Important: Do I Need To Re-Register My Car in Transferee State?

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am moving from Ahmedabad to Bangalore next month, So I was planning to take my car along with me to Bangalore. My car(XUV 5OO-2016) is registered here in Ahmedabad. So I had the following queries[confused] about the transfer:

1. Do I need to transfer the registration to Bangalore by law?

2. What is the procedure of the transfer (If Compulsory)?

I am not planning to stay in Bangalore for more than 2 years so please advice keeping in mind that this is short term migration.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Ahmedabad to Bangalore next month, So I was planning to take my car along with me to Bangalore. My car(XUV 5OO-2016) is registered here in Ahmedabad. So I had the following queries[confused] about the transfer:

I am not planning to stay in Bangalore for more than 2 years so please advice keeping in mind that this is short term migration.

Thanks.
Yes, you would have to get a NOC(NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE) from ahmedabad rto and re register car at bangalore as you are here for 2yrs or else you would have to pay frequent fines to the cops as it is very difficult to prove that you would be travelling frequently between these two places.
Its important to prove in Period of Stay and it can be done by showing couple of documents like
» PUC Copy - the Pollution Certificate as last done in home State, date can validate
» Toll Tax Receipts in Original - Keep all Original Toll Tax reciepts in Car
» Fuel Bills - Keep a Copy of Original Petrol Bill last filled in Home State
» Stay Purpose - If you have a Job, keep Joining Date copy from Company. If coming for Hospital, keep hospital bill / admission date copy in the car
For people staying for more than one year in karnataka

They need to obtain State Transfer NOC from Home Town and get car re-registered in Karnataka by paying applicable road tax

Last edited:
dear Neelesh,
Welcome to Bengaluru
Your questions answered in the most practical way.In bold.

As per law, If you are going to stay for more than 11 months, yes you need to register.

Get the NOC from Ahmadavad, pay the road tax here, register here and get the road tax refunded from Ahmadavad.
This negates all the answers above. It is not viable to have the vehicle registered in Bengaluru , just for two years. Road tax will be too huge and refund is cumbersome at both places.The option is, you make at least two trips back to Gujarat in the next two years, to show your bills ( fuel bill, toll bill etc), must be within 11 months, when the police/RTO catches you. The PUC as well as Insurance must be issued in your state.

Thread Starter #4
dear Neelesh,
Welcome to Bengaluru
Your questions answered in the most practical way.In bold.

As per law, If you are going to stay for more than 11 months, yes you need to register.

Get the NOC from Ahmadavad, pay the road tax here, register here and get the road tax refunded from Ahmadavad.
This negates all the answers above. It is not viable to have the vehicle registered in Bengaluru , just for two years. Road tax will be too huge and refund is cumbersome at both places.The option is, you make at least two trips back to Gujarat in the next two years, to show your bills ( fuel bill, toll bill etc), must be within 11 months, when the police/RTO catches you. The PUC as well as Insurance must be issued in your state.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the descriptive response. However I would like some further clarity about the tax free period. Is it 11 months or 1 Year? It would be helpful If someone can provide a link to the rules and regulations of Karnatak RTO about the same issue. And I thought the same for the trip back to ahmedabad after the tax free period. :wink:

Top Bottom