ICE Upgrade Suggestion For VW Polo

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys, I've decided to get my polo Trendline ICE'd to a decent SQ setup. It came with kenwood U549BT and 4 OEM speakers as compliment from VW dealer. I've been facing some issues with the HU lately for which I'll be getting a replacement soon.
A friend of mine gave me the following components as he has sold his swift and got a VW polo GT which he wants to keep it bone stock.
HU - JVC KW-AVX 846
Amp - Hertz HE-2
AMP - Rockford fosgate prime R250-1
Sub - Pioneer WX303 (not gonna install)
I already have Dampmat flex9.

My plan is to do the upgrade in 2 stages.
Stage 1: Damp + Install these and get a pair of components for the front. The rear OEM speakers will be powered by HU. A better 10" sub(space constraints) in a sealed enclosure and a wiring kit

Stage 2: Get a good 4 channel amp with a decent pair of coaxial for rear + a good mono block amp.

Car: Polo Trendline petrol (2014)

Budget Range: 25~28K for now

Preferred Music Genre: depending on the mood - English pop, ARR hits, few tamil and hindi tracks

Existing Audio Setup: OEM speakers on 4 doors with kenwood U549BT

Preferred Brands (If any): I want the components to sound warm and clear with sweet sounding tweeters without fatiguing (silk dome preferably). I've auditioned the infinity kappa components powered by kappa 4 in a swift and i loved them for the clarity. So my list of components from the reviews,
Infinity kappa 60.11CS
Helix E62C
Alpine SPS-610C
If there is more to consider for my taste of music, please let me know.

Now coming to the Sub, I need tight bass without getting overwhelming/boomy. So I guess a sealed enclosure would do. I don't want the sub to eat up much of the boot space so planning to get a 10" in a 0.75Cuft sealed enclosure. Sub I've shortlisted are,
Infinity Kappa 100.9w
Polk MM1040
Alpine SWS-10D4
Again if i'm missing some options for my taste, please let me know.

For wiring, planning to get focal PK21. The installation will be done by a professional installer with water guards and spacers.

Misc. Details / Specific Questions: I'm thinking on installing the amps on the rear of passenger seat so that tuning will be easier from the boot. Is it advisable or should I install them elsewhere?

Help me out on selecting the comps and sub.

-Regards,
Shivram.

Hello guys, I've decided to get my polo Trendline ICE'd to a decent SQ setup. It came with kenwood U549BT and 4 OEM speakers as compliment from VW dealer. I've been facing some issues with the HU lately for which I'll be getting a replacement soon.
A friend of mine gave me the following components as he has sold his swift and got a VW polo GT which he wants to keep it bone stock.
HU - JVC KW-AVX 846
Amp - Hertz HE-2
AMP - Rockford fosgate prime R250-1
Sub - Pioneer WX303 (not gonna install)
I already have Dampmat flex9.

My plan is to do the upgrade in 2 stages.
Stage 1: Damp + Install these and get a pair of components for the front. The rear OEM speakers will be powered by HU. A better 10" sub(space constraints) in a sealed enclosure and a wiring kit

Stage 2: Get a good 4 channel amp with a decent pair of coaxial for rear + a good mono block amp.

Car: Polo Trendline petrol (2014)

Budget Range: 25~28K for now

Preferred Music Genre: depending on the mood - English pop, ARR hits, few tamil and hindi tracks

Existing Audio Setup: OEM speakers on 4 doors with kenwood U549BT

Preferred Brands (If any): I want the components to sound warm and clear with sweet sounding tweeters without fatiguing (silk dome preferably). I've auditioned the infinity kappa components powered by kappa 4 in a swift and i loved them for the clarity. So my list of components from the reviews,
Infinity kappa 60.11CS
Helix E62C
Alpine SPS-610C
If there is more to consider for my taste of music, please let me know.

Now coming to the Sub, I need tight bass without getting overwhelming/boomy. So I guess a sealed enclosure would do. I don't want the sub to eat up much of the boot space so planning to get a 10" in a 0.75Cuft sealed enclosure. Sub I've shortlisted are,
Infinity Kappa 100.9w
Polk MM1040
Alpine SWS-10D4
Again if i'm missing some options for my taste, please let me know.

