India is No.1 In Road Accidents.

Putting up a indicator for overtaking is the truckers language . Dont know which idiot thought them.

Yes driving schools are to be blamed , ans top of that the RTO 's should be blamed.

Getting a license is easy job here , but my cousin in France was struggling to get one for past 2.5 year. Just last month she got her license.
The test is for nearly 1hr there and a to z testings are done there. even a fail in one need schooling for next 3 to5 months.

Thread Starter #17
Exactly! Another set of lights in the car would do great!! Or maybe integrate another light into the reverse light just to give side! Or would that make things more complex behind the steering wheel?
@Arun
There is no need for an extra lights.Only thing that must be done is make people aware of basic things of driving.

Karthik.
----------Next Post------------
ilango[speed thirst];4052 said:
Putting up a indicator for overtaking is the truckers language . Dont know which idiot thought them.

Yes driving schools are to be blamed , ans top of that the RTO 's should be blamed.

Getting a license is easy job here , but my cousin in France was struggling to get one for past 2.5 year. Just last month she got her license.
The test is for nearly 1hr there and a to z testings are done there. even a fail in one need schooling for next 3 to5 months.
Yes its true Illango,many people have complained that its difficult to obtain license in foreign countries like Dubai,UK.
In some places its more than two day procedure for obtaining license.

Karthik.

Last edited:
I am too, not surprised.!!
Driving is not only about controlling the car and making it move. It is about communicating with other vehicles on the road and moving safely because you have your own life, your car's life and the life of others around you on your own hands, and this basic thing is not taught by the driving schools. Because the moment you are aware of this, you automatically start following the rules, for which you needn't do a PhD.

Let me share my own story, or rather make a confession:-

Since birth I have had multiple surgeries in my eyes and throughout my face, say around 10-12 in counting. Given the problems I was born with and the treatment I have undergone, I know have an overall vision of around 70% of a normal eye, and this is with contact lens.
Now, at the same time, I have a love affair with cars. So when I came of the age and wanted to drive, my parents were shell shocked and asked me how I had the audacity to even have such desires, given my condition. But I never loss heart. I was sure that a little caution and responsibility would do the trick.
So, secretly, I started learning from a friend who had complete faith in me and took some kind of stupid eye test, after which he agreed to teach me. At first (and I still am) I was a bit scared because I was doing a high risk thing of risking my own life, my friends' life, his car's life and the life of people around me. When I shared this with him, he told me not to worry and continue with the lessons.
Gradually I learnt everything. From 20 kmph to now of 120 knph, it was all because of him. But when I drove, I found that I wasn't facing much problem and had a way or the other to make up with those so that I don't end up like in those accident pictures. I have problem at night so I don't drive at night and am waiting for my vision to get better.
Now I am a confident driver and drive fairly well for my driving age, though a little more practice is always welcome. Now, seeing me, my parents have come to accept this, though my dad still feels a bit dicey.
The point that I want to make here is 'HOW RESPONSIBLE YOU ARE????'
As far as my style of driving is concerned, it is totally unlike my age. In fact some tease me saying that I drive like a 40 year old. I never over-speed, I never take 'punga' with anyone, I don't cut lanes unnecessarily, I use my turn signals to the best effect, and follow all other rules. But the most important thing is-I ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND THAT I HAVE SOME DRAWBACKS WHICH MAY MAKE ME A LITTLE INEFFICIENT AND WHEN I AM ON THE ROAD, ITS NOT ONLY ABOUT ME, BUT ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD. And that is responsibility and maturity, something which most of us lack.
We drive rash, but we fail to judge the consequences. We cross roads with our cell phones in our ears, we cannot judge the consequences. We ride without helmets and seatbelts, we cannot judge the consequences. We drink and drive, we cannot judge the consequences.
WHEN WILL WE RISE, WHEN WILL WE BECOME AWARE????
In such a situation, when one comes and tells me that I am not fit to drive, then just imagine how I would feel.
The day we become responsible, everything will fall in line by itself, because there will be a fear factor working in us and we will be aware of the fact that whatever happens, happens only ONCE and this can destroy our lives FOREVER!!!!

Thats all I'd like to say!!

I am reminded of a bumper sticker ...
There are two types of pedestrians ... the quick and the dead.

Very very true in India.

Every one are to be blamed. The blame goes on.

People\we need to upgrade ourself , respect fellow being .

Start from this , signals are installed for our safety , dont every try to jump that.

Yup, I truly believe that the only way we can improve to the level of other countries is by self-imposed discipline.
There is no use in expecting the govt. to do anything great over the next many years.

great video but very few people learn from such things! first and most important thing a person should do is self discipline and manners!

14 people die every hour in road accidents

India's record in road deaths has touched a new low, as toll rose to at least 14 deaths per hour in 2008 against 13 the previous year. The total annual deaths due to road accidents has crossed 1.18 lakh, according to the latest report of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).

While trucks/lorries and two-wheelers were responsible for over 40% deaths, the rush during afternoon and evening hours were the most fatal phases. Traffic experts are alarmed over the shooting trend of fatalities on roads between 2003 and 2008, and progressive states having a significant share of road fatalities. While the toll was only 84,430 in 2003, it crossed 1.18 lakh in 2008, an increase of nearly 40%. Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu reported 12%, 11% and 10.8% of total road accident deaths in the country.

"The toll is on the rise and no one knows who is to be held responsible. Should central assistance for curbing accidents and fatalities be cut in case of states which are failing to reduce accidents and deaths? We must give a thought to the increasing tally of injured in road accidents," said Rohit Baluja, a member of the Commission for Global Road Safety.

In fact, 4.69 lakh people were injured in road accidents in 2008, nearly four times the total death toll. As per the annual NCRB report, road accidents had the maximum (37.1%) share of unnatural causes of accidental deaths in the country.

The report also defined the period between 3-6pm as the most accident prone phase during the day. Traffic experts said accident rates were high during this period as drivers felt stressed out and were often half-asleep while driving. "Early morning hours are also similarly critical," they added.

According to the report, small states had a dubious record as far as the rate of accident-deaths per thousand vehicles was concerned. It was highest in Arunachal Pradesh at 5.7, followed by 3.6 in the case of Sikkim. Similarly, the rate of deaths per 100 cases of road accidents was highest in Nagaland at 92.1 followed by Mizoram at 89.7, against the national level of 28.4.

Oh this is very worrying! Something needs to be done and the mistakes should be caught at the budding stage itself , that is the license acquiring stage! Only good proper drivers with good driving and road manners should be provided with licenses!!

Top Bottom