Indian Made Cars Expected as "Future Classics"

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

When we say "Classics", a couple of cars that none could miss out is our good old Amby and Premier Padmini. So which of the cars manufactured after 1990's could become the "Future Classics"?

Note:
Consider only
- Cars that are manufactured / assembled in India
- Produced after 1990
List out the cars that could fit this category and the reason why do you think so.

To name a few (I'm not listing out everything here, to leave some space for other members also)
1) Maruti 800
- This is one car that changed the strategy of "Pleasure Car" to "Affordable people's car".
- This is one car which changed the market trend to move from Long / Big 3 box construction to small / tiny 2 box construction.
- For most of us M800 used to be the 1st car in family and many learnt driving with it.
2) HM Contessa
The real Indian Muscle car. I couldn't think of another such car that was/is manufactured in India.
3) Honda City (OHC) vtec
One of the few cars available in India those days that could give you a pure driving pleasure combined with a superb comfort. No wonders that it is selling like a hot cake in used market till date.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello All,

When we say "Classics", a couple of cars that none could miss out is our good old Amby and Premier Padmini. So which of the cars manufactured after 1990's could become the "Future Classics"?
TATA NANO, for being the most pocket friendly car. It actually is the "People's Car". It was a really brave and successful attempt by TATA.

A well "Researched and Developed" Topic Satish![cheers]

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4
But Boss, None of this are true indian car except Nano. I think we should add indica also as an Indian made classic as it is the Most cheaper & comfortable Diesel car made in india.
Let's give some deviation here, 'Made in India' tag can be accepted for this discussion though some where 'designed somewhere else'[evil]
Indica for sure can be added to the list, it made a big change in Taxi segment.

Mahindra Renault "Logan".

The one of reason which I see is the "collaboration between Mahindra & Renault". The collaboration badge was evident on their cars after Maruthi & Suzuki. Others may add the other points.

Several other manufacturers has a collaboration but it does not reflect on their branding like Toyota & Kirloskar, Renault & Nissan etc.

Last edited:
One worthy point to make here. MSIL is a Good example of where distinctive logo of M shaped wings of Maruti being replaced with S of Suzuki. Indian made car now has a suzuki logo. The foreign collaborators always take upper hand in dumping old versions to India and not allow Indian Minds to develop something exclusive to India.

Last edited:
hey DING DING DING, TATA SIERRA fits the bill here. if and only if TATA relaunches this car man.
Also Mr. Boss Contessa is my all time favorite, Yes its the one and only Indian muscle car
wish they keep it alive just like corvettes and stang's

One worthy point to make here. MSIL is a Good example of where distinctive logo of M shaped wings of Maruti being replaced with S of Suzuki. Indian made car now has a suzuki logo. The foreign collaborators always take upper hand in dumping old versions to India and not allow Indian Minds to develop something exclusive to India.
The company working here with this startgy is chevrolet and none of their this type models are success nowadays. Tavera was luanched very earlier.

But their plans not clicking nowadays and these companies at the same time launch the new varients of international models available here, though features may be missing from indian models.

Hello All,

2) HM Contessa
The real Indian Muscle car. I couldn't think of another such car that was/is manufactured in India.
True muscle! too bad they didn't promote the Contessa. It would have been a worth competent to other muscles in both looks and performance

Last edited:
i love premier sigma over omni any given day though sigma did not click as much as omni but still. its got A/c its got comfy seats. A diesel engine and a good F.E. as well as a strong body. However i doubt many might not have even heard about it.

Mr. Boss great thread[clap]

Maruti 800 would become a classic few years down the line. It revolutionised the Indian automobile industry. Every household which could afford a car would have definitely had one and every one who knows driving would have driven one.

Also the Ford Ikon would fit the bill except that manufacturing started in 1999 but the first gen Ikon was built in India. This was also the first successful car from Ford's stable. Also my favourite. Dad had one from 2007 till 2014.

Not to forget the Omni, boy it still sells around 5-6k units MOM. T board/commercial contribution should be huge. This might also become a classics but will take a long time considering it is still in production and I do not see Maruti pulling the plug anytime soon...
Cheers[;)]

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom