Indian 'Compact Sedan' Segment

Thread Starter #1
I would like to start a thread on the Indian Compact Sedan segment. Later on we can also cover Compact SUVs segment in a different thread. Cz it's this segment which makes a common family buy a sedan instead of the hatchback. I l be comparing the Dzire with the upcoming cars with Amaze being the most hotlly anticipated car. Your suggestions will be welcome folks :)

Re: Indian CS segment

I agree.Amaze will be serious competition for weird looking Dzire? Suzuki better watch out as the urban tier 1 folks trust only one brand ahead of Suzuki(generally) and that's Honda! I think Amaze will sell like hot cakes and should most definitely spoil Dzire's party!!

Noisy

Suspended

Nope, I still dont think that Amaze will affect Dzire sales. People usually prefer Marutis (Including my family) as they are very common and service is okay. But those looking for quality will go for Amaze, as it is a Honda.
For me, it is still an odd looking car (as the Brio) from some angles.

Guys as per my knowledge honda do not have a diesel engine in india and the up coming one is also a petrol version.if you can check suzuki sells diesel dezire more than petrol so it wont affect maruti in indian market.

Thread Starter #6

Guys as per my knowledge honda do not have a diesel engine in india and the up coming one is also a petrol version.if you can check suzuki sells diesel dezire more than petrol so it wont affect maruti in indian market.
It's going to come in diesel guise too which is going to be a very frugal engine to drive around the city as well as on the highway roads. So Dzire's forte is sure going to be undone by this one :P

Hats off to suzuki, they made a honda like company to build a diesel engine to be in the indian market. suzuki with less maintenance cost and good re sale in india its a herculian task for honda to take up in india.and do note that toyota too have a hatchback and sedans that are competing with suzuki.

Guys it looks like we are forgetting the father of this segment: Tata Indigo eCS.

BTW, I don't think Amaze will eat up any more than 10-20% of DZire's sales. Why? Price is the key factor, with 1.5l engine Amaze will be subjected to higher taxes etc.

Father or mother?
TML is the one who started this segment with the introduction of Indigo cs.
Dzire is compact sedan but what about the pricing??

Noisy

Suspended
@Jagrover: I agree TML started the Compact sedan segment, but still Dzire is a better buy. Tata cars, unfortunately, have got the TAXI image (Indicas and Indigos)..About pricing, Dzire Lxi (base @ 5L) comes with beige interior finish, steering adjustment, boot lamp, etc. and seems pretty VFM, as it comes with Maruti tag and looks of striking Swift and a boot for family.
Indigo CS, I think, has the same old look of the first Indica and a
facelift would be appreciated from Tata.

Last edited:
Hats off to suzuki, they made a honda like company to build a diesel engine to be in the indian market. suzuki with less maintenance cost and good re sale in india its a herculian task for honda to take up in india.and do note that toyota too have a hatchback and sedans that are competing with suzuki.
Yes but when will Suzuki make its own Diesel engine ? Atleast Honda made it by their own Suzuki is still was/is dependent on fiat .
Guys it looks like we are forgetting the father of this segment: Tata Indigo eCS.

BTW, I don't think Amaze will eat up any more than 10-20% of DZire's sales. Why? Price is the key factor, with 1.5l engine Amaze will be subjected to higher taxes etc.
Petrol engine till 1.2 and Diesel engine till 1.5 gets tax benefits .

Last edited:
Yes but when will Suzuki make its own Diesel engine ? Atleast Honda made it by their own Suzuki is still was/is dependent on fiat .

Petrol engine till 1.2 and Diesel engine till 1.5 gets tax benefits .
Please note that suzuki sells more diesel engine than fiat and tata together sells in india and so in a way or other suzuki helps fiat to sell their engine and the main thing is only after it was fitted in swift people came to know that this engine even exists so. hatsoff to suzuki.

Please note that suzuki sells more diesel engine than fiat and tata together sells in india and so in a way or other suzuki helps fiat to sell their engine and the main thing is only after it was fitted in swift people came to know that this engine even exists so. hatsoff to suzuki.
Yes you are correct ,

but are we talking here about capabilities of a car company ? Or which engines it makes famous ?

So in a way you are right 100% that Suzuki made fiat engine famous full marks to them and hats off also .

Now answer my question what about the capabilities of making a Diesel engine by your own as a car making company ? Whom shall we say " hats off" ? Suzuki or Honda ?

Since you belive in sales , In present diesel driven market

Honda city - (petrol only ) dec 2012 sales = 1442
Sx4 - ( petrol+ cng+diesel engine made famous by them ) =329 .
So now in this scenario whom shall we say " hats off " ?

Yes you are correct ,

but are we talking here about capabilities of a car company ? Or which engines it makes famous ?

So in a way you are right 100% that Suzuki made fiat engine famous full marks to them and hats off also .

Now answer my question what about the capabilities of making a Diesel engine by your own as a car making company ? Whom shall we say " hats off" ? Suzuki or Honda ?

Since you belive in sales , In present diesel driven market

Honda city - (petrol only ) dec 2012 sales = 1442
Sx4 - ( petrol+ cng+diesel engine made famous by them ) =329 .
So now in this scenario whom shall we say " hats off " ?
1. Toyota too have their own engine but they are nowhere near suzuki in diesel hatch and sedan.
2. if honda is selling more petrol engines then why are they making diesel engines

These companies are here to sell their products not to show their capability in making engines, suzuki make or borrow they sells more. HAtSOFF TO SUZUKI SORRY please do not take it personal.

1. Toyota too have their own engine but they are nowhere near suzuki in diesel hatch and sedan.
2. if honda is selling more petrol engines then why are they making diesel engines

These companies are here to sell their products not to show their capability in making engines, suzuki make or borrow they sells more. HAtSOFF TO SUZUKI SORRY please do not take it personal.
Hahaha there is nothing to take anything personal here I don't own a Honda or a Suzuki or tata or a fiat product . Beside forum is to discuss , agree disagree in a graceful way and not take things personally right ?

1) we are talking about Honda and Suzuki or Toyota also ? So far I know Toyota dosent have a compact sedan or does it ?

2) what if fiat and suzukis contract gets void for some reasons what will they do ? Don't you think dependence on something outside is not good in long run ?

Has the Honda amaze sale started in India already ? How sure are you that it will sell less at this point of time ? Is any market research study atleast done ?

Well inspite of a diesel selling car market Honda sells its petrol engine cars better then its competetion which shows their capabilities as a car maker which makes highly refined engines on their own , and one can just take a " educated guess" ( I have used the word guess not fact ) that their engine can even be good or even better then fiat used in maruti dezire .

If only sales are concerned and not technology and innovation then you are right Suzuki is great , but we are in a automotive forum and as automotive lovers we just don't look at the sales figures alone but also the innovation and tech involved in a given car by the car company .

so yes hatts off to Suzuki for since Suzuki is selling a lot of cars by being dependent on fiat by selling fiats innovative multijet engines in their own car as of now

Last edited:

Top Bottom