For wiring, planning to get focal PK21. The installation will be done by a professional installer with water guards and spacers.

Misc. Details / Specific Questions: I'm thinking on installing the amps on the rear of passenger seat so that tuning will be easier from the boot. Is it advisable or should I install them elsewhere?

Help me out on selecting the comps and sub.

-Regards,
Shivram.
Hey Shivram.

So what I understood from the above post is :

Stage 1 (Budget - Rs. 28k)
Components for front
10" Subwoofer
Sealed MDF Box
Wiring Kit

Stage 2
New Mono Amp
Rear Coaxial
New 4 Channel Amp

So, starting with Stage 1, I would suggest you to get any of the mentioned subwoofers : Infinity Kappa and Polk 1040 sound great. I am having MM1240 (12") and it sounds better than Kappa 120.9w (12") which I had earlier. The problem with Kappa was that it didn't hit much hard on bass kicks and became too loud (loudness which is heard and not felt) on droning basslines. The Polk is deep, hits very hard and with proper tuning, makes its presence felt only when needed (i.e. no excessive growling notes). You can audition both of them and decide. Actually 12" subwoofers are a better bet (for the price) than 10" and push more air (and thus more bass), but if you really want to save some more space, go for 10" only as the models you've shortlisted are competent. These 10" ones should not cost above 10k IIRC.

Now remember that you have 2 amplifiers. So if you plan to do seperate wiring for both (like I have done) i.e. seperate power cable and seperate RCAs, you will need 2 amplifier wiring kits. If you want to have a common connection for power wire and RCAs (if any one of your amplifier has Amplifier Preouts, which would continue the RCA connection to the other amplifier without re-wiring), you can opt for only 1 wiring kit. In the worst case, if any of amplifiers don't have preouts, get Scosche RCAs and make a new connection from the head unit. So, basically one kit would set you back by upto 5k.

Sealed MDF box would be upto 1k, add another 1k for water guard spacers, connectors and other small bits.

Now you have a decent 10k (approx) budget for the front components. 6" to 6.5" should be the size. For your listening taste, JBL MS and Rainbow components are a good example, but will be a bit more than your budget. Infinity 60.11CS has good reviews. I haven't heard Helix equipment yet, so won't comment. Look for Polk DB6501 also. Hertz Energy series components (forgot the model number) are a bit bright (tweeters) but overall clarity is decent, it should also be in your budget. Finally you should audition everything before buying.

Amplifiers (HE2 and RF 250.1) are decent for now as you are anyway planning to upgrade them later. Get them installed on the back of rear seat. If fitting both of them is difficult, try a T shape arrangement (one amplifier perpendicular to the other) or fit the amplifier (for speakers) below the co-driver seat. Focal PK21 is a 4 Gauge kit, which would be better considering your wish to upgrade in the future. Else PK8 was also good as an 8 Gauge kit. I am having GTO1004 which needs 4 Ga Kit, if you want to do it the cheaper (and equally good quality) way, get Finolex power cable (consult member bhvm for prices and right type), some speaker wires and get Scosche RCAs.

Thread Starter #3
Actually 12" subwoofers are a better bet (for the price) than 10" and push more air (and thus more bass), but if you really want to save some more space, go for 10" only as the models you've shortlisted are competent. These 10" ones should not cost above 10k IIRC.
Yes that's true regarding 12" Sub but 10" will definitely save space in my case.

In the worst case, if any of amplifiers don't have preouts, get Scosche RCAs and make a new connection from the head unit. So, basically one kit would set you back by upto 5k.
The Amps will be powered individually and same for the preouts.

For your listening taste, JBL MS and Rainbow components are a good example, but will be a bit more than your budget. Infinity 60.11CS has good reviews.
MS series from JBL aren't pleasing for my ears. kappa comps sounded great(auditioned in a swift with kappa 4 amp). Will audition the polk comps too.

