Indian Made Cars Expected as "Future Classics"

Yes. Thanks ngolwala. We had owned one but forgot to update here.Though not a proper indian car like most of the cars mentioned above, it was a beautiful real luxuary car of that times. We should look this cars like..the cars may be considered as classic cars in India (like Rx 100,RD 350, Enfield & CD 100 are the classic bikes in india)

Cielo i dont think is indian made. however for the time it was launched if at all they had considered the mileage of the car while manufacturing it would have been a hit like LANCER as it is also the most mod friendly car.

Maruti Zen (first gen)- india's first premium hatchback (at the time of its launch)
Maruti Esteem (a sedan for all, from satisfing the "kitna deti hai" factor to satisfing the enthusiasts)
Maruti Baleno (a wolf in sheep's skin, a truely enthusiast's ride at that era)
Ford Ikon (established ford as a brand in india)
Indica(for making people believe that tata motors can be much more than just a truck and bus manufacturer)

I guess the Gypsy and the Thar would also be potential classics [;)]...

:offtopic: I have always wondered Why Maruti has not designed a compact SUV based on gypsy and why they had not tried the MJD. It would have been worth while...

Mr. Boss, [;)]sorry to have violated your rule of being manufactured before 1990 with Thar...

Last edited:
I guess the Gypsy and the Thar would also be potential classics [;)]...

:offtopic: I have always wondered Why Maruti has not designed a compact SUV based on gypsy and why they had not tried the MJD. It would have been worth while...

Mr. Boss, [;)]sorry to have violated your rule of being manufactured before 1990 with Thar...
@ KC I think Everybody is tired of maruti trying the same engine in different products. its like old bride new clothes. However maruti did try something new with GRAND VITARA however it did not click as the gypsy had. Probably one of the reasons is when the Gypsy was launched petrol was actually not expensive. but when they launched VITARA the prices of petrol were at all time high. However there is a news that they are coming up with a new crossover. May be it will be a game changer for maruti. The Car is definitely a LOOKER, performance is something we will be waiting for. THAR is nothing but a jeep with CRDI engine or DI engine. so instead of saying THAR we could Say jeep.

No matter where it is manufactured a classic is a classic. People love to own it forever. Like SS80 of maruti 800, fiat premier series and amby. Even lancer,cielo,city and matiz is owned by enthusiasts.
I dont see anyone liking to own a indica.

Made in India , I fail to understand this concept.
By made in india
Do you say manufacturer is a indian?
As engine is designed somewhere else, manufactured in india as oem what about this scenario?
Do you say made in india means body is made in india?
Do you say made in india means assembled in india?

Eg: Indica design was copied from a british car, various parts from various manufaturers
SS80 Suzuki was designed in japan subsequent design of swift designed in india

If you are interested in end product with cost vs quality then manufacturer will manufacture in India and provide you a car with your requirements

Top Bottom