Inexpensive GPS Using Your Android Phone

The app works absolutely as discussed, but I am facing issues in getting a gps fix, might be my phone's gps issue. I tried gps booster and optimiser too still no luck. Any suggestions?

freakdude.
May be the GPS on phone is playing spoilsport.

Have heard reviews that for Iphone locking of GPS is spot on.

What it does is if the locking through satellite signal is weak, it switches over to data connection to know the exact location.

I use my Nokia E6 ("Drive" application) its amazing, works for me always..
there is a voiced navigation, which keeps you telling the turns and roads.

It also shows your speed while you are moving..

android/blackberry phones as GPS devices

Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried using their smartphone as a GPS device for use in long distance driving in India. If so, please share details of your favorite apps for this purpose, and the level of success you have achieved in not getting lost once you get off the main highways into country roads/"kaccha" roads in the middle of nowhere.

I have downloaded navfree in my samsung galaxy y . Its free and uses downloaded maps. the maps are not up to date , infact it doesnt show the road in front of my house. So i am nowhere [;)]. May be useful in some cases , will see when i travel to mumbai.

BTW does anybody know any maps which allows you to edit the route, say in case I know a specific road to be taken. navfree doesnt allow me to modify.

Last edited:
I have downloaded navfree in my samsung galaxy y . Its free and uses downloaded maps. the maps are not up to date , infact it doesnt show the road in front of my house. So i am nowhere [;)]. May be useful in some cases , will see when i travel to mumbai.

BTW does anybody know any maps which allows you to edit the route, say in case I know a specific road to be taken. navfree doesnt allow me to modify.
Since the date Google has launched Navigation in India, I didn't have to look at any other app. Works flawlessly on my Galaxy I9003. Also, it only needs internet when routing/re-routing. Once done, you can turn-off data network and it gives turn-by-turn voice guided navigation.

freakdude.

I always use Google map Navigation with Voice enabled in my Android Samsung Ace mobile. It shows accurate destination.

I was fully dependent on my Android Samsung Ace mobile during my recent Visit to Sabarimala. It shows all the shortcuts correctly. I like this very much[:D]

I am often using my Nokia E6-00 in Bangalore when drive to destination unfamiliar to me.
Since I have downloaded and installed maps by using internet connection in my home, I think I am not being charged from BSNL for the data usage while I use navigation.
I love tat feature as it is really handy and proved that it can help me on my way inside Bangalore and that long empty highways.

Top Bottom