If Petrol Price Crosses 100 Rs/Ltr. What Will You Do?

Thread Starter #1
Current Date :10/09/2018: Petrol price in Mumbai is 88.12Rs/ltr

There is a very small difference of only 11.88/- rupees left to touch 100/-, it’s INEVITABLE. The Petrol prices are never going to come down or remain stagnant.

Petrol price in Mumbai on 01/08/2002: 33.64Rs/ltr
Petrol price in Mumbai on 06/06/2008: 55.88Rs/ltr
Petrol price in Mumbai on 15/05/2011: 68.33Rs/ltr
Petrol price in Mumbai on 01/09/2013: 81.57Rs/ltr

In between all these years,many months the prices have gone up or stayed down.

So the main QUESTION,
What if the price crosses 100Rs/ltr in future?
ANSWER: I will have to completely work my expenses and add the petrol expenses under major monthly expenditures. If after all calculations I feel maintaining monthly Petrol expenses is not feasible I will look to buy a 2 wheeler with the max mileage to cover my daily run which is close to 10kms/day.

Disclaimer: This is not a Political Thread(please don’t convert it into one), its just an AAM AADMI’s worry and the solution to it.

My personal opinion is, prices should be high and there shouldn't be any subsidy either for the diesel or petrol especially for the private Vehicles.

At the same time make the public transportation cheaper and easier. Let's cut down of too much of exhaust gases.

I prefer an IC engine than an electric motor vehicle, but still government should discourage the usage and production of new IC engine vehicles to promote the usage of electric Vehicles.

I'm quite happy with the current FE of my car. So I will continue using it without much problem.

Last edited:
A timely thread, thanks for the same silvereyez.

I totally agree with Kiran, no subsidy for private vehicles but improve the transport sector, let there be private party participation, just like south India, you see how effective and efficient the long distance bus's are?

But we do have a long way to go.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Nothing much I/We can do. Dollar/Rupee exchange rate increase also contributes a major part in this continuous/steady increase in oil prices. Prices are not going to come down unless the government reduces the taxes on oil. Also, our public transport system is not that effective or convenient.

So all in all this scenario will continue and we will have to live with it - maybe I can avoid unnecessary traveling and use the vehicle only for urgent matters.?

Thread Starter #6
A timely thread, thanks for the same silvereyez.
Thanks Sir[:)]

I totally agree with Kiran, no subsidy for private vehicles but improve the transport sector, let there be private party participation, just like south India, you see how effective and efficient the long distance bus's are?

But we do have a long way to go.
I have travelled a lot by Public Transport, but the convenience and comfort of a private vehicle in a day to day basis cannot be matched.

My personal opinion is, prices should be high and there shouldn't be any subsidy either for the diesel or petrol especially for the private Vehicles.

At the same time make the public transportation cheaper and easier. Let's cut down of too much of exhaust gases.
I have a problem way fuel prices are taxed in India and that carries no rationale. Revenue can surely be mopped up from other sources many of which are known to economists and polititians but they dont dare to take that step.

Coming back to topic of this thread. As monthly expenses increase I am looking forward to cut down unnecessary travel. Note public transport prices are being increased substantially eg. bus fares and OLA/UBER rates. Car pooling in cities is way to go. I live in area where bus services are poor I have to choose between Auto rickshaw / App based taxi or own car for travel. I prefer to do last one as it works cheaper than all alternatives.

Lastly as a nation we should move more towards e-mobility and e-vehicles.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
It's already near 80₹. So the sky won't come crashing down. There will be just more hue and cry, that's all. People will continue buying and driving.

I agree, but Central Government is under increasing pressure to bring petrol prices down and I think subsequently they will also pressurize the State Govts to agree to bring petrol/diesel within GST. Let us see, as Election year is approaching.

I don't believe that electric cars will be a big hit since the driving range will be very less (100-200 kms etc) and most car owners at least have some long distance travel in mind when buying a car (What is the point of a car for purely local commute, when you have a lot of other options?), and I cannot imagine waiting hours for a recharge at some remote charging station (filling tank with petrol takes few minutes, but how long would charging a car take?)

But there are other alternative fuel technologies that can be also explored, like fuel cell etc.

Last edited:
So the main QUESTION,
What if the price crosses 100Rs/ltr in future?
Excellent thread Brother.

In dilemma whether to choose convenience or to less burn pocket.
I do agree with you that presently no public transport can even come close to private cars when it comes to convenience, and vice versa when it comes to cost.

If I can predict, my answer to this question will be to shift to electric cars, only if I get same level of convenience. Or else, as now will keep using diesel cars, they are much frugal :stupid:

Thread Starter #11
I don't believe that electric cars will be a big hit since the driving range will be very less (100-200 kms etc) and most car owners at least have some long distance travel in mind when buying a car (What is the point of a car for purely local commute, when you have a lot of other options?), and I cannot imagine waiting hours for a recharge at some remote charging station (filling tank with petrol takes few minutes, but how long would charging a car take?)
I agree with your point of view, as of now the scenario of Indian Auto Industry is that EV's are still in the R&D of all Indian major manufacturers with no prototype ready yet.Its gonna take a few years for some practical and acceptable EV to hit India.
The EV car should have a range of 250-300kms,ABS with EBD,ESC, and other important features along with the practicality of dash charge.

Fuel Prices: Is It Going To Be An End For Enthusiasts Drives?

With day by day increase in fuel price - From Sept 1 2018(81rs in TVM) , and now on Sept 19 2018(86rs in TVM), its approaching a century. Among hardcore enthusiasts , this price is gonna be just killing. Will there will be a shift towards Hybrids (Complete Hybrids), Solar cars etc. Thinking the government is enforcing higher fuel prices to promote renewable sources cars.

Moderators merge the thread if already one exists.

Re: Fuel Prices- Is it going to be an end for enthusiasts drives

Shift towards Hybrids is going to happen irrespective of fuel prices, as with the emission standards getting more stringent, there is no other way out. The rising fuel prices would fuel the change, by making the Hybrid technology more value for money, with the fuel savings. This is not just a trend in India but world wide.
I do not think the increase in fuel prices is a deliberate move by the government to force us into using hybrids or renewable options, but rather its reluctance and inability to reduce the prices by reducing taxes or fight against the strengthening dollar. Had they been trying to move us to electric or hybrids, the government would have worked more on helping with setting up of the infrastructure and also give rebates for clean vehicles. Right now,even though there is some tax rebate on electrics, the back and forth decisions regarding the same has kept quite a few brands who have good electric cars abroad to venture into the Indian market.

Top Bottom