Indian Friend Going To Japan - Need Suggestions for Gifts

Thread Starter #1
mods, if this is not allowed pl remove the thread.

We (my wife and myself) have a good friend, a girl who is going to Japan on a scholarship for research. initially she will be there for 6 months later on she may or may not go back.

since she is leaving we would like to give her a gift. my wife suggested pen drives etc. bu i think there is no point in giving her something she can buy very easily at Japan. the girl is a very traditional. so friends help me choose something
1. not too much costly
2. nothing too technical, only gadget she uses in her mobile and laptop
3. something useful in Japan , not easy to procure there
4. she is traditional, so nothing flashy etc.

please input your suggestions.

Re: help me with a gift for a friend going to japan

What about food item ? spicy Indian food she is going to miss that in Japan [;)]

Rule out electronics item for a person visiting Japan. Anything else per the person's taste will be fine. Indians miss indian spices and indian food mostly.

Which girl doesnt like a saree!!!

may not be that useful in japan , but will be a good gift.

And some indian recipe book collection.

Indian Traditional Bangles.

I gifted a Saree to egyptian woman she made two pajamas out of it,She dint realize it was "SAREE".

350Z

Core Team
Congrats to her for going to the land of Nissan Z’s. :biggrin: I think that Saree and Bangles will be nice choice to keep her in touch with the Indian tradition. How about an Indian hand bag along with a pack of some homemade chocolates?

Drive Safe,
350Z

I gifted a Saree to egyptian woman she made two pajamas out of it,She dint realize it was "SAREE".
:lol!:Oh God,I'll fell off the chair,what a fantastic gift Jayadev!!!

Congrats to her for going to the land of Nissan Z’s. :biggrin: I think that Saree and Bangles will be nice choice to keep her in touch with the Indian tradition.
How about an Indian hand bag?
First of all leave everything else and ask her to get a lot of pictures of Nissan 350/370Z cars for our dear 350Z,as he seems to be a bit too excited.I am sure if he would have ruled the world,then the Japan would have been called 'Z-Land'..:biggrin:(No offence to anyone,just some lighter moments..)

+1 to 350Z for the idea of an Indian made handbag.
Girls use handbags a lot(At least mine loves them)and they also love collecting them too..so in my views,it will be better to gift her a good pair of some high quality Indian handbags signed by you people with a permanent marker,as a sign of your friendship.

Rest according to Jayadev style...GIFT HER TWO PAJAMAS,MAYBE SHE MAKES A SAREE OUT OF THEM..[lol](again,please don't mind as it was just a joke).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
First of all thank you guys! for the wonderful suggestions.

What about food item ? spicy Indian food she is going to miss that in Japan [;)]
+1 to that, it just occurred to me that we should give her a treat before going.

Rule out electronics item for a person visiting Japan. Anything else per the person's taste will be fine. Indians miss indian spices and indian food mostly.
i too thought that.

ilango[speed thirst];116505 said:

may not be that useful in japan , but will be a good gift.

And some indian recipe book collection.
saree is good, but we want to give her something more useful, as we are not sure she may have to go back ( the first six months are training, and she has to come back to India) before PhD submission, i think saree is not much use.

Indian Traditional Bangles.

those are good.

Congrats to her for going to the land of Nissan Z’s. :biggrin: I think that Saree and Bangles will be nice choice to keep her in touch with the Indian tradition. How about an Indian hand bag along with a pack of some homemade chocolates?

Drive Safe,
350Z
+1 to the handbag, that item may come in handy for her. she has a 5 year PhD programme with Japan. only after she has reached there will we know the details.
I will discuss all these with my wife and get back, meanwhile please continue pouring in your ideas![thumbsup]

buddy i think you should give her a sculpture of any god mainly a lord Ganesha for bringing happiness and prosperity in her life .

Thread Starter #10
buddy i think you should give her a sculpture of any god mainly a lord Ganesha for bringing happiness and prosperity in her life .
She is Christian. and since the first visit is only six months not planning on any god idols

International Drivers License so that she can drive most of the sports cars on those roads (Ngoya,thats where I got my imports from)

Well electronics isn't what you wana give it to her.

checklist of important things:
Phone
Camera
Laptop
grooming
clothes

no sweets and spices , she'll have to go thru customs and all.

My friend is working in Suzuki Japan if you guys need any help I can ask him

Top Bottom