard / windscreen using a suction holder)
- Andrio CLASSIC (2 DIN unit with 7" display (800x480) that can be properly installed in the 2DIN slot of the dashboard)
- Andrio PREMIUM (Fully loaded 2 DIN unit with 7" display (1280x800) that can be properly installed in the 2DIN slot of the dashboard)

All models except classic and premium will have 2 control units, one near the dash board (size : 6" x 6") and another next to the amplifier (size : 6" x 8") connecting digitally. Only at the unit next to the amp will have the analog out.

I dont have any photos of the units as the production is not yet started and based on the pre-order I will start. I am not planning for a mass production as of now, initially targeting only the enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Moreover, you must have decided to proceed with producing more unite only after a successful install in any car and test it, so sharing a few pics shouldn't be tough. We can only appreciate a product when we see/feel it. Rest, nice effort. What shall be the price point?

Its the prototype installation and not the final product. The final product is planned to be in 4 models
- Andrio BASIC (Headless / without any display so that users can connect to any existing displays)
- Andrio PRIME (4.3" monitor and can be placed on the dashboard / windscreen using a suction holder)

I dont have any photos of the units as the production is not yet started and based on the pre-order I will start. I am not planning for a mass production as of now, initially targeting only the enthusiasts.
Hi CMS,

I am intrested for the Andrio BASIC. Please PM me the price details.
My car is a ERTIGA ZXi.

Thread Starter #15
Hi CMS,

I am intrested for the Andrio BASIC. Please PM me the price details.
My car is a ERTIGA ZXi.
Wait till I announce the price and each model features and options. I will add your name to the interest list for Andrio BASIC. Since I am not in to bulk production, I am not getting any price lock from the vendors and this dollar rate fluctuating is making me crazy (If the price is not fixed properly I will have to take from my pocket :), hope you understand)

after a successful install in any car and test it
Yes, Its fully tested as I had mentioned in the original thread, but the enclosures will be made based on order and only during the normal production. I will try to post the pictures of the prototype units once I have the car with me, currently its at Cochin. By mid Sep it will be back.

Even for pre order, a working model of each product is necessary.Specs are only part of the story.
As I told, once I have the car with me I will post few more pictures of the working unit, but not individual parts. Since the user is not bothered about what is happening inside each unit and will be looking out for the results, I dont feel the need for posting the pictures of each parts / units separately, I believe none of the manufacturer will do that.

Adding a post for interested members:
- Kalinga (Anrdio BASIC)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom