India Welcomes BS-VI Emission Norms

Some vehicles are launched in late 2018 and 2019 , with BSVI norms (Eg- Mahindra Alturas ).
The thought I have is , I had heard from some forum , that especially with Renault engines who had launched BS4 vehicles , even before BS4 fuel was available , and many reports were there that its injectors had suffered premature failure during using such incompatible fuel and engine scenario.
So is present day Fuel pumps in India has BSVI fuels or , is the engine adapted to BSIV fuels also . (Especially injectors)

So is present day Fuel pumps in India has BSVI fuels or , is the engine adapted to BSIV fuels also . (Especially injectors)
May be it is BS-VI ready and not BS-VI compliant. BS-VI ready engines can easily take BS-IV fuels since it is having more sulphur content and hence it is having more lubricating properties, which is good for the fuel system (only my assumption). ULSD (Ultra low sulphur Diesel) is actually a dry fuel when compared to exisiting LSD ( 50ppm Sulphur). I see people using system D or liquid moly additives in old diesels to negate the lubricating effect of the LSD Diesel. But your example of Renault Diesel Injector failure is raising concerns because Renault 1.5 HDI is one the most reliable engine on roads today, there might be a possibility that injectors in BSVI are built for ULSD which needs hardened springs inside the injectors, so technically it should easily take LSD. I am not sure about this !

BS-VI Norms in 2020 in India
Will this bring out a complete turnaround in the Indian Automotive Industry?
With Safer Cars,Lesser Emissions, Compulsory Safety features in all variants,More Fuel Efficient,et.al
I remember the change in the sales ratio of Petrol/Diesel cars with the launch of the Fiat sourced 1.3l DDIS engine in the Swift Diesel way back in 2007.
Is similar change expected in future with Hybrid/Electric technology in 2020?
Curious[think]

BS-VI Norms in 2020 in India
Will this bring out a complete turnaround in the Indian Automotive Industry?
With Safer Cars,Lesser Emissions, Compulsory Safety features in all variants,More Fuel Efficient,et.al
I remember the change in the sales ratio of Petrol/Diesel cars with the launch of the Fiat sourced 1.3l DDIS engine in the Swift Diesel way back in 2007.
Is similar change expected in future with Hybrid/Electric technology in 2020?
Curious[think]
Yes indeed, there will be a complete turn around.
Skip to 16:35 to understand the intent and future plans of GOI regarding Alternate Fuels .
E85 Fuel Explained - Should you use it?
Modi's speech in Paris accord
Why Dozens Of German Cities Are About To Ban Diesel Cars (HBO)
German manufacturers offload diesel cars to Eastern Europe | DW News
I only see strong demand for BS6 Gasoline cars and Strong hybrids in the near future, before we go full Electric. The Electric trend will start with MSIL and Toyota (partnered with Toshiba and Denso) as the factories start more and more localization. Honda is also waiting for proper charging infrastructure in place. Japanese OEMs around world are looking at 80% charge in 10 mins. So both batteries and charging infrastructure needs to be evolved. Honda has titanium oxide battery which has a very long life and fast charging ability.
Coming to Diesels, they will be only available in bigger cars but the demand will be reduced in this decade.
Toyota, Suzuki, Porsche, FIAT has already said that they are not going to make diesel engines anymore. Because they understood that Diesel tech is becoming too expensive and does not have a market for it in future so instead they are routing their R&D money towards developing EVs. GOI will highly promote EVs, hybrids and alternate fuels. Especially Ethanol because Ethanol boosts Octane rating. Reducing sulphur content in petrol decreases Octane levels also there by reduction in caloric value or energy content of the fuel. So to boost octane levels Ethanol will be mixed with regular gasoline. The percentage of Ethanol mix is still unknown, it could be anywhere between 10-22%. I am a pure diesel car lover but my vote is for a cleaner air. BS6-Diesels have very low CO2 levels so Diesels cannot be eradicated entirely. EVs need to have a minimum of 300+ Kms range at an affordable price to be adopted soon.
How fast the new tech gets adopted is purely based on govt, financial strength and necessity of the individual and feasibility/service. Our service technicians needs to be well trained and must become proficient in handling newer technologies like hybrid and EV. Our OEMs needs to do a lot of testing in Indian Conditions to rectify any unforeseen problems. Lastly, Indian mindset ! People do not adopt it unless it fully proven.

Last edited:
I think Maruti is not going to discontinue small diesel in 2020 as speculated. They are only trying to milk 1.3 DDIS as much as possible, which buys them time to fully test 1.5 DDIS before implementing it with BS-VI compliant norms in 2020. As only Phase-I of emission norms will be implemented in 2020 which only requires a DPF and not SCR. In phase-II when RDE is required by (2022-23) then SCR will be implemented. This is purely my analysis and I may be wrong. I am actually waiting for small BS6 Diesel cars in 2020 based on this note.
I have given more details on the same in a separate thread :
Is DPF Required For Private Vehicles Post BS-VI in India?