Amplifiers (HE2 and RF 250.1) are decent for now as you are anyway planning to upgrade them later. Get them installed on the back of rear seat. If fitting both of them is difficult, try a T shape arrangement (one amplifier perpendicular to the other)
Yes both will be installed at the rear. 'T' arrangement is a good idea thanks for that.

Focal PK21 is a 4 Gauge kit, which would be better considering your wish to upgrade in the future. Else PK8 was also good as an 8 Gauge kit. I am having GTO1004 which needs 4 Ga Kit, if you want to do it the cheaper (and equally good quality) way, get Finolex power cable (consult member bhvm for prices and right type), some speaker wires and get Scosche RCAs.
I'll be using 4 ga kit as I'll be upgrading the amps. Finolex are good too! Will check it out then.

Thread Starter #4
I was quoted the foll. for Components,
Kappa: 12,500/-
helix: 12,000/-
Alpine: not able to find as of now.

For subwoofer,
kappa 100.9: 10,500/-
For polk n alpine sub, will get the prices by tomorrow.

I was quoted the foll. for Components,
Kappa: 12,500/-
helix: 12,000/-
Alpine: not able to find as of now.

For subwoofer,
kappa 100.9: 10,500/-
For polk n alpine sub, will get the prices by tomorrow.
Yes, the prices are fine if the above equipment is with bill and warranty. I have no idea about Helix comps but from what the internet says, 12k is a good price.

What is your location?

Thread Starter #6
Yes, the prices are fine if the above equipment is with bill and warranty. I have no idea about Helix comps but from what the internet says, 12k is a good price.

What is your location?
Yes all these come with bill and warranty. I'm at Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

Thread Starter #7
Update: decided on morel maximo components. And placed an order for Polk mm1040 dvc through the dealer.
Reason for picking the polk sub is that the mounting depth is just 4.5" so that'll save a good amount of enclosure depth.

Now coming to the fundamental part, need suggestions on deciding the wiring like gauge and config. Should I use a distribution block or go for 2 kits? And which RCAs?
Also suggest a good wiring kit and rca. Budget 6-8k(Max)

Thanks.

Update: decided on morel maximo components. And placed an order for Polk mm1040 dvc through the dealer.
Reason for picking the polk sub is that the mounting depth is just 4.5" so that'll save a good amount of enclosure depth.

Now coming to the fundamental part, need suggestions on deciding the wiring like gauge and config. Should I use a distribution block or go for 2 kits? And which RCAs?
Also suggest a good wiring kit and rca. Budget 6-8k(Max)

Thanks.
Yes MM series of Polk has very less mounting depth.

Go for 8 Gauge amp kit now, but you will have to change to 4 Gauge if you get better amplifiers later on. Focal kits come with RCAs, some speaker wire and power+ground wire. PK8 is priced around 2.5k while PK21 (4 Gauge) is for around 4.5k. If you want RCAs seperately, get Scosche RCAs. In fact, if your budget is strictly 6-8k, you can opt for Finolex power+ground wires and get Scosche RCAs seperately. This will cost you almost 60% the price of a branded kit.

Which distribution block are you getting? If it costs under 4k, go for it otherwise get a seperate wiring kit for the other amplifier.

Thread Starter #9
Sorry for the late update guys, got my polo ICE'd on 25th december as a christmas gift.
Components installed,
Headunit: JVC-AVX846
Amp 1: Hertz HE2
Amp 2: Rockford Fosgate Prime R250-1
Components: Morel Maximo
Subwoofer: Pioneer TX-W303
Damping: Dampmat Flex

For wiring,
Quadan 4Ga from battery to distribution block
Quadan 8Ga for powering the Amplifiers
Quadan 12Ga for powering the speakers and subwoofer

The reason for choosing Quadan is, they were the only decent cable i could find in and around my hometown.
Also installed a rear parking camera.

Installer: JL Auto Accessories, Madurai.
The installation started on 25-dec 11AM and ended on 26-dec 6PM as only one guy was working on my car.
The progress was slow yet very careful and routing of cables were very neat so no complaints there.

