Indian City Reviews!

Thread Starter #1
Mumbai taxi wallahs are right up there with the Delhi auto wallahs.
Once, a Japanese guy had taken a cab from the Mumbai airport to Pune, and they charged him a cool 13K!!

Mod's Note: Since the posts in the best airport thread was going OT with discussions related to traffic jams & cab service, it is more apt to continue those discussions in this thread now onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumbai Airport is fine but I didn't found it as well maintained as of Delhi and Yeah, The traffic in Bombay is pathetic. Last time when I went there, We had to spend 15-20 Mins in the traffic Jam and Rajeev, Your Mumbai Taxi walas are expert in looting the tourists and Bangy has much more worse condition :biggrin:

Drive Safe,
350Z
Once, a Japanese guy had taken a cab from the Mumbai airport to Pune, and they charged him a cool 13K!!
this is the reason you should take only the prepaid airport taxis & not the others. they will take you to your destination at a fixed price.

and this "looting" by taxis & autos is valid even for chennai & bangalore (personal experience!).

350Z

Core Team
Whoa! :eek: How much does it costs normally?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Whoa! :eek: How much does it costs normally?

Drive Safe,
350Z
You share a cool cab, it is 500~650.
You book a whole Tavera, it costs you maybe 2.5K.
Go crazy with an Innova, it can cost 3K.
This guy came in a cool cab!!

Thread Starter #6
Well, seems to be that the Institute of Weights and Standards will not have any problems ... it is a standard feature all over!!
Pity, I was actually a little bit proud thinking that our Delhi Autowallahs were the "best"!!

Yes the situation is same in Chennai also Raj!!
yes, i know. i was charged Rs. 90 (!!!) from chennai university to a hotel nearby (besides a famous/big bus stop, i forgot the name) in broad daylight whereas my friend who knew tamil & who is good in bargaining was charged Rs. 30 at 2am in the morning including night charges!!! i was obviously [frustration].

chennai & delhi autos dont have meters, same is applicable in kerela, pune & bangalore too. the good thing in mumbai is atleast taxis & autos here religiously use meters, whether day or night. the japanese guy incident maybe a one off case but normally mumbai autos & BEST are considered the better ones in our country.

If you can tell me the name of the hotel i can tell the reasonable rate![thumbsup] And by Chennai university i guess you mean Anna University!

And yes i accept , when i visited Mumbai with my dad recently we were shocked to see the Auto driver turning the meter on!! In Chennai this happens very rarely , they have a fixed rate for every place!!

Raj all autos in bangalore have meters, and 95%+ time they will use that. Only in late night, for less distances, they may not switch-on.
Really? but i sat in only 2 autos & both dint have meters! they said a fixed rate before going to the destination. i thought thats the norm in bangalore.

If you can tell me the name of the hotel i can tell the reasonable rate![thumbsup] And by Chennai university i guess you mean Anna University!

And yes i accept , when i visited Mumbai with my dad recently we were shocked to see the Auto driver turning the meter on!! In Chennai this happens very rarely , they have a fixed rate for every place!!
oh yes, i mean anna university! sorry for that.

yes, mumbai auto & taxi wallahs dont need to be reminded to turn on the meter.

so, good part about mumbai is better auto & taxi wallahs & good bus service & bad part, as vibhor said, is traffic jam en route since the airport is bang in the middle of the city. even bangalore is like that, i narrowly missed my flight on 2 occasions in bangalore! chennai & delhi is better in this respect.

Really? but i sat in only 2 autos & both dint have meters! they said a fixed rate before going to the destination. i thought thats the norm in bangalore.
This is certainly not a norm. Your bad luck.
Some auto guys try to do that if they sense people is new to the city.

Thread Starter #12
chennai & delhi autos dont have meters, same is applicable in kerela, pune & bangalore too.
Delhi Autos do have meters, mostly ornamental!!
It is surprising how rude they can be, and how reluctant to use the same.
As for the rest of Kerala, I am not so sure, but they are pretty decent in Trivandrum.
Pune, 2 years now, and I have never used the autos!!

Hey guys, Delhi Autos have meters and that too electric ones but best is to take the city taxi, easy cab etc if you are new or a tourist.

Thread Starter #14
But my observation is that Delhi Auto wallahs are not discriminating, they fleece locals and tourists alike [:)]

Chennai is not proper in maintaining Meters!

But Bangalore is really good in that.

They always put meter & they just charge the same. no extras!

In nights, its 1.5 or twice the amount charged in meter.

I have been more than a year there & never faced any issues.

Top Bottom