Yes indeed, there will be a complete turn around.
Skip to 16:35 to understand the intent and future plans of GOI regarding Alternate Fuels .
E85 Fuel Explained - Should you use it?
Modi's speech in Paris accord
Why Dozens Of German Cities Are About To Ban Diesel Cars (HBO)
German manufacturers offload diesel cars to Eastern Europe | DW News
I only see strong demand for BS6 Gasoline cars and Strong hybrids in the near future, before we go full Electric. The Electric trend will start with MSIL and Toyota (partnered with Toshiba and Denso) as the factories start more and more localization. Honda is also waiting for proper charging infrastructure in place. Japanese OEMs around world are looking at 80% charge in 10 mins. So both batteries and charging infrastructure needs to be evolved. Honda has titanium oxide battery which has a very long life and fast charging ability.
Coming to Diesels, they will be only available in bigger cars but the demand will be reduced in this decade.
Toyota, Suzuki, Porsche, FIAT has already said that they are not going to make diesel engines anymore. Because they understood that Diesel tech is becoming too expensive and does not have a market for it in future so instead they are routing their R&D money towards developing EVs. GOI will highly promote EVs, hybrids and alternate fuels. Especially Ethanol because Ethanol boosts Octane rating. Reducing sulphur content in petrol decreases Octane levels also there by reduction in caloric value or energy content of the fuel. So to boost octane levels Ethanol will be mixed with regular gasoline. The percentage of Ethanol mix is still unknown, it could be anywhere between 10-22%. I am a pure diesel car lover but my vote is for a cleaner air. BS6-Diesels have very low CO2 levels so Diesels cannot be eradicated entirely. EVs need to have a minimum of 300+ Kms range at an affordable price to be adopted soon.
How fast the new tech gets adopted is purely based on govt, financial strength and necessity of the individual and feasibility/service. Our service technicians needs to be well trained and must become proficient in handling newer technologies like hybrid and EV. Our OEMs needs to do a lot of testing in Indian Conditions to rectify any unforeseen problems. Lastly, Indian mindset ! People do not adopt it unless it fully proven.
@Volksjäger Amazing explanation to my post,
your insight about this topic is indeed very useful.
Thanks

Will this year benefit buyers due to BS6?
BS4 cars will be barred from selling from 1st April 2020,so will the companies start giving huge discounts in clearing the existing stocks of BS4 cars?

Will this year benefit buyers due to BS6?
BS4 cars will be barred from selling from 1st April 2020,so will the companies start giving huge discounts in clearing the existing stocks of BS4 cars?
For the most part, I see no benefit in buying a BS-IV car. GoI, NGT, NITI Ayog is planning to promote alternate fuels and convert mass transportation such as trains and buses into electric, CNG or E85 (85% Ethanol blend with 15% Gasoline). They slowly want to reduce the dependence on Diesel too.

In India everything happens slow but thanks to the Paris Accord. Now we are only 5 years behind when compared to UK w.r.t emission norms. And I am quiet confident that GoI will copy and implement UK methodologies to an extent. Because Diesels were very popular a decade ago in EU and same here too and now UK is very intolerant with any Diesel car and anything below Euro-VI, they also have heavy charge proposal for ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) and CC(Congestion Charge) Fifth Gear: Ultra Low Emission Zones. And now we have PM issue and PV's will become a soft target once public transportation is converted to alternate fuel or EV. It is easier for Govt authorities to adopt alternate power-trains but not for common people like us. And Diesel ban was implemented in UK and Sweden all of a sudden and people are going bonkers and sales have been all time low, just like in India 2019.. BMTC (Banglore) already bought electric buses, Hyderabad already bought electric buses and there might be a day where NGT or any other entity might implement (high possibility) ULEZ zones in concentrated areas where PM is high post 2025.

They give discounts because they aren't selling well and they know that they will be outdated soon and it is always bad to buy a car that is not selling well and that is not the current trend in the market (Engine in Production). Because there will be OBD-II, In-Cylinder injection changes, W3CC Catalyst Converter for a BS-VI petrol. So when there are so many changes for a BS-VI petrol Engine the changes wont be limited to exhaust system itself so BS-IV engine looses value.