Some Installation Pics(pardon the poor quality images),

Tweeter mounted on the dash,

The sound signature with flat eq to my ears sounded somewhere between warm and bright, fiddling with eq sounded the way I wanted.
The only odd one of this setup is the subwoofer. IMO, a ported enclosure sub doesn't compliment a hatch's music system.
The Polk subwoofer my installer received was a SVC and it was damaged severely. So had to install the pioneer sub for now.
Probably I'll install the new subwoofer this weekend.

Thanks ice_wise for your suggestions.
So far happy with this basic setup. More upgrades on the way.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late update guys, got my polo ICE'd on 25th december as a christmas gift.
Components installed,
Headunit: JVC-AVX846
Amp 1: Hertz HE2
Amp 2: Rockford Fosgate Prime R250-1
Components: Morel Maximo
Subwoofer: Pioneer TX-W303
Damping: Dampmat Flex

For wiring,
Quadan 4Ga from battery to distribution block
Quadan 8Ga for powering the Amplifiers
Quadan 12Ga for powering the speakers and subwoofer

The reason for choosing Quadan is, they were the only decent cable i could find in and around my hometown.
Also installed a rear parking camera.

Installer: JL Auto Accessories, Madurai.
The installation started on 25-dec 11AM and ended on 26-dec 6PM as only one guy was working on my car.
The progress was slow yet very careful and routing of cables were very neat so no complaints there.

Some Installation Pics(pardon the poor quality images),
Tweeter mounted on the dash,

The sound signature with flat eq to my ears sounded somewhere between warm and bright, fiddling with eq sounded the way I wanted.
The only odd one of this setup is the subwoofer. IMO, a ported enclosure sub doesn't compliment a hatch's music system.
The Polk subwoofer my installer received was a SVC and it was damaged severely. So had to install the pioneer sub for now.
Probably I'll install the new subwoofer this weekend.

Thanks ice_wise for your suggestions.
So far happy with this basic setup. More upgrades on the way.
The setup, and particularly the installation, looks nice. Try closing the port of the sub with something, if it helps. Ported enclosures are good for loud bass with less power, sealed require more power but provide better quality bass. Get a good subwoofer in a sealed enclosure and you will be a happy man. Do you need help on tuning the amps?

1. Did you use the entire 36 sq.ft. pack of Dampmat?
2. Did you have any problem in the HU/error codes in MID after the install?
3. It looks like the HU juts out of the slot. Why is it so? Was the installation depth not proper?
4. Was the wiring of the car pre-laid by VW? If so, did you extend to the original wiring or laid new one?

And glad that I was of help to you. [:)]

Thread Starter #11
Sorry for the very late update. I was too busy enjoying my ICE [:D][;)]

Changed the Sub to Polk MM1040 DVC in a custom enclosure carefully made to fit in polo w/o disturbing the spare tyre area.
Also changed the amp to Blaupunkt 470 DSP as the hertz HE2 did not meet the expectation with the morel. Got a good deal on this never used amp from a friend.

So finally 100% satisfied with the outcome, though I feel RF prime R250-1 struggles to feed the Sub.

Do you need help on tuning the amps?

1. Did you use the entire 36 sq.ft. pack of Dampmat?
2. Did you have any problem in the HU/error codes in MID after the install?
3. It looks like the HU juts out of the slot. Why is it so? Was the installation depth not proper?
4. Was the wiring of the car pre-laid by VW? If so, did you extend to the original wiring or laid new one?
Tips on tuning are always welcome, I could learn from it.

1. The rear doors are not damped yet and it still has the factory speakers installed. I still have 3 sheets remaining which would just suffice. So 36 sq.ft. is just enough for damping the doors of a hatch.
2. No such error codes.
3. It could be pushed in further but was afraid it would put pressure on the connections behind. I need to measure it and correct it.
4. Yes, it had 4 speakers installed on the doors. So wiring was pre-laid and new wires were laid from the HU to amp & amp to the door connector.

Attachments

Top Bottom