Diesels are loosing ground and I wouldn't be surprised if Gasoline is cheaper than Diesel in future like in UK. If an individual wants to run a BS-IV Diesel, NGT has laid out certain rules, it has to be used for ambulance or public transport, goods carrier etc. And always there are better cars in the future and it is always good to buy a car with Engine in production. See how troubling the spare parts availability will be there for BS-IV 1.3 MJD despite being National Engine, 1.5 TDI or 1.5 TDCI. Once the engine is out of production no OEM gives so much importance to the spares such as engine head and other critical components and by 2025 there will be spare parts scarcity which will force the owners to let go off them and upgrade. For petrol engines some what okay but for BS-VI Petrol Engines it will be a smooth service for another decade.

What is the way forward on methanol-blending?
On the engine side, this has been tried out on new vehicles but using it on in-use vehicles is still going on.
BS-VI vehicles may debut by year-end: ARAI
Gasoline vs Ethanol vs Methanol : Methanol does more damage to the engine, so the new vehicles will be engineered for methanol too. But as per ARAI, fuel is tested for new engine and ongoing for existing engines. One more reason why you should wait for BS-VI engines.

Last edited:
Vehicle scrappage: Are we really ready for the challenge? : ET Auto
We moved from BS-III to BS-IV and now leapfrogging BS-V to BS-VI norms by 2020. Point to note is India is the only country to do so.
Delhi, one of the most polluting cities, has 28 per cent of space occupied by roads and 10 per cent by parking. The earth can accommodate a maximum of 8 billion people and we have already surpassed over 7.7 billion of world population.

Upping the ante, India is soon going to take up the most challenging job of having a comprehensive Automotive End of Life Policy (ELV) to deal with older fleet that contributes hugely to vehicular pollution.

Many experts argue that India needs to restrict automobiles to which the government doesn’t agree. The latter's argument is it will lose out a lot on the GDP growth as the sector contributes almost 8 per cent and also provides enormous jobs.
We often forget talking about the second place : Hyderabad air most polluted after Delhi’s.
And I was surprised to hear that it was Hyderabad as per recent survey's.
Crippling pollution; Hyderabad challenges Delhi, most toxic in South India
Diesel cars driving air quality downhill in Hyderabad
All this indicates that, GoI is going to crack down on older diesels and very old petrols in major metros soon. Any Diesel Engine which is non-BS6 might face 10 year ban soon.

Last edited:
Maruti to launch BS VI compliant vehicles before deadline
Maruti to roll out BS-VI compliant Petrol cars first by Q3 2019 in a phase by phase manner. And the market leader is also expected set a benchmark in pricing for BS-VI cars for other OEMs to follow.
How soon we can see production for BS-VI happen and how soon you think you will be able to phase out older version of non-compliant vehicles?
As far as BS-VI is concerned, the law now is no BS-IV vehicle can be registered after April 1, 2020. We have a large number of models. The only way we can ensure that we comply with the law is to start introducing BS-VI versions of some models in every quarter. Otherwise, it is not possible to do it. In the first quarter of this financial year, which is in April-June, there will be BS-VI cars from Maruti which will be launched in the market.

The car which will be launched will only be petrol cars because BS-VI petrol cars can operate safely on BS-IV petrol. BS-VI diesel cars cannot operate safely on BS-IV diesel. So we will not launch diesel cars at all till BS-VI diesel is available.

"BS-VI Petrol Cars will be launched first because BS6 petrol cars can safely operate on BS4 petrol but that's not the same with BS-VI Diesel cars. BS-VI Diesel cars will only be available when BS-VI Diesel is available."

-R.C.Bhargava (Chairman, Maruti Suzuki)
Source: Don’t Think Dealers Have Large Pile Up Of Inventory, Says Maruti’s Bhargava

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Will Not Extend Deadline For Sale Of BS4 Vehicles: Supreme Court

The Supreme Court Friday rejected the plea filed by an association of automobile dealers seeking extension of the April 1, 2020 deadline by one more month to sell Bharat Stage-IV (BS4) norms compliant vehicles across the country. The apex court had on October 24, 2018 said no Bharat Stage-IV (BS4) vehicle would be sold or registered in India from April 1, 2020.

Bharat Stage (BS) emission norms are standards instituted by the government to regulate output of air pollutants from motor vehicles. The BS4 norms have been enforced across the country since April 2017. In 2016, the Centre had announced that India would skip the BS5 norms altogether and adopt BS6 norms by 2020.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Government releases BS6 Emission Norms For Quadricycles

stbq5obc_bajaj-qute-first-drive-review_625x300_14_March_19.jpg

The Union Government in a much delayed decision has finally notified the Bharat stage 6 (BS6) emission norms for Quadricycles or L7 category of vehicles in the country. Similar emission norms for all other vehicle categories were already rolled out in the country starting April 1, 2020. The notification issued by the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways means that full-scale production of quadricycles can now restart. Quadricycles were introduced as a new category of transport vehicles in the country in the year 2018.

Read:

Top Bottom